PDA

View Full Version : Collins

stacey
02-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Looking for any info on an Amos Collins b. 1790, he is the father of a John G. Collins b. 1812 in Tennessee. Any info about these individuals would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stacey

ClelandThorpe
02-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Stacey,
Where in Tennessee were your Collins and do you have any other names? My ancestors were James and Lexy Collins and Martin and Elizabeth Collins. The were in the 1830 census of Hawkins Co. Tennessee and were listed as "FPC" Ihave reason to believe they may have been Pawmunkey Indian. There is a picture of a Simeon Collins in the Smithsonian Institute and he is identified as a Pawmunkey Indian. Interestingly, in Hawkins and Hancock Co's Tennessee, the same name shows up regularly. Seems like this might have been a favorite family name passed down from generation to generation.
I would be interested in hearing from you.

stacey
02-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Thank you for a response. I know that John Gilbert Collins was born in Campbell County, Tennessee in 1812. The only info I have on Amos is that he married a woman by the name of either Manervia or Mayvilla (handwritten so it is hard to tell) he last name is unknown. They were married on July 19, 1839 in Perry County, Kentucky, Amos died on November 8, 1891 in Leslie County, Kentucky. The only other name I have is for a Calvin Collins which is John Gilbert Collins' brother. Besides that I know that John and his wife Susannah had a son named Thomas and he married a Chickahomny Indian woman with the name of Rue Hamie Metcalf (Redford) (?) and they gave birth to my grandmother Maggie Collins. Thank you.
Stacey

Brenda Collins Dillon
02-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Stacy,Have you checked out my website. It has a lot of Collins information. It is listed on my profile. Check out "One more Mountain to Cross" That is the Collins Story written by Frankie Blackburn and a couple of us other Collins Researchers which was published in the Wise Co. Va. Appalachian Quarterly.
Frankie Blackburn is from the Griffin Collins line.
John Trulinger is from the David Collins 1750 line
I am from the Meredith Collins line.
Also under "Melungeon" is the Virginia DeMarce Research which has a lot of Collins listed in it.
Good luck and hope this helps.

------------------
Life is a Rainbow made up of Many Different Colors.....

stacey
02-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Thank you Brenda, I will check out your website and read "One more mountain to cross." Thanks for sharing.

Coharie Roy
02-21-2002, 03:52 PM
I tried posting this earlier but something went wrong.

On a totally unrelated matter, I happened to be looking in a book that I have; Helen Rountree's, INDIANS OF THE EASTERN SHORE OF VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND and in it, I saw an 1813 map of the Gingaskin Indian Reservation located in Northampton County, Virginia. The map has enough clarity to show individual plats and the owners of those plats (more explanation on that in a second). Anyway two of those plats contain the name Betsy Collins. But there's quite a few other surmanes besides Collins. The other surnames are: Jeffries, Carter, Bingham, Bivans, Baker, West, Drighous, Francis, Jacobs, and a name I can't make out because of that peculiar way of writing and spelling they had back then whenever the letter "s" occurred next to another letter "s." Whenever that happened they wrote the letter "f" in place of the first "s." Thus, it looks like the name is Frys, but it might be Frss.

The reservation was established in 1640. From 1640 until 1813, the Gingaskin Indians held the reservation land in common. In 1813, Virginia "terminated" the reservation by dividing up the land and assigning individual plats to individual families. Thus the need for a survey and thus the map.

The REAL "termination" came on November 11, 1831, three months after Nat Turner's insurrection. After the insurrection, the white residents of Northampton County decided they didn't want either Indians, Free Persons of Color, or free blacks living in their county anymore. They held a mass meeting at the county courthouse and they essentially (using the state's power of imminent domain) told the Gingaskin Indians, "Either sell us your land, or be forcibly removed." Three days later, during a six day span, from 11-14-1831 to 11-19-1831, virtually every Gingaskin Indian sold his land to a white buyer. Only three Gingaskins resisted: (1) Sophia Jeffrey (who was married to a free black man, Thomas Carter in 1803), (2) Peggy Bingham, (who was married to William Francis in 1829) and (3) Ebby (Elizabeth) Baker (who was married to a white man, Hezekiah Sheperd).

Linda
02-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Who are the Ginkasin? What language group do they belong to and who were they allied with?

This caught our eye. My husband, Barry Carter, has an oral history in his family that they were somehow caught up in the Nat Turner thing. His Carters were in Mecklenburg. They married in with Boyds and Coles. The Coles were very Indian appearing. His sister favors them.

Linda
02-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Searching on Google for Ginkaskin I found this article by Forrest Hazel.
http://www.hchsonline.org/places/dimery.html

Looks interesting.

Coharie Roy
02-22-2002, 07:58 AM
The Gingaskin were an Algonquian speaking tribe. They lived near the lower tip of the eastern shore of Virginia; just across from Norfolk, Virginia, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

They were a member tribe of Powhaten's confederacy, however, being on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, they were on the periphery of Powhathen's control and influence. Thus, they remained neutral in 1622 and again in 1644, when Opechancanough led the confederacy to war against the English in Virginia.

