PDA

View Full Version : Sur Names

Littleraven
08-09-2001, 11:34 PM
Osiyo , I am new here ,and I hope you all are well . I'm looking up family names ,I am 65 and I know I am starting on this late in life .
My family sur names are : Ellis,Corbin,Woods,
Smart,Brown,Dehart, These are just a few .
The Ellis And Corbin side is from North
Carolina area and came into Missouri .The woods are from Kentucky and around the same area . They went into Missouri and Arkansas.
I am really hopeing to find a lot more Info then what I already have .
If anyone here can help me I would be so
gratefull. Im trying to make a family tree
for my children , grand children and my 8 great grand children
Wado
your sister in spirit
littleraven

Linda
08-10-2001, 05:26 PM
What time frames were your people in these states? How long have they been in Missouri?

Crystal
08-12-2001, 10:11 PM
I am curious about your Ellis side of the family. You say they are from NC? What part(s)? I know that Surry County is eat up with Ellis and I am wondering if your line is traceable back to Surry County VA.

Crystal http://winwinworld.net/SaponiForum/UBB/wink.gif

------------------
Crystal:)

troislangues
09-11-2001, 11:24 AM
More surnames from Aframeridian Slave Narratives:

Perryman
Carter
Vann
Wickliff
Wright
Windham
Moore
Shelby
Perkins
Mack

Linda, this is no comprehensive list but some names have been mentioned before. Also, there are alot of people on OK/KS/MO message boards with the Cherokee/Blackfoot identification and I will begin to record their surnames (of the BLFT ancestor).

troislangues
09-11-2001, 11:25 AM
Forgot the URL:
http://www.columbia.edu/%7Epm47/afram/index.htm

Wallace L. Johnson
11-18-2001, 06:24 PM
I too am a descendant of Ellises. My great grandmother was Mary Magdeline Ellis, daughter of Philip Ellis and Martha Mahon. Have been told by family that they were Indian but have not found proof of that. They lived in present day Logan County, West Virginia.

I also have a line of Rakes from Franklin County, Virginia that supposedly were of Indian descent also. re: Rhoda Rakes married to John Spaulding. Is believed he left his family in Prince Edward County, Virgina because he had married an Indian.

Does anyone know of any Ellis or Rakes connection to Indians in Virginia?

nicosaponi
11-28-2001, 01:00 AM
Linda,
Are you or anyone familiar with the histories of these particular surnames;
Timbers
Mack
Battle and Arrington.Any info would be appreciated.

------------------

vance hawkins
11-28-2001, 12:08 PM
I have Wood(s) and Brown ancestors. Wood(s) from NC/Va/WVa-Tn-In-Ar-Ok. Brown Al-Ky-Al-Ar-Ok

Maybe I ran into you before.

vance hawkins

aka longcoat

Linda
11-28-2001, 06:05 PM
Nicole, I don't recognize any of those names in connection with NC/VA Saponi. My husband has relatives by the name of Timbers, but they're up in New Jersey at this point, don't know where they originated.

Vance, your Woods certainly seem to be following a classic path out of NC. The Woods name is on the SE American Indian Family Surnames list, as Creek, Ellis is there, tribe unspecified.

Little Raven, have you heard of the Mahenip Band of the Saponi Nation in MO? Maybe someone there can help you with your relations who migrated there.

Sekon
12-02-2001, 11:03 AM
I know of several Coharies with the last name of Arrington.

~Sekon~

Coharie Roy
12-02-2001, 06:34 PM
Sekon,

I'm unfamiliar with the Coharie surname, ARRINGTON. Do you mean BREWINGTON? Brewington is far and away the most common surname among the Coharie.

Other very common Coharie surnames are: Simmons, Emanuel/Manuel, Maynor, Jacobs, Strickland, Bell, Hardin, Whitehead, Bedsole, Ammons, and Carters.

