PDA

View Full Version : Possible other names

techteach
10-22-2003, 09:31 AM
I have some possible additional names to add to this list thanks to Bill Childs and thank you, Bill. He has spent a great deal of time following records of my family who intermarried with my ggggrandmother, Nancy Agnes McLane Ralston, who is buried in Iowa beneath a headstone that calls her Blackfoot. First of all, in the last few days, my mother has said that my great aunt thinks they were Cherokee (Blackfoot Cherokee??) and I heard this from a distant relative who has the same lineage as me who I met online. However, I have also been told that the Green clan were Shawnee.
Anyway, thanks to Bill, we think Nancy might have been a McLane/Lane. She married my supposed Scotch-Irish ggggrandfather, John Ralston. She was born in Beaver County, PA, according to 2 genealogies I have been given by people who do not know one another. Working on this information and at a later date, Bill found people living near the Ralstons who remained in PA with the same name as someone living with the families that Nancy's children married in Jackson County, Iowa. For me, this proved that the Ralstons followed people they were connected with to Iowa in 1852.
Nancy McLane's children married into these people who came to Iowa in 1840. These people are also known to be indigenous by relatives I have met online, but they were thought to be Shawnee. These names are: Green (never seem to connect them with other Greens on this forum), Sinkey, Potter, and Huston. My gggrandmother was Mary Lovina Potter, daughter of Elizabeth Sinkey, daughter of Nancy Huston, daughter of Elizabeth Green. The Greens come from Berkeley County VA, now WVA, near Shepherdstown, originally. From there, they settled in Licking County, OH in the late 1700's to early 1800's on land that they bought from the Wyandots, a town called Racoon Town, now Johnstown. Elizabeth Green married Andrew Huston there. Their daughter, Nancy Huston Potter and her husband (whose first name escapes me for the moment) moved to Jackson County, Iowa in 1840.
Following these people up, Bill was able to find people with the same names in Beaver County, PA and in Huntington, PA where the Sinkeys, Mary Potter's grandfather and great-uncles, the Sinkeys, were born and where an Andrew Huston paid a tax. Previously, Andrew had just appeared from nowhere as had Nancy Agnes McLane.
Thanks to this forum and information from Bill, Beaver County, PA was the location of a mixed Shawnee, Delaware, Mingo and Tutelo town. Huntington, PA is the location of a refuge for Saponi/Tutelo folks.
Bill has found these same names, some or all of them, at all these locations: Huntington, PA, Beaver County, PA, Licking County, OH, and Jackson County, IA. He has found first and middle names in my family that are similar to other people in Huntington who are not in my family line.
There are a few other names that appear on genealogies I have connected to these families in Berkeley County too, if anyone wants these.
FYI and thank you, Bill. Add anything you want to my summary if you want to, Bill.

Bill Childs
10-27-2003, 07:32 AM
I would add that the 1840 Licking Co., Ohio GREENs had FPCs in their household and lived very close to other families with FPCs or that were FPCs, who were not counted as FPC in 1830.
Nearly all of the family lines that were related in Iowa had been living very near each other in the 1810 to 1840 period in Licking Co and most were congregated in the same small area of Beaver & Butler Co., Penn prior to 1810. Some were already in Ohio when the first records began accumulating in 1800 to 1807.

It's not just that they have the same names - the census ennumeration for their households and the family group (brothers, fathers, etc.) reconcile very nicely - they are the same people who are found later in Ohio.

"Huntington" Co. is actually Huntingdon Co., Penn., third county "down" (S.W.) the valley from Sunbury, Northumberland Co., Penn. Huntingdon & Mifflin Co's are where we've found ancestors of other "Blackfoot" I.D.'d people around the 1780s and 1790s period. It's not a "reach" to see the connection.
Bill

techteach
10-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Not sure where this makes sense to put it, but I ran across a nice online map of counties in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey at the following URL: http://www.davidrumsey.com/maps2941.html

Cindy

techteach
10-28-2003, 01:24 PM
And one more thing. I found something that explains why the families that Bill connected for me can be listed as being from 3 different counties in Pennsylvania: Westmoreland, Huntington, Bedford. I also came across familiar names in my genealogies in Lycoming County. All these counties were one county at one time-"The Old Bedford County." The following URL gives a very complete listing of records to look in when looking for information on folks in this area: http://www.motherbedford.com/GenBook35.htm.

