PDA

View Full Version : American Indian Law and Property

1_optimistic
03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
"First Americans"

I was honored, March 5, 2007, to meet Dana Martin Johnson, Esq. (Eastern Siouan-Saponi). She spoke during a Underwriting Conference in Williamsburg, VA. She discussed how Title Insurance Underwriters' jobs are and will be affected by Virginia's State Recognized Tribes. In addition, 6 of Virginia's recognized tribes are waiting for a bill to be passed regarding Federal Recognition. Also, she covered the following topics:

-Doctrine of Discovery
-Marshall Trilogy
(Johnson v. McIntosh)
(Cherokee v. Georgia)
(Worchester v. Georgia)

-Federal vs. State Recognized Tribes and Reservations
-Pros and cons of living on reservations
-Pros and cons of tribal life
-First Treaty of 1607 (Powhatans)
-Oldest Treaty that is still in effect is the Treaty of 1677 (recognized reservations pay tribute to the Governor of VA by killing game (dear, turkey, etc.) in exchange for paying taxes.
-Fishing, Hunting and Property Rights
-Religious and Property Rights
(According to the U. S. Government, religion has to be a recognized practice. According to Indians, cultural is the connection to the land and ancestors)

-Most VA Tribes converted to Christianity (Baptist) but many also honor their ancestors at Pow Wows (in the circle).

-American Indian Religious Freedom Act

Great speaker and representative of the Saponi Nation (Eastern Siouan).:)

mrspatino
03-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Great Refrence 1 opt!
I have been doing lots of reading over at NARF.org
Great cases referenced!

1_optimistic
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Sorry, Dana Martin Johnson, Esq. is Sappony not Saponi. Sorry for the misinformation.

cwboxley
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
looking for

cwboxley
03-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Looking for help tracing my blackfoot roots in Brumswick Va. Do you have any information that could help me. I can only go so far and then nothing. I ve often heard that my maternal family was blackfoot indian.

Cassandra

techteach
03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Welcome CW,

Post your names and dates in the genealogy.com section and see if Bill can help you.

Techteach