PDA

View Full Version : Family Surnames I am searching for?

lomon
12-31-2001, 12:53 PM
Hello, I am new to the list, but most of my family were from the Piedmont area and Va.
My family members were
John Adam Walker his wife Elizabeth Hood, they had a daughter named Polly born 1803, North Carolina.
Other surnames are
Green, Hill, Daniel, Rhodes, Thomas, Briggs,
Webb, Carroll, Fuller, Reeves, Leehman or Laymon, Chisum, Russell, Lewallen, Jeffreys,
Gillentine, etc.
Can any tell me if these surnames belong to the Saponi Tribe.
Thanks Vickie

------------------

Linda
01-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Hello Vicki, welcome to our board,

Walker is a Saponi name.
Greene is a common SE Indian name.
Daniels is associated with Machupunga.
Thomas is associated with Tuscarora.
Jeffreys of course is a core Saponi name.

You've got quite a bit to work on there. You'll find some historical articles linked on the main page. That may help you get some context. Did you receive two emails from me, or one? I know I wrote the second, I went to check what I'd already told you and couldn't find it in my sent file. Sorry if you didn't receive. I really wasn't ignoring you.

barryc
01-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi Vickie:

I have Greens and Walkers in our triracial community in Greentown VA. This is a community that is on the 36 mile Saponi reservation in Lawreceville. Yes, these two are Saponi names.

Barry

troislangues
01-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Hi Lomon,

Russell is one of our lines and they are known to be of the Pennsylvania Region and of tri-racial heritage with German (PA Deutsch). I am still trying to figure out the Black Dutch connection to the eastern Tribes.