Cindy

Bill Childs
10-28-2003, 09:06 PM
I'll have to take a look at that. "Never turn away from something you didn't know anything about."
Bill

techteach
11-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Bill and others:
I just returned from Hickory Grove Cemetery in Jackson County, IA. The cemetery is filled with names we discussed: McCarty, Mitchell, Sinkey, Potter, Cooley, McClane, Ralston, Houston, Green, Willison, and Heath. Have I forgotten any? I saw many of the folks we talked of, including a large headstone with the name Rhodes too, born in the year 1815 - brother of Joseph, maybe?. If you looked at the URL I posted on Buffalo Valley history from Bucknell University (Old Bedford County), most of those names were there also. It was both intriguing and emotional experience, almost all of my grandmother's ancestors back to the two who fought in the Rev. War. My husband took digital images of headstones with the names. And I compared the headstone names in the pictures we took with some of the data you sent. It almost read like the list of Licking County folks from 1820 list that you sent me: Asa Cooley, William Potter, William Sinkey, James Sinkey. They were all there in that cemetery.
Other names for anyone interested who are there and in the genealogies of the Greens: Edwards, Clarks, and Streets.
Does the name DeMoss ring any bells? They were there too, on a large headstone. I know that they were in Licking County too and they marry into my line - one would be my ggg-aunt.
And finally, I attached the snap of the headstone of Nancy Agnes McLane, with its reference to Blackfoot. It is new, but the original was there. It simply read, "Mother."

Cindy

Bill Childs
11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Abstracted from his or his descendants Rev. War Pension Files:

Col. Van Swearingen, b. 1719; d. 1788.
Colonel of Militia, Berkeley Co., Va.
Married twice:
1) Sarah Swearingen, his cousin.
2) Priscilla Metcalf.

Thomas Swearingen, estab'd Ferry at Shepherdstown in 1775.
(son of Col. Van?)

Hezekiah Swearingen, b. 1747, d. Jan 3, 1817. Marr'd Rebecca Turner. Son of Col. Van Swearingen.

Capt. Van Swearingen, son of Thomas. Native of Berkeley Co. Moved about 1774 to now Fayette Co., Pa, settled on the Monongahela River.
Raised an independent company of rifleman which on Aug 9, 1776, was attached to the 8th Penn Regiment.
Was in Battle of Stillwater, 1777, wounded and taken prisoner. Upon his release, served until he resigned Aug 10, 1779. Settled in Washington Co., Pa., where he became the 1st sheriff of that county from 1781 to 1784.
1785 - moved to Brooke Co., Va (WVa) near Wellsburg.
Was a Scout during the Indian Wars.
"Died Dec 2, 1798, age 51. Another account says he was killed Nov 4, 1791, by Indians at St.Clair's Defeat, near Ft. Recovery, Ohio, while serving as Capt of Detachment of Ky Militia."

Maj. Thomas Swearingen, b. 1752, son of Thomas who established a Ferry at Shepherdstown in 1775, brother of Benoni & Joseph. Served Rev. War.
Went to Kentucky in 1779. Two Dau's Lydia & Drusilla marr'd Morgan's. His son Van, killed at St. Clair's Defeat.

Benoni Swearingen, youngest son of Thomas Swearingen, served in Rev. War at battle of Germantown. Went to Boonesborough Ky in 1779.

