PDA

View Full Version : PowWow October 6,2001

Brenda Collins Dillon
10-02-2001, 04:06 PM
I just recieved the following email:

On Saturday October 6, 2001, please join the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation in the celebration of their seventh annual homecoming and Fall Festival. It all starts at 10AM and lasts until dusk. The Grand Entry will begin at noon.

Master of Ceremonies
John Blackfeather - Occaneechi Saponi

Head Male Dancer
Doug Logan - Cherokee Saponi

Head Female Dancer
Beverly Payne-Betts - Occaneechi Saponi

Host Drum
Eastern Bull Singers, Greenville, North Carolina

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADMISSION

$3.00 for Adults
$1.00 for Children under 12 & Seniors 55 and up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS

Pleasant Grove Elementary School is located off of Hwy 119: 10 Miles North of Mebane

From I-85/40: Take Ext. 154 turn West follow Pow Wow Signs & Survey Makers
From Lynchburg VA: Take US-29 S towards Danville, stay straight onto VA-86 S, to NC-119 S travel about 12 miles look for Pow Wow signs)
For Further Information call: 919-304-3723, 919-732-8512 or email:

{I would love to join in but since that is impossible due to living so far away I hope somebody can go and take some pictures and upload for us to enjoy. HINT HINT HINT}

Brenda

Linda
10-02-2001, 09:57 PM
We'll be there with the Drum, Brenda, and will keep you posted.

Linda
10-07-2001, 12:38 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed myself at this pow wow. It's called a homecoming and it is always smallish, but there's a very close-knit feel to it. Personally I'm usually bored to tears by big pow wows if I don't know many people.

The nice thing about Pleasant Grove is that a lot of the people I like talking to about my various Saponi research/projects are there and I get to chat chat chat all day about things that really interest me, with people who share those interests.

Last month, I was "commissioned" to make Little Bear (four y.o.) his first roach. For the beading on the spreader, I borrowed a design I saw on a pipe found at an archeological dig of an Occaneechi town (Gaston site). To me, it looked like pine trees with a river. I beaded that design on Bear's spreader. I gave it to him today and told him the middle part of the spreader was Occaneechi Island with the river flowing all around it, and told him not to forget that. He promised he wouldn't.

He and his family got a charge out of the new roach and that charged me. More often than not my creative efforts end up in a vaccuum somewhere, but this was direct and real and very satisfying.

I think to a stranger crashing in on this event it might seem uneventful, but the day's events aren't in the dance circle or the vendors, or the contests, etc. The real events are taking place in the exchanges between old friends. All I can comment on are my own, and they were warm and welcome and very helpful.

My camcorder battery gave out taping the two tiny tot grassdancers, so sorry, Brenda, I can't give you an overview of who's who. Though it was the highlight of the show. Nobody put out a blanket, but people were spontaneously throwing in bills for the two boys, they both got a nice little haul. Those little dudes ROCK.

Forest
12-09-2001, 01:12 AM
Glad you liked the PG Pow-wow. We don't envision it as ever becoming as large as the one in Hillsborough, but it's not intended to be. It's a homecoming, much as we have at our church, and is ment to be a time for folks to get together and visit and see old friends. It is also special because it is held in the old community. Hillsborough does NOT have an Indian community; it simply has a handful of Indian families living there who come,most of them, from Pleasant Grove. The reconstructed village and the big "public" pow-wow there sometimes give the wrong idea about where the people actually live today.

The NC Supreme Court has declined to hear the Indian Commission's Appeal, and has directed the Orange Co. Superior Court to issue an order consistent with the NC Court of Appeals decsion which will give official recognition to the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation. (That's the nutshell version) The legislature will still have to add a seat to the Board before the Tribe can actually be seated, and this will not happen before early summer. Legally, the Tribe will be recognized, but will not be able to sit on the Board yet. It is good that this matter, which has proved to be a devisive one for Indians in the State, is finally over. One of the first things the Occaneechi will address is revising the process, not to make it easier, but to make it more easily understandible and clearer to future petitioners. We firmly believe that there needs to be a recognition process, but it should be crafted in such a way as to remove the subjectivity now inherant in the system.

This process has has been a long and frustrating one, and yet has forced the Occaneechi to do the research that will now be used in the Tribe's Federal petition. Tribal researchers have traveled to Ohio, Indian, Michigan, Virginia, and many counties of NC to run down the records needed to put together the history of the tribe. Much of this, in an abbreviated version, is presented on my website at www.hogbuster.com. (http://www.hogbuster.com.) If anyone has any questions about the research, or the community up here, I'll do my best to answer them.

Brenda Collins Dillon
12-09-2001, 12:22 PM
Thank you Forest for your imput on the outcome of the process for reconization. We here on the forum have been following the process with interest.

I have been to your website and find it very interesting. As you have probably noticed we have started a list of surnames that we feel have strong ties to the SE tribes including the Saponi. We have several members interested in the surname COLLINS. I stumbled onto some information about an early ( late 1600 -early 1700) Commissioner of Indian Affairs by the name of John Collins. Can you give us any information on this man? The information I have says he was used in many official meetings and treaties as a interperter. This would have been many years before the "Orange Co. Virginia 1742 case" where the 26 Saponi's were ordered to leave the county, however, a John Collins is listed as being among the 26 Saponi's involved in the case.I realize that many times the Saponi adopted names of people that they looked up to and thus might not be of any relation but thought I would ask anyway.
Brenda Collins Dillon http://bj_dillon.tripod.com/fort_christanna.htm

sammarroq
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you Forest for your imput on the outcome of the process for reconization. We here on the forum have been following the process with interest.

I have been to your website and find it very interesting. As you have probably noticed we have started a list of surnames that we feel have strong ties to the SE tribes including the Saponi. We have several members interested in the surname COLLINS. I stumbled onto some information about an early ( late 1600 -early 1700) Commissioner of Indian Affairs by the name of John Collins. Can you give us any information on this man? The information I have says he was used in many official meetings and treaties as a interperter. This would have been many years before the "Orange Co. Virginia 1742 case" where the 26 Saponi's were ordered to leave the county, however, a John Collins is listed as being among the 26 Saponi's involved in the case.I realize that many times the Saponi adopted names of people that they looked up to and thus might not be of any relation but thought I would ask anyway.
Brenda Collins Dillon http://bj_dillon.tripod.com/fort_christanna.htm

I am sorry to see most of Brenda's links are no longer valid:(

Linda
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I reproduced as much of her old site as I could to http://www.saponitown.com/brenda-collins-dillon/index.htm. I don't see an article about Fort Christanna, but there's a whole lot there. If you find any links we can update, let me know.

sammarroq
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I reproduced as much of her old site as I could to http://www.saponitown.com/brenda-collins-dillon/index.htm. I don't see an article about Fort Christanna, but there's a whole lot there. If you find any links we can update, let me know.

Sorry Linda, I didn't see your post...I will check it out:) Brenda's Collins line and my Gibson's followed the same path, so I am no longer suprised how they came to be in Nicholas, WV:) I really think I need to get my g-aunt Betty Jean in on this...she has most of my ggrandmother's things, which may answer ?...or cause further confusion...

Shirley