PDA

View Full Version : Collins' in TN, KY, WV

archgrl
11-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Hello everyone... glad I found you on the internet! I've been reading some posts and notice a few of you are also researching, and have questions about, several Collins families. I am researching two Collins lines on my father's side and hope someone can help me here.
One is Amos Collins, born abt. 1790, married Muriel/Mariel. I read a couple posts, I believe from "Everett", that said Amos' father was Rufus, and his grandfather was Thomas.
I am descended from Freeling Huyson Collins (b. 1816), son of Amos Collins, who lived in both Clay County, KY and Grainger County, TN for a time. I have seen others theorize that Freeling was a FPC, or more specifically part Saponi, as was his father Amos. However, the census never shows either of them of being anything but "white".
The second line is Larkin Collins, born abt. 1803, married twice: Sally ? and Mary Collins. I am descended through his son Darlis Collins (b. 1836), who lived in Grainger County for a time before moving his family to West Virginia.
Larkin Collins is listed as a FPC on 1830 Grainger County Census... does anyone know of his Native American or African American origins?
I must confess I have only been researching my genealogy for about 6 months now... these lines have been difficult to research, not to mention many of my Collins' married their cousins or otherwise had "non-traditional" relationships with eachother.
I appreciate any help with Amos and Larkin.
Glad to have found this forum.... I am enjoying reading the other postings.

Carrie E. Collins

Brenda Collins Dillon
11-21-2003, 02:11 PM
pgs.2,10,11,13,15,16 in this census Clay Co KY 1840
Wm Collins 4 males FPC
Morris Collins 2 males, 4 females, all FPC
James Collins 2 females FPC
Archibald Collins 8 in household
Elija Collins 5 in household
Amos Collins 10 in household
Calvin Collins 5 in household
Gilbert Collins 5 in household
Frelin Collins 4 in household
the above 4 have neighbors named Sizemore, Begley, Bolin, Roberts, Herd,
Couch, Jones--sound familiar?
John Collins 8 in household
His neighbors are Lovines, Gibson (Andrew), Anderson and Reid.
Levi Collins 2 males 5 females FPC

Kentucky Marriages
COLLINS, Allen RATCLIFF, Phoebe 20-MAY-1857
COLLINS, Amanda COLLINS, Andrew J 17-APR-1852
COLLINS, Amos COLLINS, Nancy J 07-JUL-1857
COLLINS, Elijah RATCLIFF, Nancy J 23-FEB-1853
COLLINS, George W COLLINS, Lydia 02-FEB-1854
COLLINS, Jefferson TACKETT, Matilda 13-JAN-1852
COLLINS, Lidy Elizabeth JACKSON, Samuel 25-MAR-1845
COLLINS, Mary J TURNER, Joseph 22-FEB-1857
COLLINS, Mary Jane PORTER, Samuel 11-APR-1847
COLLINS, Matilda DALE, Pleasant 04-JUN-1858
COLLINS, Rachael MUSICK, Abraham 03-JUL-1856
COLLINS, William RATCLIFF, Levisa 20-DEC-1851
COLLINS, William W RUSSELL, Susan L 10-MAR-1859

Clay Co. Kentucky
September 3,1854 (Page 285 Vol 5)
Commonwealth VS Margaret Collins & Elizabeth Collins
Being in custody charged with the offense of stealing a child under the age of
ten years old and being admitted to bail in the sum of $100 We? Amos Collins,
Pleasant Sisemore & Benjamin Collins of Clay County -------- undertake that
the above named Elizabeth & Margaret Collins shall appear in the Clay Circuit
Court on the first day of next April term to answer said charge and shall
------ render themselves amendable to the orders and process of the court in
the prosecution of said charge and of ------- shall render? Themselves
------(the rest is difficult to read)

Isaac McCollum, F.I. Gilbert, Gilbert Collins, Wm M. McCollum, Calvin Collins,
Claiborn Smith, Aggy Sizemore, Aaron Collins, Pleasant Sizemore, Eliza Scalf,
Rebecca Scalf, Elizabeth Collins, Jesse Scalf, & Mahala Woods each
acknowledged themselves indebted to the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the penal
sum of $100 to be levied of their respective goods & chattels lands &
tenements to the use of the Commonwealth rendered but to be void upon their
appearance here on the first day of next term of this court as witnesses for
the Commonwealth against Margaret Collins and not depart without leave of the
Court.

Commonwealth VS Susan Collins
Being in custody charged with stealing a child under the age of ten years old

Hope something in this is of help
Brenda

archgrl
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Thank you Brenda for the information....

Carrie

Jerry Lee Collins
12-27-2007, 08:31 PM
My name is Jerry Lee Collins. My father is Larkin Collins 1882-1954. He is the son of Darlis, whose father was Larkin b. 1803. My father had two earlier children by an earlier wife their names were Conley who died in 1980, and Mary Magdalene whom I have lost track of. I have 3 younger siblings, Larry Wayne, Mary Alice, and Sarah Ann. Our father told us that he was 1/4 native American. He died when we four children were 9,7,5, and almost 1 year old.

beeleaf
12-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Jerry,

Welcome!

Bee

knoxwanda
01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Jerry,
Did your dad have a sister by the name(Frances Octavia) M. Freelin Collins, lived in Grainger County, TN.?