Additional surnames found among the Coharie are Goodman, Burnette, Wilkins, Faircloth, Chance, Warrick, Jones, Groves, Robinson, and Smith.

Surnames closely associated with the Coharie are Seaberry, Thomas, and Ransom.

Coharie surnames shared with the Lumbee are Chavis, Lowry, and Locklear.

The above are the old names; names which appear on Mr. Enoch Emanuel's 1916 family history/census. I'm sure that other more recent surnames have entered the Coharie as a result of post 1916 marriages.

Sekon
12-02-2001, 07:52 PM
Hi Roy. Yes, I know those names and they are very common Coharie names. One of my best friends is a Coharie Ammons. But I do know of several people who are Coharie,(all related), with the last name of Arrington. It's possible that the name came from intermarriage.

~Sekon~

[This message has been edited by Sekon (edited 12-02-2001).]

Linda
12-02-2001, 11:19 PM
Well Sekon, Sekon!

I'm tickled to see you gracing these threads. This is a much quieter place than T.com, Sekon, but we have our moments.

Sekon is an old friend who gave me a lot of encouragement when I first started looking for clues on my native ancestors. I kind of have a feeling that her children five and six generations from now are going to feel her presence as much as I feel the presence and influence of my 5x gr-grandmas. Not to say she's a meddlesome prankster like some 5x gr-grandmas I know, haha, I'm not implying that at all.

nicosaponi
12-04-2001, 02:50 PM
Sekon,
I'm related to Arringtons in Nash,
county NC.Do you know if they have a connection to the Coharies of Lumberton/Robeson counties?Do you know anything about the surname Battle.I know from my own family that they intermarried
with the Arringtons.

------------------

Sekon
12-09-2001, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the sweet compliment, Linda. BYTW, I was just thinking about that egg drop soup we ate in Cherokee that tasted like formaldehyde just yesterday...lol.

Nicosaponi, I'm sorry for the late response, I just checked the forum today. No, I don't know of any connection between the Arringtons and the Coharie, of Robeson County. I can ask my friends mother, who's from Sampson County--she seems to know everyone from Sampson and Robeson Co.

I don't recall the name Battle, but you're probably on the mark that the Arrington name is an intermarriage name. But CoharieRoy mentioned that Burnette is a Coharie name. A dear friend of mine is a Robeson County Burnette, so maybe that's another Coharie/Robeson Co. connection.

~Sekon~

tasheaka
01-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Sekon,
My gg grandfather was Godfrey Brown, he was born in Brunswick County, Va in the early 1700's. He married Chaney and I was told her last name was Banks but I don't know for sure. My ggrandmother was Anna Branham, I know that she was not born in Ohio, none of them were. I need help, I appreciate it.
tasheaka

itconani
01-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Tasheaka -
Maybe im way off course here.
Branham is an unusual name - so not very common. Have you looked at the Monacan?
Half the tribe is a Branham.
i thought i might be stating the obvious - but i dont know where youre from or any of that.
Ahearst Co. Virginia ring any bells?
Lynchburg? Buffalo ridge cherokees (old name)?

tasheaka
01-22-2002, 03:47 PM
Itconani-
My family research on my mother's lines have been done by the Haithcock's and I found that I have some of the same family names on both sides. I would like to find out more about the Branhams. My great uncle is 80+ and recalls that they had strong features and were loners, not very friendly. He said they were indian people however, he doesn't know for sure where they came from. Not Ohio
some of them ended up here, I met a Branham in New York last year around Tonawanda, NY.

Tasheaka

Linda
01-22-2002, 06:49 PM
My husband Barry's elder cousin is a Banks from Brunswick County. I'll see if I can scare up his email address.

