PDA

View Full Version : free issues

ConnieVentersLewis
06-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Hi Linda, can someone define this terminology for me?. I have an idea I think. My grandfather Joseph Venters,who spoke of native blood was born in Ayden, Pitt County North Carolina,in 1888.This term came up when I asked him were my ggrandparents slaves.When I saw a photo of my ggf he appeared white, ggm was very dark & appeared native. Copies of census from 1870-1920 had all family members as black. I will post more information. It also appears that the Venters surname is common in Pitt, Beaufort, Craven etc. My maternal line is from Chapel Hill& Hillsboro, Orange Co., N.C. My research is ongoing, this is my quest. Mysteries,mysteries, mysteries.

------------------
Connie

CoheeLady
07-07-2002, 07:54 PM
In regards to the term Free Issue
Dear Connie,
The term free Issue in the past was used to describe the birth of children.In research you will find just the term issue, meaning children born to a marriage. The term free issue was used for American Indians & African Americans, in some southern states, as in my state of Virginia. This term is just another rude label that was used. Please don't assume that your ancestor's are African American, just because they are listed as Black. Many American Indian ancestors are listed this way, do to the ignorance & racist ways of those in charge.In Virginia during the Eugenics Movement Dr. Walter Ashby Plecker, head of Vital Statistics, tried to make our Indian population disappear, by saying they were black. He was not sucessful, due to the families like mine that were of both European & Indian ancestry. Hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
CoheeLady

Linda
07-07-2002, 11:26 PM
It's my understanding that free issue refers to free persons of color in antebellum times.

CoheeLady
07-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Dear Linda,
Tomorrow I will post a more detailed message regarding the term Free Issue. This term was not just used prior to the Civil War, as you stated. As it was used before, during & after the war. Antebellum only covers a short time period before the war. One definition of free issue is ," A Black or Mixed child". Other information suggests that this is a term for a child that has ancestry that is Indian & European, sometimes European, Indian & African American. So, this term is not a simple one, as you can plainly see. Also there were people called "Old Issue's & New Issue's". The Old issue's didn't associate with the New issue's. Thanks Linda for your reply! Will send more info. tomorrow, as I'm getting it from our state library.
Sincerely,
CoheeLady

ConnieVentersLewis
07-10-2002, 09:22 PM
HI, I WANT TO THANK COHEELADY & LINDA FOR THE VERY INFORMATIVE INFORMATION IN REFERENCE TO THE LABEL FREE ISSUE.I KNEW DEEP DOWN THAT THIS TERMINOLOGY HAD A MUCH DEEPER MEANING THAN CHILDREN BORN FROM A MARRIAGE.MY EYES WERE TRULY OPENED WHEN I READ PLECKERS LETTER,THAT MAN HAD TO HAVE BEEN THE GRAND WIZARD OF THE KLU KLUX KLAN. WHAT IS SO UPSETTING IS THAT THE SAME MIND SET STILL CONTINUES TODAY.

------------------
Connie

CoheeLady
07-11-2002, 02:35 AM
Hello Connie,
You are welcome, I'm glad I could be of some help to you, regarding the term free issue. The letter of Dr. Walter Ashby Plecker, that you read, is that the Bulletin that lists by county & surnames of those trying to pass as Indian &/or white? I agree it is an eye opener, as are all of his letters. My family surname of Cash is listed twice. He hated the families like mine that were in the census as white, due to their European & Indian ancestry. You are right the mind set of many people is still the same as it was back then. If you want more information on the Eugenics Movement that happened in America go to, http://www.cshl.org/eugenics
or just type in Cold Spring Harbor Lab.
CoheeLady