PDA

View Full Version : Southside VA NA Descendants Assc Mission

barryc
05-16-2001, 12:17 PM
I drafted something as a mission to be able to post at Sat's Pow Wow. However, we should all think about it and see what changes we'd want to make to it. Below is what is presently in writing:

Southside Virginia
Native American Descendants Association:

1. Allow people in the piedmont section of Virginia to celebrate their Native American heritage and culture as a community.

2. To develop and maintain an open and comprehensive historical record of Native American history in the piedmont area of Virginia and Native American history in general.

3. To help people research their family’s Southern Virginia Native American heritage.

4. To help individuals within the community form mutually beneficially relationships and partnerships that will improve one another lives.

Please suggest/add/delete so that we all buy-in.

Barry

Linda
05-16-2001, 09:55 PM
I would add something to the effect that this is not just for people currently or recently from that area, but for people from anywhere whose heritage takes them back there.

barryc
05-17-2001, 10:37 PM
Linda, propose some verbage. BC

Linda
05-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Revise point # 1 to read

1. Allow people with native ancestry deriving from the piedmont section of VA/NC, irregardless of where they now reside, to celebrate their Native American heritage and culture as a community.

There also needs to be some sentiments about reviving kinship ties, sponsoring reunions.

barryc
05-21-2001, 11:21 AM
Sounds good Linda. I made the change.

I also added the following 5th bullet point:

To aid various communities within the Piedmont, with Native American roots, to organize their communities and better understand their Native American heritage.

[This message has been edited by barryc (edited 05-21-2001).]

hathcock
06-09-2001, 11:41 AM
if I can be of any assistance please let me know.My ancestors came from brunswick co va.
ron hathcock

nicosaponi
11-22-2001, 03:37 PM
GREETINGS TO EVERYONE,
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE.WHAT A GREAT RELIEF AND PLEASURE TO SEE THIS AWAKENING/FINAL ACKNOWLEDEGE OF WHOM ARE ANCESTORS TRULY WERE.I'M VERY INTERESTED IN THE PURPOSED "SOUTHSIDE VA NA DESCENDANTS ASSOCIATION".SO,PLEASE POST AS MUCH INFO AS TO HOW WE SHOULD GET STARTED.THE MATERNAL SIDE OF MY FAMILY HAVE DEEP ROOTS IN VA,CULPEPER AND RAPAHANNOCK COUNTIES.NASH,EDGECOMBE,AND WARREN IN N.C..
THE PATERNAL SIDE ARE FROM SOUTH CAROLINA THE
COUNTIES OF ORANGEBURG,LAURENS,AND AIKENS.
FAMILY SUR-NAMES ARE;COLBERT,TIMBERS,JENKINS,
WILLIAMS,BOONE,WHITE,BATTLE,CHAVIS,SIMPSON,
HARRIS,TOM,AND RICHARDSON.

------------------

nicosaponi
11-22-2001, 03:39 PM
GREETINGS TO EVERYONE,
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE.WHAT A GREAT RELIEF AND PLEASURE TO SEE THIS AWAKENING/FINAL ACKNOWLEDEGEMENT OF WHOM ARE ANCESTORS TRULY WERE.I'M VERY INTERESTED IN THE PURPOSED "SOUTHSIDE VA NA DESCENDANTS ASSOCIATION".SO,PLEASE POST AS MUCH INFO AS TO HOW WE SHOULD GET STARTED.THE MATERNAL SIDE OF MY FAMILY HAVE DEEP ROOTS IN VA,CULPEPER AND RAPAHANNOCK COUNTIES.NASH,EDGECOMBE,AND WARREN IN N.C..
THE PATERNAL SIDE ARE FROM SOUTH CAROLINA THE
COUNTIES OF ORANGEBURG,LAURENS,AND AIKENS.
FAMILY SUR-NAMES ARE;COLBERT,TIMBERS,JENKINS,
WILLIAMS,BOONE,WHITE,BATTLE,CHAVIS,SIMPSON,
HARRIS,TOM,AND RICHARDSON.

------------------

Linda
11-22-2001, 09:06 PM
Welcome Nicole. So glad to have you here. Don't worry, we'll keep you posted on what's going on. And glad to see you're not too far away.

What surnames do you have in Culpepper? My second cousin has a paper trail coming out of there. Powells I think is the main name.

nicosaponi
11-22-2001, 09:59 PM
Hi Linda,
Well, the sur-names in culpepper and rapahannock counties are;Timbers,White,Colbert,Pinn and Collins.
My maternal grandparents from the virginia
side were quite sure and proud of being eastern blackfoot saponi,the emphasis on "Blackfoot" and were very particular about
whom their children associated with from friends to potential spouses.My mother and aunts did the same with their children.Most if not all of my childhood friends were hand
picked by my mom.The main reason being they came from the "right/familiar cultural"
backround.Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Brenda Collins Dillon
11-23-2001, 07:19 AM
Nicole,

Glad to see another Collins heard from. Does your Collins have a paper trail as being listed as "Mullato" or "FPC"?