Capt. Joseph Swearingen, b. July 10, 1754, d. Shepherdstown August 1821. 1st Lt. 12th Virginia, Mar 1, 1777.
Capt-Lt., 8th Virginia (the redesignated 11th Va.), Apr 14, 1779.
Prisoner at Charlestown, May 12, 1780.
Served in Army a total of 8 yrs per General Muhlenberg.
Marr'd Hannah Rutherford, b.1752; one son Thomas, b. Feb 5, 1784; "may have been more children".

techteach
11-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Bill:
You are getting dangerously close to connecting the two sides of my grandparents' family, if you have not just done it. I do not know exactly how military units worked in the Revolutionary War, but William Sinkey's headstone reads that he was in the 8th Pennsylvania. Not only that, but many of the Green children had the name, Van Swearingen Green or whatever the last name happened to be. This is part of the reasoning that my cousin who writes about finding hidden native American ancestors thinks that the Greens were Shawnee. (I told my mother that it seemed that both the ancestors of her parents ultimately came from the same area but seemingly different sides of the railroad tracks, so to speak.) Does this seem to say that they might have been part of the group going to PA?
(For anyone else reading this, the Swearingens have been almost IDed as some ggg grandparent of mine on my grandfather's side who do not appear to have native ancestry (although the verdict is still out) while the William Sinkey is my something like 5th great grandfather on my grandmother's side who certainly are mixed, traced to the Huntington area of PA, then Ohio, then Iowa.)
Do you think that this Swearingen line might have been mixed? You know, I found a genealogy online of this Swearingen family. It took me to Thomas Jefferson and to Welch kings. It was great fun following it one night when I was waiting for a long article to print out. One of that PA line goes to the Mayflower too.

Cindy

Oops, I just reread your email. Metcalf (Vaschel) was a name that married one of the original Green sisters, Regnald's sister, I believe (and I believe he was at least mixed). And William Sinkey was in the 8th in 1781, I believe, not before. Have you any theories here?

Bill Childs
11-15-2003, 07:23 AM
No. No ideas at this point. The Swearingen listings came up while I was searching for Jeremiah Williams (for Brenda). Seems Jeremiah Williams was a witness to something for a surname listed just before the Swearingens - it had nothing to do with Swearingens. So, haven't done anything further with them.

techteach
11-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Bill:
The Van Swearingen who was sheriff in Washington County, PA was known as "Indian" Van. I just found it on the Swearingen forum, http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?indian::swearingen::707.html. Very interesting. I wonder why the nickname?
The Karel Whitye that is involved in this posting maintains a web site on the Swearingen family. On this web site, she indicates that Drusilla Tomlinson married John Carpenter. I have not sifted how this Drusilla Tomlinson is connected with this Van Swearingen though, but it appears very likely to me that the families do indeed connect, especially given that the Van Swearingen name appears in the Green family. I think I remember seeing Bradys in the cemetary with all the others two weeks ago.
You know, if all this is true, I find it even more dispicable what Joseph Tomlinson was involved with.

Cindy

Bill Childs
11-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Cindy,
The best "Indian fighters" were often other documented Indians - John Floyd of Ky, William Preston, John Preston, Vincent Hobbs, etc., they were just from different Indian people than the ones they were fighting.
See a new thread "Jeremiah Williams" on "Share Gen.." section for a connection between him and Joseph Tomlinson. Pretty sure it's your Tomlinson.
Bill

MrBaker
04-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I came to this forum looking for hints on one branch of my family that I've been told was Blackfoot. Looking around, though, I keep seeing interesting bits and pieces that have gotten me wondering about other branches, as well.

I know this thread is old at this point, but it sure jumped out at me. Bill, if you read this, I must ask what you meant about Vincent Hobbs. Do you have, or have you seen, information suggesting he was an Indian? If you are referring to the Vincent Hobbs that was credited with killing Bob Benge, as well as being a renowned long hunter and Indian fighter, I'd definitely like to see such information. I am a direct descendant of his sister, Rachel Hobbs. It is my understanding, as well as many other Hobbs descendants, that their parents were both Welsh - born in Wales.

Thanks,
Randall