Tom
01-23-2002, 01:53 PM
Hello All, I thought that I should join in, finally someone has posted one of our families sir names, Hardin, 3 boys were in Sampson co. during the 1820s Abraham, Solomon, and James but after that I was told that these 3 boys disapear from the records,my families research led us into White Co. Tn where these 3 people show up but are they the same 3 I don't know, anyway James married a Carey woman and had many children 3 born in Tn, several born in Indiana and the rest in Wi. Does anyone know how I can verify if these 2 groups are the same in both states? Best To All, Tom

itconani
01-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Anyone interested in Monacan Surnames, like Branham, would do well to visit their old tribal school / museum. there are several books of family photos and names of families that are related. If im not mistaken, George Branham (whitewolf) was from out of the area to the Northwest and returned to his people. at least i know he spent alot of years out west in the 70s - maybe he is of that line Tasheaka is speaking of. Also is Kenny Branham's (current chief) side from Amhearst proper. food for thought for a road trip - or wait until their pow wow in may to visit.

Linda
01-23-2002, 05:28 PM
That's something I'm curious about myself. What constitutes "proof." What else do you need besides the names and ages matching up?

Coharie Roy
01-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Tom,

Abraham Hardin was my gggggg grandfather. He was born circa 1745, and was married to Lucy _________? Indeed, he lived a good portion of his life in Sampson County, NC. (NOTE: Sampson County was formed in 1784 from Duplin County.) My Hardin ancestors are amongst my oldest documented ancestors. While I'm not 100% certain of his parentage, I nevertheless believe Abraham's father to have been Solomon Hardin. I have at least three Hardin ggggg grand fathers: Jonathan, Dave, and Sion. While I cannot prove it, I believe Jonathan, Dave, and Sion were the sons of Abraham and Lucy Hardin.

Regrettably, I do not know the James Hardin of which you speak.

While I haven't a shread of proof (yet!), I nevertheless believe the Hardins married heavilly into the Indian community of Sampson County. Sampson County was still Indian land until the earliest white settlers appeared, about 1740. (NOTE: The Tuscarora War ended in 1713.) Thereafter, within 25 to 50 years, the Sampson County Hardins (along with the Manuels, Brewingtons, Maynors, Revells, and Jacobs) had married extensively into the local Indian population, as well as with each other.

Again, and while I have no proof (other than the Revells descent from "James Revell, the Indian" of the Gingaskin Indians of Accomack County, VA circa 1675), I believe the Indian people in Sampson County circa 1740 - 1750 were: (1) Mixed tri-racial people, represententing the remnants of Powhatan's confederacy (i.e. - Pamunkey, Nansemond, Weyanoke, Chicahominy, Mattaponi, etc.), along with newly freed Angolan Africans, and frontier whites, (2) The northern branch of the Tuscarora, (3) The Nottoway, (4) The Meherrin, (5) The Sapony, (6) And remnant, amalgated Woccon, Matamuskeet, Machaponga, Core, Waccamaw, and Cape Fear Indians.

Tom
01-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Hello All, Well Coharie Roy, you are right about the Hardin family intermarrying with the local Indian people,I have never seen a more mixed group of "white" people ever than when I did some research with the Hardin family assc.! In the 1830-40 Tn. census these 3 men were found not far from each other, atleast I assume they were but it gave no record of land or location where they resided. Also James married Priscilla Carey and that name rarely shows up in that area of Tn, but James' first boy Melford may have been named for his relative Melford Carey that was working on a road crew with the Hardin boys at the same time. One very interesting name there is shortened from Little Berry Man, to Berman Hardin and this says so much about who he ,I'd say. Anyway Melfords daughter is my g grandmother. The Carey family shows up in the early Moroavian books as guides into the north GA. area and were giudes atleast as far as Spring Place Ga. I have a book read on tape re. this.Thanks for the posting Roy and the space to do it Linda. Best to All, Tom

barryc
02-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi Tasheaka

Yes, there are lots of Banks in Brunswick county. They are married into the Greentown community (a Ft Christanna tri-racial isolate) and Ante (Freetown). There is a church Rising Star in Ante which has banks buried there. My cousin Mckinley Banks has ancestors buried there. The banks are known Indian people. I will email this link to him.