Barry, I think the proposal is as Martha Stewart says "it is a good thing". Keep up the good work.

Barry & Linda, Since there were so many small tribes gathered at Fort Christianna I think something should be said to include all of them and make it clear that we are not just for one, or have I misunderstood the purpose?

Brenda

[This message has been edited by Brenda Collins Dillon (edited 11-23-2001).]

nicosaponi
11-23-2001, 02:16 PM
Brenda,
My Collins connection comes by way of
my ggg-grandmother Nellie Collins White.She
married ggg-grandfather James White.Although
her people were fpc when she married J.W.she
was enumerated as black on the 1880 cencus.I'm
descendant from the daughter Hattie White,whom married Robert Colbert.
IN BLOOD
NICOLE

------------------

Brenda Collins Dillon
11-23-2001, 03:49 PM
Nicole,

I believe WHITE is one of the names from the Lost Colony.
Here is list of names taken from page of my website. I will also place the URL if your interested in the Collins information I have there.
http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/dillon1944/

MEN

John White (governor)
John Spendlove
Grifen Jones(welch)

Roger Bailie (assistant) John Hemmington John Burden

Annanias Dare (assistant) Edward Powell John Cheven

Christopher Cooper assistant)
Humfrey Newton
Thomas Smith

Thomas Stevens assisatant
Thomas Gramme/Graham
William Willes

John Samson assistant John Gibbs John Brooke

Dyonis Harvie assistant) Richard Shaberdge/Shabedge
Cuthbert White

Roger Pratt (assistant)
John Tydway/Tideway
John Bright

George Howe assistant) Michael Myllet Clement Tayler

Simon Fernando assistant) William Browne William Sole/Soul

Nicholas Johnson assistant)
Thomas Butler John Cotsmur

Thomas Warner ( assistant)
Hugh Patterson John Jones (welch)

Antoney Cage ( assistant) John Bridger Ambrose Viccars

Edmund English
Thomas Topan William Lucas

John Wright
William Dutton John Chapman

Hugh Tayler
Michael Bishop Richard Tompkins

Henry Mylton
William Nichols John Nichols

Morris Allen
William Clement Richard Wildye/Wilde

Richard Kemme
Richard Tavener
Arnold Archard

John Wyles
George Martyn/Martin
Martyn Sutton

Mark Bennett
James Hynde James Lucy

William Berde/Baird
John Earnest Thomas Harris

Thomas Hewit
Thomas Ellis John Stilman

John Farre
Brian Wyles/Wills Peter Little

Richard Berry
Henry Berry Henry Johnson

John Start
Richard Darige William Waters

Robert Little
Lewes Wotten Henry Rufoote

Thomas Harris
Charles Florrie Thomas Scott

Henry Browne
Henry Payne John Borden

WOMEN

Elanyer Dare ( wife of Annanias)

Agnes Wood( probably single)

Jane Woods

Elizabeth Glane (maybe wife of Derby Glane who deserted to Puerto Rico)

Alis Chapman ( wife of John)

Elizabeth Viccars

Margery Harvie

Joyce Archard

Jane Pierce ( probably single)

Audrey Tappan ( wife of Thomas)

Margaret Lawrence (probably single)

Joan Warren (probably single)

Jane Mannering (probably single)

Rose Payne (probably single)

________Coleman

Emme Merrimouth (probably single)

CHILDREN

Virginia Dare ( daughter of Annanias & Eleanor)

________Harvie

nicosaponi
11-28-2001, 12:52 AM
Brenda,
I have that same list of names,thanx.My ancestor Nellie Collins was'nt originally from virginia.She was born
in TN.How she came to be in VA is what I'm trying to piece together.

IN BLOOD
NICOLE

------------------

Linda
11-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Nicole,

Did your family clearly associate Blackfoot with Saponi? I need to keep a list of those families who've always known the connection.

Yes, Brenda, the Association is to be for all the various bands.

vance hawkins
11-29-2001, 04:07 PM
howdy --

I have not known and still am not certain we are Saponi. But on rootweb if you check the richey surname (various spellings) I saw 3 or 4 people sho said they were told they were "Blackfoot". I hope to tell them about this website and see if they can shed more light on what they know. I have old photos of Richeys who clearly are Indian. And the first Richey ancestor I know of was born in Va. in 1797, according to census, but the closest John Richey we have seen in any records was born in 1790 and married someone else. I really don't know how to research any further.