Linda
02-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Was the Powhatan culture as hierarchical as the explorer accounts seem to suggest? They talk about an absolute King and I'm kind of skeptical. There's also Strachey's report that they sacrificed children. God I hate those old explorer accounts. They got the last or the only word and there's no telling what kind of nonsense they're talking.

itconani
02-24-2002, 11:31 AM
gingaskins are algonquian, but were known as a variety of things at contact.
Gingaskins appear to be Accomac, Pocomoke, Nassawadox, Occahanock etc. a real blend of folks crossing three centuries. they were fringe groups of Powhatan, sometimes foolowing directions, sometimes not. There was not a hierarchial type situation, more like a influence area. powhatan controlled more of what was closest - Eastern shore being farther away, however these groups relied on each other for trade and good terms was important for the power net work. it really rather complicated. powhatan has been said to have one of the most intense, complex political enterprises north of Central America.
as for Saponi interest, Gingaskins fled before 1831 to mainland, as well as after.
one of the 7 tribes to be incorporated into the haliwa saponi are the gingaskin (among saponi, tutelo, tuscarora, nansemond, etc)

Linda
02-24-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the information. Sorry we missed you yesterday. Weren't you saying you had access to some musical scores of old Tutelo song? I want to get ahold of that right away. Do you know where I should look, or could you get me a copy?

leesa7
02-24-2002, 05:57 PM
Hi,
Lots of Collins in the Philadelphia area as well as Florence South Carolina. I have a friend whose cousin is doing a lot of the family research. They are of Blackfoot descent. They intermarried with the Coopers of Philiadelphia and also live in CT.
If this is the line you are looking for, you can email me at llcooper65@hotmail.com. I will get you in touch with my friend who can in turn give you the name of the person who is doing the research on her family. Hope to be of help. Leesa

------------------

collins
02-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Linda if you can get some sheet music of Tutelo or Saponi songs please let me know.
Also I was having difficulty getting on the site, hope all is well. Peace and Love
Cotton Top

ponca
12-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Stacey:
I have Amos Collins b. oct.30, 1789, Green Co. Tenn. m Mariel b 1896, Green Co. Tenn.
In the 1860 Clay Co. Ky. census, it shows Amos wife being Mayvilla. Amos children are...... Calvin b 1810, m Elizabeth Wilder...John Gilbert b 1813 Tenn. d 1891...James b 1814 m Martha Ann Cotton ...Freeline Huyson b 1817 d 1888 Grainger Co.Tenn....Benjamin b 1824 Clay Co. Ky....Nancy 1824...Elizabeth b 1827...Robert b 1828 m Margaret Stephens... Margaret b 1835.

I know of two cousins, one line goes through John Gilbert, the other goes through Freeline Huyson....... My line goes through Benjamin.

I have Amos father being Rufus b oct. 14, 1762, Green Co. Tenn. m Susanna Jay b june 18, 1765, Green Co. Tenn.
Rufus father being Thomas b may 16, 1723, Green Co. Tenn. m Rachel Ellsworth.

I feel good going back to Amos, but not sure about Rufus and Thomas. Looking for answer.
Everett

catfish
01-06-2003, 09:34 PM
This is my collins info that leads me here in search of my rumored cherokee relations

Elizabeth J. Bozarth rumored to be 1/4 Cherokee Indian by as was told to Grace Lieseke when she was a child
This is supposed to be through her mother's line, her mother is:

Margaret T. WARD
Birth: 14 Apr 1806 Wayne, Kentucky

Her parents are:
Father: Elijah McGowan WARD (age 26-45 in 1820)
Mother: Mary "Polly" COLLINS (age 26-45 in 1820)

Mother: Mary "Polly" COLLINS (age 26-45 in 1820)
She was listed as age 26-45 on the 1820 census I'll have to look again to see where.

catfish
01-06-2003, 10:08 PM
ID: I0637
Name: Mary "Polly" Collins
Sex: F
Birth: BET. 1775 - 1804

Marriage 1 Elijah McGowan Ward b: BET. 1775 - 1804

Married: 17 SEP 1800 in Grayson Co., VA

Children
Margaret T. Ward b: 14 APR 1806 in Wayne Co., KY
Mary "Polly" Ward b: 5 AUG 1810 in White Co., TN

Margaret T Ward is rumored to be half Cherokee (many non cherokee ndns are called cherokee)

Her mother was Mary "polly" collins

Does anyone have info on this woman?

Name: Mary "Polly" Collins
Birth: BET. 1775 - 1804

Maybe I am closing in on my "cherokee" relations!

http://www.schizoaffective.org/cherokee

Forest
01-06-2003, 10:10 PM
I believe the name is "Press", on the Northampton Co., Va. map of the Reservation.

There are still numerous Ginkaskin descendants in the Eastville area, including Collinses, Presses, and Bivenses. They became part of the Free Black community after the Rez broke up.

I have been told that some of the families attempted, at least to some degree, to maintain the bloodline, but the few I have met identified as Black with Ginkaskin ancestry.

They may well be the origin of the Francis family among the Haliwa-Saponi.

catfish
01-06-2003, 10:11 PM
ID: I0639
Name: Mary "Polly" Ward
Birth: 5 AUG 1810 in White Co., TN

This is my aunt who if the rumors are true had ndn blood

catfish
01-06-2003, 11:17 PM
1 Jonathan Ward Father of
2 Elijah McGowan Ward b: BET. 1775 - 1804
+ Marta Van Dyke (first wife?)
3 Jonathan Gowan Ward b: 1792
+ Mary "Polly" Collins b: BET. 1775 - 1804
(second wife?)

Red Buffalo
01-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Catfish
I have a Mary Polly Collins born in the 1800s in my family line. she was the daughter of Aaron and Elizabeth C0llins. hope this is a help to you.

catfish
01-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi Red,

Was she born before 1804? Where was she born?

Red Buffalo
01-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Catfish
I am not certain on Marys birthdate, I know her younger brother was born in 1852 so I would estimate her date of birth to be in the 1840s Probably born in Mo. since the Collins arrived in Missouri in the 1830s. wish I could help more.

catfish
01-08-2003, 04:26 PM
She would not be my Mary Collins then.. Mine was born before 1804. Thanks anyway