There is a free persons of color book in the court house that I beleive shows some Banks.

Barry

tasheaka
02-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Barry,
I know that Godfrey Brown married Chaney Banks in the mid 1700's. Godfrey was born in Brunswick Co. Virgina. They had a 14 or so children, Samuel Sr was one of them, and sr married Ann Branham. They had Samuel Jr who was born here in Ohio (I think) and the Jr. married Jenny Anna Stewart who was my great grandmother. My uncle Roger Brown is 80+ and has an excellent memory. He gave me a picture of "Gran Brown" Anna Stewart. He told me he knew that she was Indian. There was no denying that from the picture I have.
My moms geneology was never a issue because we were all born in Southern Ohio in a Saponi community. However, the Browns, Stewarts, Branhams, and Banks are all my fathers people. It's no wonder I feel at home with the Virgina and NC folks!! Thanks for any info you might have on any of these familys. If you go to my profile you will find my email address, and I also have a 800 number that can be shared.

Migwech

tasheaka

Linda
02-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Geez, you sure do have a lot of familiar sounding names. I've got family who passed through Ohio myself and haven't been able to talk to as many people who know about communities there as I'd like. I'll be in touch.

whitehawk
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Sekon,

I'm unfamiliar with the Coharie surname, ARRINGTON. Do you mean BREWINGTON? Brewington is far and away the most common surname among the Coharie.

Other very common Coharie surnames are: Simmons, Emanuel/Manuel, Maynor, Jacobs, Strickland, Bell, Hardin, Whitehead, Bedsole, Ammons, and Carters.

Additional surnames found among the Coharie are Goodman, Burnette, Wilkins, Faircloth, Chance, Warrick, Jones, Groves, Robinson, and Smith.

Surnames closely associated with the Coharie are Seaberry, Thomas, and Ransom.

Coharie surnames shared with the Lumbee are Chavis, Lowry, and Locklear.

The above are the old names; names which appear on Mr. Enoch Emanuel's 1916 family history/census. I'm sure that other more recent surnames have entered the Coharie as a result of post 1916 marriages.

Hi Coharie Roy, I am a descendant of the Ammons family that was in the Wayne and Sampson County Area of N.C. in the mid 1700's. My 5th Grt Grandfather was Thomas Ammons and from research I have found that he was supposedly born near Torhunta(an Indian farming Community) around 1749. His wife's name was Bertha(Last Name Unknown). His Brother was Joshua Ammons who was married to Mary Francis Parker and they had a son named Jessie Ammons. There Father is believed to be John Jacob Ammons. My 4th Grt Grandfather was William Ammons and he is the one that migrated to South Georgia where I was reared. My family strongly believes that we have connections to the Coharie Tribe through the Ammons line. I would like to ask if you might have any information that would help me to tie this connection together.

whitehawk
06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Roy. Yes, I know those names and they are very common Coharie names. One of my best friends is a Coharie Ammons. But I do know of several people who are Coharie,(all related), with the last name of Arrington. It's possible that the name came from intermarriage.

~Sekon~

[This message has been edited by Sekon (edited 12-02-2001).]

Hi Sekon, I am a descendant of the Ammons family that was in the Wayne and Sampson County Area of N.C. in the mid 1700's. My 5th Grt Grandfather was Thomas Ammons and from research I have found that he was supposedly born near Torhunta(an Indian farming Community) around 1749. His wife's name was Bertha(Last Name Unknown). His Brother was Joshua Ammons who was married to Mary Francis Parker and they had a son named Jessie Ammons. Their Father is believed to be John Jacob Ammons. My 4th Grt Grandfather was William Ammons and he is the one that migrated to South Georgia where I was reared. My family strongly believes that we have connections to the Coharie Tribe through the Ammons line. I would like to ask if you might or your Ammons Friend might have any information that would help me to tie this connection together. Thanks.