But our Richey's married into Cherokee families in Arkansas, and I am 3/16ths or 7/32Indian, with about 1/8 (2/16, or 5/32) Cherokee and the rest from the Richey's from Va., and since I've found other Richey families who said they were "Blackfoot", I think maybe that is what our ancestors were. Surnames associates are Richey, Wayland, Wood(s), and just discovered Dickson (also spelled Dixon), Brown, Looney, Guess(t) or Gist. I heard there were Delaware Gists (or Guests) from Pa and there are Cherokee as well.

any help would be appreciated. wadv. Unfortunately, we do not know from what part of Va our Richey/Wood ancestors came from.

vance hawkins

nicosaponi
11-29-2001, 08:05 PM
Linda,
For as long as I remember my mothers
mothers people said that "they","us" were
"s'poni" Blackfoot,they put the emphasis on
"Blackfoot".The surnames are Colbert,White,
and Collins.They resided in culpeper and
rappahannock counties but they were originally from TN,and Miss.The names Colbert and White are also on the rolls of
the Creek,Cherokee,Chickasaw and Seminole.
Other surnames in my family include;Mack,
Fields,Toatley,and Goins.

IN BLOOD
NICOLE

------------------

Linda
11-29-2001, 08:09 PM
What the address to this Rootsweb?

Wayland, Wood(s), and just discovered Dickson (also spelled Dixon), Brown, Looney, Guess(t) or Gist.

Brown can be a Saponi name, and Dixon, Guess I know I've seen, but can't find it now. Wood is associated with SE Indian families.

nicosaponi
11-30-2001, 07:39 PM
Linda,
The "s'poni","Blackfoot" was whom my
virginia people are.Not only were the my
Collins recorded as "fpc" so were the Timbers,Arrington and white.Their names are
featured in "OLD CULPEPER COUNTY" register of
free people of color,aka free negroes/mullatoes.The counties consisted of
culpeper,madison and rappahannock.A very kind
person visiting this site emailed me and gave
me some very valuable information and stated
that he recognized my family names in doing
his own research,and said he would get as much info for me.So when I find out anything
else I'll share it with everyone.Linda,have
you or anyone started to formerly compile the
dominant saponi/blackfoot family names?If not
we should start.

Thanx Albert!!!

IN BLOOD
NICOLE

------------------

Linda
11-30-2001, 11:03 PM
My plan is to put up a database everyone can input their data to, then can search on name, location, date, whatever. I'm being forced to get back into working with databases with my job, so I should be getting around to it sooner than later.

My second cousin has obviously NDN family coming out of Culpepper County, Powell is the main name, plus Taylor, West, Bledsoe, Mumford. Some of those were from Orange county, VA. The names are different up there from the names you find in southside VA and NC.

Glad to find you cousin. There are four or five Blackfoot ladies now that I know of in VA/NC. We all need to get together and get some mess brewing.

nicosaponi
12-04-2001, 03:10 PM
Linda,
Glad to see we're on the same track.I
mixed up some info on my family.I've gotten such
an influx of information I'm having a hard time organizing it all.First off I stated that my gg-grandmother Nellie Collins was born in TN.What I ment was her family/gg-
grandfather was from TN.The Timber(s)of Old
Culpeper besides the Collins were "Saponi/Blackfoot".You're right we should get together.Linda,when are you gonna
send me L.Ds email address?

IN BLOOD
NICOLE

------------------

Linda
12-04-2001, 07:43 PM
Oops. I knew I was supposed to be doing something about that. I'll get right on it.

vance hawkins
12-11-2001, 04:48 PM
Linda,

here is a link to one of the folks on rootsewb stating a Richey connection to "Blackfoot". The person is like me -- also has a Brown connection like me -- but diffrent Browns and different Richeys. But my family has similar traditions . . .

After the message below, 3 or 4 other Richey researchers say they too have a family tradition of either (or both) Cherokee or Blackfoot ancestors. But I haven't seen any of them commenting here, though.
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=surnames.richey&m=93.95.103.105.106.117.122.123.130

vance hawkins

Linda
12-11-2001, 08:31 PM
Thanks for that link, and piecing that together. We'll just have to file that one away. There must be something going on. I had the same thing happen for me. One of the family names is Severance, and I came across another person with that name, who was told it was Blackfoot. So I added it the list of possibles.

itconani
01-04-2002, 02:38 PM
barry -
food for though:
the term Native American is a recent politically correct term. there are only several laws in effect using this language, mainly NAGPRA (native american grave protection and repatriation act). Most treaties are made with indian nation or tribes. Hence it is an older an more widly used term (indians of persons co., nancemond indian association, monacan indian association,etc.) you may consider changing your language to american indian as opposed to native american. its just semmantics i know, but it does seem more used by indians and less by other organizations that are less grounded than this organization's roots.