PDA

View Full Version : Longest Walk at Occoneechee, see site, map say hi

fromOntario
05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello All:

YOu may be interested, to all who are going to Occoneechee, that the Longest Walk folks will be there.

Drop by and say hi, this is a big event, and this is the first of them coming into VA into Washington.

Here is their site.

Click on the Southern route:

http://www.thelongestwalk.org/

If you look on the side, you will some will be at the park.

:)

beeleaf
05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Cool! Thanks, Deb.

It's also on the big calendar under "Events" on that main page.

yellow woman
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The northern route came very close to where I live. Did not hear a thing about it on the news or by anyone we know? .... Strange .... But I do wish them folks good luck in their endeavor.

beeleaf
05-14-2008, 12:44 PM
It was the support staff who were there. Very nice folks. Think they said the walkers would be coming through in June or July.

Felicia
06-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I heard that they were coming through at the end of this month, but to check their schedule frequently for dates.

Mousini78
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.longestwalk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=40&Itemid=130
Here is the new link to the new page. You can click on the state for the southern route. Or click on Northern route on the Home page.

Akinitisisahn
06-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Hello, I am so very happy to hear each of you express support. I myself will be joining the walk next week from Henderson to Richmond, my father Walter Day and I. Please keep us in prayer and support us and this entire prayer walk as we join in a willful sacrifice to grow closer to Creator, and to petition the needs of Mother Earth and all the people. They ask that you bring a banner or flag to represent the nation or site that you are walking for, and I will be carrying a flag for Eastern Siouan Tribes since I am mixed with quite a few eastern tribes, using our family's society symbol. As I said, please keep me, my father, and all the walkers in prayer... we do this for each of you, and all the people, and for Mother Earth.

beeleaf
06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey there. Good to see you. Am mighty proud of all of you walkers and what you are doing. Will keep you and your Dad in my prayers. From what I understand of the experiences being shared, the walking is a prayer. Best of everything!
bee

fromOntario
06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
That's great you are able to walk, wow. THoughts with you all.
:)

Hello, I am so very happy to hear each of you express support. I myself will be joining the walk next week from Henderson to Richmond, my father Walter Day and I. Please keep us in prayer and support us and this entire prayer walk as we join in a willful sacrifice to grow closer to Creator, and to petition the needs of Mother Earth and all the people. They ask that you bring a banner or flag to represent the nation or site that you are walking for, and I will be carrying a flag for Eastern Siouan Tribes since I am mixed with quite a few eastern tribes, using our family's society symbol. As I said, please keep me, my father, and all the walkers in prayer... we do this for each of you, and all the people, and for Mother Earth.

Mousini78
06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Walter and his daughter will need a ride back from Richmond, if any of you know any one coming this way. You can email me and I will forward it on to him.
Aho
Becky

Felicia
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
My 16 year old son, Cory, is participating in the Longest Walk 2. He started out at Occoneechee State Park located in Clarksville and is walking to Washington, D.C. with the other participants. They are Native Americans, Buddhist Monks, Buddhist Nuns, and others who are representing Mother Earth and our sacred sites around the country. My son has very strong feelings about what this walk is representing to him and for everyone. He is determined to walk the entire state of Virginia with them.
My husband, Mark, will be joining the walkers on July the 5th, to continue helping them and us in this important and historic walk. We are very proud of our son and what he is accomplishing for his Eastern Blackfoot and Saponi ancestors and for us all. Linda Carter, Mark and I donated cases of water, fruit, tarps and Gatorade to the walkers. They could use all the help that anyone can give them.
On June the 26th and 27th, Linda and I were blessed to have some of the Japanese Buddhist Female Nuns stay at our homes. They are wonderful, peaceful women that pray and walk a lot for all of us. It was a very humbling experience to be in their presence.
I have the link below for anyone wanting to read a article that was by the Associated Press from July 1st, from MSNBC titled, "American Indians Walk Across U.S. For Cause", it was when the walkers were coming through Richmond on Jefferson Davis Highway. My son is walking with the group in the back and he is wearing his red Native Pride cap.
Please continue to bless them and my son as they continue on their journey to Washington, D.C.

Blessings,

Felicia Clary-Cegelski

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25484434/

Akinitisisahn
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Felicia, so glad to hear about your son. I was suppose to go to Clarksville and join them there but was faced with circumstances that would not allow me to. But I have been blessed with one more chance to join them on Thursday and go to DC with them. My father joined them in Clarksville and is still there and will be delivering a speach in DC. I knew that I absolutely HAD to join them and by grace I will. Please continue to pray for us all as we walk to DC carrying your prayers, our prayers and the prayers of our Mother Earth and our people. Pray for the softening of hearts in DC, pray for our health and experience. I go as a proud Siouan Saponi woman, and I go for all of you and our generations to come, maqgitowe niska.

beeleaf
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
All the best to Walter, Akinitisisahn, and Cory!

roca
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this.I wonder if this group was in Charlottesville,VA
Monday of this week:confused:

Roca

Barbara Adair Bauer
07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Amy Goodman on "Democracy Now!" did a piece on The Longest Walk and their arrival in Washington today
- you can hear it here:

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/7/10/stream

It starts about 41 minutes into the show - there's an interview with Dennis Banks, and video of the walk. He said volunteers along the walk were so welcoming he wanted to call it "The Longest Buffet."

1_optimistic
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Family,

My momma and I were both at the Pow Wow/Concert in DC. Very small turnout but we appreciated being there to experience an historic moment. I wish there were more Virginia/NC Native Americans present to support the participants. I don't know, maybe there was a bigger turn out July 11th & 12th. I will post photos of the event at a later time.

1_optimistic
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Some Photos

1_optimistic
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Some Photos

Akinitisisahn
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
There was a great turnout on Friday, and a decent turnout on Saturday for the powwow. It seems that most of us walkers started leaving on Saturday though. But Friday there was a great turnout. Where did you post pics?

1_optimistic
07-15-2008, 07:45 AM
There was a great turnout on Friday, and a decent turnout on Saturday for the powwow. It seems that most of us walkers started leaving on Saturday though. But Friday there was a great turnout. Where did you post pics?

I did assume that there was a better turn out Friday and/or Saturday. I tried to post pics but I guess I've posted too many pictures on this site. Eventually, I will set up a link that will direct you all to view them.

1_optimistic
07-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Here's the link:

http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=398151216171613323/l=409742422/g=52441508/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Mousini78
07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Is there a way to view them without having to register on the site?

1_optimistic
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Is there a way to view them without having to register on the site?

I will try another site that does not require viewers to sign up.

1_optimistic
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Here's another link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28733706@N08/show/

Enjoy:)

Greydove
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Nice pictures 1 optimistic~ Thank you for sharing~ Take care~Greydove

Akinitisisahn
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Thank you for sharing. I have a few pics from Friday And Saturday I will post when I get them.

1_optimistic
07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Anytime! :D :D :D

Mousini78
07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I see a few faces I recognize....thanks for posting the pics.

beeleaf
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Number 1.