Coharie Roy
06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi Whitehawk.

Here's a link to an [ apparently ] unfinished book written by Al Pate. It consists of 10 non-sequential chapters. Mr. Pate also has AMMONS ancestors. From what I've been able to verify over the years, Pate's research is very accurate.

http://www.dickshovel.com/coreewho.html

My maternal grandpa was an Ammons by adoption. His adopted father was Calvin Ammons, whereas his natural father was a Brewington. I didnít really research Calvinís line since I elected to stay with bloodlines, however, in my notes (and I think I got this information from my mom, but Iím not sure) I have Calvin Ammons as a white man, born about 1867 and from the Faison and Goldsboro area of North Carolina. (I have a picture of Calvin and he looks mostly white to me.) However, when I looked Calvin up on the 1880 census, I found him listed as 9 years old (which would put his birth at 1871) and the son of John Ammons and Betsyan Ammons. The 1880 census shows his brother as Killy, age 7, and his two sisters Ella, age 4 and Hattie, age 2 months. All are listed as mulatto, and the census area is listed as Piney Grove, Sampson County, NC.

According to notes I got a long, long time ago (+/- 35 years ago) from my aunt, Calvinís motherís maiden name was Betty Ann Wilson. My aunt also said that the Ammons were from around the Goldsboro area of Wayne County, North Carolina and that there was a so called ďAmmons fieldĒ somewhere near Goldsboro, and that the Ammons were originally horse trainers (traders?).

That's about all I know about my Ammons ancestors.

whitehawk
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks Coharie Roy. After I sent you an e-mail in reply to your post, I notice the contact information for Mr. Pate on the Book website. I e-mailed Mr. Pate in reference to my Ammons family line. Thank you very much for your help.

whitehawk
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Coharie Roy, My e-mail did not go through to Mr. Pate. If you have any other contact information on him, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Coharie Roy
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Whitehawk,

Sorry. That's all the information I have on Al Pate. As I recall, I too tried to find an e-mail address for him years ago, but to no avail.

Roy

tianicwanga
06-28-2007, 02:36 AM
hello everyone
my great grandfather was a Wright from South Carolina and was said to have part NA.
tia

whitehawk
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Coharie Roy,

Over the weekend I found this contact on an Ammons Geneaolgy Forum in reference to the Coharie. His name is Chip Pate and I am assuming he is kin to Al Pate. On the forum he was searching for information on the Ammons family associated with the Coharie. I e-mailed him, but have not received a response back yet. His e-mail address is chip@pateandassociates.com. I thought that you might be interested in this information. Thanks.

danricecote
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Coharie Roy,

Over the weekend I found this contact on an Ammons Geneaolgy Forum in reference to the Coharie. His name is Chip Pate and I am assuming he is kin to Al Pate. On the forum he was searching for information on the Ammons family associated with the Coharie. I e-mailed him, but have not received a response back yet. His e-mail address is chip@pateandassociates.com. I thought that you might be interested in this information. Thanks.

Now, just for the record, my wife is a Pate and has her genealogy back to Adam almost - however, she did not remember having an "Al" and also no "Ammons" families. They didn't come thru Cumberland way that we know of though ... they came from England (Holland?) on the Mormon trail (yes, that's right, they walked on water then) and ended up being visible from IL to the west.

whitehawk
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Now, just for the record, my wife is a Pate and has her genealogy back to Adam almost - however, she did not remember having an "Al" and also no "Ammons" families. They didn't come thru Cumberland way that we know of though ... they came from England (Holland?) on the Mormon trail (yes, that's right, they walked on water then) and ended up being visible from IL to the west.

Danricecote, Al Pate is an arthur of a book that is being written about the Coharie/Coree Nation/Tribe. This text can be found at http://www.dickshovel.com/procoreepro.html. Since your wife is a Pate, then she may be interested in reading this book.