PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on this family

Glee Krapf
04-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Here is the line that I am looking for. Need more Info just have the names that is all. Please help!

James Coleman and Lisa Tricky
Sara Coleman and Doc Epps
Mary Liza Epps and Herman Stewart
Malcom Wright Stewart and Mary Katherine Murphy

Thank you for your help
Glee

Linda
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Welcome, glee, what a happy name you have.

Where were these folks living. If you haven't noticed already, Stewart is a common name among Virginia Indian families. Use the search button in the upper right and see what comes up.

Glee Krapf
04-24-2003, 06:31 PM
"our family
names are Coleman,Epps, Stewart, Stuart, on my
Dad's side, and this is where he grew up (Person Co., NC.), until age 12.
His parents and a couple of great-grandparents moved
north in 1924. "
This is part of an e-mail that I got from my in-laws. My daughters husband's mother says that they are of the Saponi Tribe. I am trying to find more info than she seems to know. I belong to the western band of the Cherokee nation. My daughter and her busband have a baby and for her want to find out about her ancestors on her father's side since I know so much about her mother's side. Laura is the only grand child that I have. I was told that the family started in VA and then moved on down to Person Co., NC. The family is now in Norristown PA.
Do you know anyone who might have info on this family. I just joined this forum today so am very green about how this all works.
I am used to using Rootsweb mail lists now forums like this.
Thank you for answering me.
Glee is my real middle name.

Linda
04-24-2003, 09:13 PM
The Person County Indians are primarily Saponi (as much as anyone on this earth can claim) and are state recognized. They've been recognized for a long time. I don't know offhand what the core names for them are, though I do know that Coleman, Epps and Stewart are all common Indian family names in that area.

Check out this new site http://www.sappony.org/ take note of the name of the road they're on. There's also a phone number and email address for the tribal office, and they're inviting inquiries. Please let us know what you find out.

If you search on Google for "Person County Indians" you'll find a number of hits. My husband knows someone there. Let me know if you have trouble getting in touch with anyone.

Rosebud (here on the forum) is a Stewart from the county (Northampton) where some folks (unofficially) feel the Indian Stewarts originated from.

Forest
05-22-2003, 01:35 PM
The core names of the Indians of Person County are Tally, Epps, Stewart/Stuart, Martin, Shepard, Coleman, and Johnson. They are changing the official name of the group from Indians of Person County to Sappony Indians, but as of today the answering machine still says Indians of Person Co.
Many of the older people still claim an identity as Cherokee and/or Powhatan descendants, but in recent years other tribal members have pushed the Saponi theory.

There are some mid-1800's era blood ties to the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation through the Shepard/Stewart family. Mr. Odis Martin is the current Chief. Epps and Stewart are the oldest names in the group, which was in Lunenburg Co. prior to coming to Person/Halifax.

CoheeLady
05-29-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm a bit confused, as I have always thought that the Person County Indians were Cherokee. :confused:
coheelady

Randy
03-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Glee
I understand you have Stewart ancestors too - if not already,
please see my new posting of March 26, 2004 under
Stewart OR Stuart - Share Genealogical Research

thanks Randy

Bill Childs
04-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Glee,
Here is some info on Malcom (Malcolm), Herman & Mary (Epps) Stewart, and Mary's brother William Epps. This township's census was not dated.

From 1930 Montgomery Co., Pa., Census - ED68 Lower Merion Twp, Bryn Mawr. Page 219, at dwelling 105, family 105:
"STEWART,
Herman; Auto Mechanic; m, W, 39, m21. NC, NC, NC.
Mary; wife; f, W, 35, m18. Va, Va, Va.
Goldie; dau, 18, Va. (Cashier in Grocery Store).
Malcolm; son, 15, Va.
Bailey; son, 14, Va.
Hester; dau, 12, Va.
Clora; dau, 9, Va.
Marshall; son, 5, Va.
Norris; son, 3 +1/12, PA.
EPPS, William; brother-in-law, m, W, 32, m29, Va, Va, Va. (Horse man for Private Family)".
(all were listed as White. Herman & Mary were married when he was 21 and she was 18. Herman & his father & mother were reported born in North Carolina. Mary and her father & mother were reported born in Virginia.)

In 1920 Virginia, they were all listed as "Mulatto" - we're VERY versatile people !! :)

1920 Halifax Co., Va., ED91 Black Walnut Twp. Page 3B, 16 March, at 46, 47:
"STEWART,
Herman J.; farmer, m, Mu, 28. NC, Va, Va.
Mary L.; wife, f, Mu, 24. Va, Va, Va.
Golia I.; dau, 8, Va.
Malcom R.; son, 5, Va.
Baley; son, 4, NC.
Hester; dau, 2, Va."

(Some inconsistencies about where Herman's parents were born as well as where "Baley" (Bailey) was born.)

In 1920 Halifax, Herman & Mary's family lives amongst numerous Coleman, Stewart & Epps families (all "Mu") with ties to NC, but apparently not your specific names. Still searching. All Stewart/Stuart and Epps in 1920 Person Co., NC are "In" for Indian.
Bill