Jerry Lee Collins
01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, my dad's siblings include Franklin, Clinton, HenryC, Mary M, Sarah E, Julydia, and Francis Octavia. Francis married Freeland H. Collins. Daddy was the second youngest, Francis was six years younger, born in 1888. Do you have information about any of these folks? I have birth dates for for all except Clinton and know that he was born in 1868, but no month or day. I have visited "Cracker's Neck" once, in 1970, when I was 25 years old. We stayed with Vertie Nash (whose mother was Mary M.) She was grieving the loss of her daughter in a car wreck in or near Rogersville. I remember visiting Luther Beeler and his wife, they lived very near the railroad track. We also visited a lady named Betty who had a son named Larry Wayne (the same as my brother) who had recently died in an accident at work. We visited "Little Frank" who was the son of the original "Little Frank" as I recall. I helped 2 of the men put hay in the barn, but can't recall their names. We visited the Collins cemetery at the church in the valley. I need to go back there while I still can. Daddy moved to Indianapolis sometime around about 1940 or earlier. I was born February 24, 1945. I'm afraid I have more questions than answers. Thanks for the contact.

knoxwanda
01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Jerry,
My name is Wanda Mae Collins Carmichael,my grandmother was Frances Octavia Collins) M.Freeland Collins.Octavia b.June 26,1888-d.May11,1967.Freeland H.Collins b Nov.27,1888-d.Sept 4,1967.They are buried in Collins cemetary in Grainger county,not the one down at the church.They had 9 children,Bradley (my dad)Floyd,Loyd,Myrtie,Amer,Rena,Boyd,Conley&Glades.They have all passed away.Could you tell me your grandmothers name that m.Darlis? I guess that would us s.cousins.
Ans. soon Wanda:confused:

Jerry Lee Collins
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Wanda,
My grandmother Collins name was Martilda? sp? Lusk b.1846, d. 22 April 1912, they called her "Muh", her father was Reece T. Lusk, mother Elizabeth Morgan. I'm very happy to make your acquaintance and to know that we are cousins.

knoxwanda
01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Jerry,
You have a message in box!!!
Wanda:confused:

knoxwanda
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
:confused: Hi Jerry,
Could you tell me about your ggranddad Larkin Collins & wife,and where they lived?
Thanks Wanda:confused:

ahwikatani
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
hello, I am looking for Collins family.My grandmother was nancy collins born 1900 in mcdowell co,wva. My grandfather used to tease my grandmother because when the people came to take the census,she would run and hide,my grandfather would always say "Go and hide,my little blackfoot!" I have living relatives today that say we have native heritage from va,wva,nc,tn areas,but I have yet to find out what tribe.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

warlord
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Amos Collins abt 1791 born in Virgina was my 4th gr grandfather. I also have heard the theories about his oragins, and have yet to see anything substancial. So where did these stories of his being of indian decent come from. Maybe I should have a dna test done to see if there is any real evidence. Do any of you know of a good testing Company?

ahwikatani
10-13-2008, 06:05 AM
the native american decent comes from all the family talks-mother,grandmother,aunts and so forth,some passed,some still living. I am so curious about it ,I now have a geneologist researching my grandmother's name.He is not completely finished w/ the research but he has found some interesting things on her and said there is a very good lead he has on the native american side,all I can do is sit and wait till he completes his research at this point.

warlord
10-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I have very liited information about my Collins ancestors. Mom and dad divorced when i was about 4 and I have only met 1 collins outside of the imediate family, and she never mentioned such a connection. I have gone back as far as I can with my collins, Amos is the first, If there is a link back to someone before him I would appreciate the information.
Thanks

Carolyn1955
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Amos Collins abt 1791 born in Virgina was my 4th gr grandfather. I also have heard the theories about his oragins, and have yet to see anything substancial. So where did these stories of his being of indian decent come from. Maybe I should have a dna test done to see if there is any real evidence. Do any of you know of a good testing Company?

Amos Collins is my 3rd g-grandfather and I am having an mtDNA done this week. My male relatives will be having there's done as well at familytreedna.com

I'll post the results as soon as I get them...

warlord
06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I had a dna test done at ancestry but it told me nothing, I come down from amos through his son John Gilbert

Carolyn1955
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
So did I. Solomon Collins was John Gilbert Collins son and my 2nd g-grandfather. The testing at familytreedna.com is awesome and has shown many successes! Go to their website and read everything including their forum. They have a Collins Project and are studying dna from Amos that is on file. So you could be matched. The mtDNA can be taken by both male and female. My brother will be having his done as well.

Caorlyn

Carolyn1955
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I meant to say so do I... on the first line of the above response. I also have family descending from Amos Collins, but no, I have never had a DNA test taken through Ancestry.com for many reasons not worth going into. I choose FamilyTreeDNA.com because of their reputation and awesome forum of researchers, etc. that are willing to look at your results and help you understand it. I highly recommend mtDNAPlus as a starting point and it's easily upgraded if you need more information later on. Thanks

knoxwanda
11-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Carolyn, I'm also related to Amos thur Freeling Collins M. Hannah Stevens. Carolyn, do you know anything about Hannah Stevens?
Thanks,:confused: Wanda