PDA

View Full Version : Occaneechi Get Recognized By a Technicality

truesaponi
08-29-2001, 11:02 AM
So,

The Occaneechi Band of Saponi (sic) "Indians" got recognized by a technicality. It seems pretty funny that a group of people who wholly are not recognized by their so-called peers, the recognized Indian people of North Carolina, but they have received recognition. I am sick and tired of them using and taking an identity that they have made up. Their history is clouded with intense speculation about their "Saponi" origins and lines of descent used by other recognized Indian groups. For those that have done research it is obvious that the Saponi that they lay claim to winded up in Old Granville County and Edgecombe precinct, the home of the Haliwa-Saponi Indian Tribe. The Occaneechi need to quit and find another route to claim Indian ancestry.

troislangues
08-30-2001, 12:31 PM
I dont get it. Many of us are descendants of those that have migrated and the trails leading back to our origins are weeded up. Please explain. The Occaneechi are not real? Confusing. Please enlighten. Also, what are the surnames you know of amongst all Saponi? Could you please post from the top of your head? The old surnames posting is not updated or at least I couldn't find it. My interested surnames are:

Treece
Hudson
Lee

Lastly, the county you mentioned was in which state? Thank you. If you want to , you may contact me privately:[troislangues@accessatlanta.com]

Brenda Collins Dillon
08-30-2001, 06:39 PM
When I moved my site I kept the NA Timeline and added some links to it to make a "section" . If you follow the link provided it will take you there and on that page is a button to click on that has a number of Saponi named along with others of the SE Tribes. Hope this helps.
http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/dillon1944/natimeline.htm

Linda
08-30-2001, 09:36 PM
Hello, TrueSaponi, welcome to our board. I take it you're Haliwa and it's nice to see someone from over there over here. I'd be interested in learning more about your research.

We have been doing a lot of it too, and what we've found is that many Saponi hit the high road and the low road and every road in between and can be found in pockets all over the country. Some of them didn't go anywhere but stayed put where they were.

It's a fascinating story and I hope you'll be interested in checking into it. It's touching how hard our people worked at keeping a sense of themselves together over a very long period of time, as far flung as they were. A couple hundred years anyway. In my own family, I saw clues that they were keeping in touch with people back in NC three generations after they'd left.

Again, welcome.

BTW, some of the people in the Indian settlement my maternal grandmother was from in Wisconsin, yes, I said Wisconsin, moved there from Granville County! They were my cousin's, cousin's, cousins. Neighbors and in-laws.

They left a lot of paperwork in the archives in Washington when they tried to apply as Cherokee in the 1910's, denied. The rest of the people in that settlment were from Robeson County or Orange & Culpepper Counties in VA, with names I've seen associated with Saponi names. It's really exciting tracing all this down. Maybe you'll be able to help. We'd sure appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 08-30-2001).]

Brenda Collins Dillon
08-31-2001, 07:41 AM
Linda,

What county in Wis. are you talking about. I loose some of my Collins and then they resurface . I have never checked Wis for them tho..It might be worth checking.

Brenda

Linda
08-31-2001, 11:28 AM
Vernon County, WI. A bunch of the names there are the same as Crystal's Northampton "Portugeuse Settlement" people, and that's where they came from. They're her cousins! They went from NC to OH briefly, then on into WI, though. No records of anybody passing through KY that I know of. There's other people in the Vernon County settlement who came up straight from Robeson County in the 1850's. They're on the Lumbee rolls now.

But then our family went there via a VA>PA>OH>IL>WI route and took more than a few generations getting there, so by all means, see if you find any Collins out there. I'll ask my genealogist friend if he spotted any Colins. What's your other names?