PDA

View Full Version : surname Foote

jessie
10-13-2002, 06:30 PM
I'm trying to find information on my gg grandmother Patty or Polly Foote married to Orson Graham in 1815 in Pine twp Lycoming county Pa. My grandfather said she was full blooded blackfoot Indian. I would like proof that she was Indian. Does anyone know of any Indian family with the surname Foote. Thank you Jessie

Linda
10-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Don't know the name, but my own family was in Pennsylvania (Franklin County), and there are indications they were Blackfoot. I have heard from other Pennsylvania families with this ID. Lycoming county sounds familiar -- perhaps that's one of the counties the eastern siouan (Saponi/Tutelo) people are documented to have been. What county is Sunbury in?

Brenda Collins Dillon
10-14-2002, 07:36 AM
My mother's natural father had a brother who was born in Lycoming, Pa. I know that Martin and Fred were sons of Edward Bennett & Greathy Melvina Cottrill. The Cottrill line goes back to
. ANDREW2 COTTRILL (UNKNOWN1) died Bef. 1781 in Harrison Co. WV. He married NANCY MOORE.

Children of ANDREW COTTRILL and NANCY MOORE are:
2. i. RICHARD3 COTTRILL, b. 1763, Maryland; d. 1853, Harrison Co. WV.
ii. ANDREW COTTRILL, d. 1813, Harrison Co. WV.
iii. ELIZABETH COTTRILL, m. JOHN NUTTER, 1786, Harrison Co. WV.
iv. JOHN COTTRILL, b. 1753.
v. THOMAS COTTRILL, b. 1771.
vi. BARBARA COTTRILL, b. 1773.
vii. WILLIAM COTTRILL, b. 1775.

However as far as the Bennett line I only know that Fred and Martin were the sons of Edward Bennett born about 1864 whereabouts unknown.

------------------
Life is a Rainbow made up of Many Different Colors.....

Brenda Collins Dillon
10-14-2002, 06:57 PM
I was just going though a file I have on the various surnames I research and discovered another link I have in Lycoming ,Pa. Thomas PERRY married Elizabeth FISHER and they moved from Northumberland Co. Pa to Washington Co. Ohio but they must have moved back to Pa. as their second child born 1791 through the tenth child born 1811 were born in Lycoming, Pa.

Linda, remember I sent you a pic of Mollie Perry, my grandmother. This is her roots.

------------------
Life is a Rainbow made up of Many Different Colors.....

jessie
10-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Linda
Sunbury is in Northumberland County. I don't know where my gggrandmother came from but my gggrandfather came to Lycoming County from Lunzerne County that borders on Northumberland county. I'm an old lady and have lived all my life in northen Lycoming county and southern Bradford county. The names Cotrill and Bennet don't ring any bells. Still hoping someone will come up with an NDN family with the Surname Foote. Thanks for the replies. Jessie

Linda
10-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Please let us know if you do find anyone else. I know how you may feel, wanting to verify this mysterious identification, but look at it this way. Your family has lived for a long time quite near one of the last places the eastern Siouan are documented to have lived. The ID of Blackfoot creeps up wherever you find Eastern Siouan descendants. Yours may be the only Blackfoot family by that name, but the location itself says a lot to me.

If you haven't looked into the Indian history of that area it's really fascinating. There were many refugees tribes from the eastern and southern states crammed in there, with the French and Indian war waging around and amongst them. Harrowing times.