PDA

View Full Version : Family Surnames

Pages : 1 [2]

vjohn7111
01-03-2007, 06:52 AM
My great-grandmother was said to be a Blackfoot Indian who lived in Caswell County, NC @1860-1925. Her last name was Hatchett, but he was the owner of the farm she worked on in the kitchen. Of course I feel there was more to it than meets the eye, but that's all I have for now.
Additionally, I noticed that Williamson is a common name for Blackfoot Indians in that region. The rest of my relatives had the Williamson last name.
If anyone has a possible connection, email me please.
Thanks,
Vic

Patricia Olson
01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Father's side: Hord/Hoard/Webster/McGar/Johnson/Gilbert/Robinson
Mother's side: Sizemore/Oakley/Joyner/Hobgood/Cates/Chandler
From Christian County,Kentucky....Hopkins County, Kentucky....Webster County, Kentucky,etc.
A great Idea and I hope for a reply with my nissing links.
Patricia Hoard Olson

Ghostbuffalo
01-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Ghostbuffalo(Jerry Hale).My family surnames are Burris Clarke,Darst,Hail,Hale,Hatfield,Lyons,Dudley,Kelly ,Miles,Arthur,Fullerton,Bullock,Osburn,Stanley,Wee kly,Willson,Wilson.My Hale ancestor came to Elizabeth city,VA. in 1620, his decendants moved from the Piemont to Franklin county,VA.

e-wi
01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Some of my surnames are:

Griffin, Blevins, Ward, Green, Markland, Barber

Rudder, Coyle, Ensor, Kincaid, Craig, Kessinger

Most of them came from England, Wales or Scotland to VA to KY. Some of them however, were already here and they're the ones I'm focusing on now.

Good Hunting! e-wi

blackindiangirl
02-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Don't know how I overlooked this thread, but here are some of my surnames:

Dad's side: WALLER, MAYO, BRAXTON, KEY, SMITH, COOKE, PRYOR, HOLMES, ROYE/ROSS/BOYCE?, LEE, YOUNG, KEY, CONWAY, LAW(e)S, STREET, MORRIS, JACKSON.....just some direct lines

(The majority of Dad's side come from the Northern Neck of Virginia: King William/King&Queen, Charles City, Essex, Gloucester and Middlesex Counties. Also from Edgecombe and Chowan Co. NC)

Mom's side: GREEN, WHITING, COOK(E), RICHARDSON, HARRIS, JONES, KING....to name a few direct lines. I have to do much more research on her side. To my knowledge Mom's people were centralized in Gloucester Co VA.

Maybe later I will list some indirect family surnames including LOCKLEY, REED, REDMOND, WHITE, JENKINS, and possibly GAINES....as soon as I find the "ties that bind".:)

sammarroq
02-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Thought I would post what I know so far: Adkins, Anderson, Baldwin/Balden, Bishop, Daniel, Gibson, Hackney, Sparks, Shortridge, Thomas, Vail, (Brown, Lacy, Landreth).

Shirley

Rachel McCraw
02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I thought I had posted to this thread before, but looking back, I guess not.

At any rate, the surnames I am interested in are:
Maternal: McCRAW, TAYLOR, SMITH
(Pulaski, Montgomery, Carroll, Floyd, and surrounding areas of VA, out of NC. Taylor relatives were Cherokee who went up the NRV, and this line is all a huge mess. Lots of avoiding records all around.)
WICKLINE, WISEMAN, CROSIER/CROZIER, STEELE, MILLER
(from Monroe Co. WV and Giles/Craig Co. VA)

Paternal:
MULLINS, FLEMING, TACKETT/TACKITT, STUMBO/STAMBACH, OSBORN(E), BOLLING, JOHNSON
(KY/WV coalfields, many from NC via VA)
SHRADER, FRENCH, PRUETT, COBURN, KINSER, WOHLFORD, CARVER
(around Bland Co. VA, via Montgomery Co. VA)

Stepfather:
WHITE (from Southside VA, just over NC border), MORGAN (Shenandoah Valley)

I actually put off moving my records a bit too long and lost most of them in a house fire back in VA before Christmas, so it's kind of slow going at the moment.

ressa
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Bill, I have to thank you bunches for your assistance in locating a few of my ancesters in the past! :)

Maternal:
HUNTER, FERRELL, CARPENTER, WIGGINS, COOKE,

Paternal:
RICHARDSON, OLIVE, CLACK, MONTAGUE, PERSONS, NEAL

Step gggrandmother:

Arnell/Armette/Annette STEWART

Wake County and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Virginia is a possible state to included, but, I am not sure of city or cty yet.

ressa
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
William Richardson married Rebecca Olive March 11, 1869 (this info was given when we had our first family reunion 1994)..

While searching and receiving help this is the following info found:

1870 Wake co., NC Census-White Oak Twp/Apex, NC

Richardson, William- Feb/1845-Farm laborer-Mulatto
Rebecca- May 15, 1950-Mulatto
Gilbert-Mar 1870-4 months-Mulatto

1880 Wake Co., NC Census-White Oak twp/Apex, NC

Richardson, William Feb/1845 Farmer-Mu
Rebecca May/1850 wife Mu
Gilbert March 1870 11 son Mu
Wm. T. 9 son Mu
Mary 8 daughter Mu
Cora J 6 daughter Mu
Malpheus 4 son (twin) (Mal) Mu
Alpheus 4 son (twin) (Alf) Mu
Calvin 3 son Mu
Sexton 2 (Seck) Mu

Rebecca passed April 8, 1889, however, she had more children named as follows:
Carey (aka Carry) son May 1885 GGrandfather
Luke R son Sept 1886
Lenora daughter Apr 1887

William seemed to believe in a big family. He got remarried to Arnell (aka Armetta, Arnetta, Annette) Stewart on June 14 1891. He married her a few years before Malpheus(son) married Ellen Jeffreys.(wow, talking about uncles and aunts being the same ages as nieces and nephews).

1900 Wake Co- NC Census-Swift Creek Twp

Richardson, William farmer Feb 1845 age 55
Arnetta wife Sept 1874 - 25
Hoover son Jul 1895
Rosa dau May 1897
Fred D son May 1899

There are additonal children I have to find.

Just wanted to share some of the info.

Ressa

Mousini78
03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Ressa...you were looking for some of these surnames?

CLACK, MONTAGUE, PERSONS, NEAL

Step gggrandmother:

Arnell/Armette/Annette STEWART
Wake County and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Virginia is a possible state to included, but, I am not sure of city or cty yet.

In Person county, NC we have Clacks, Stewart (Stuarts), and Montagues....you have any specific information? Please post here and I will see if we have any information that may be helpful to you.
Becky

Linda
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I just moved the last three posts about the Andersons, Coles, Goings to this thread where it will not get lost and be seen by the right people.

http://www.saponitown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2942

lauren
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I am searching the following family names: Dowdy, Trawick (Traywick) Blankenship, Coleman (Kuhlman), Mullins, Davis, Hastings

Lauren

ressa
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi Becky,

Thanks for your help. I have been trying to find some addtional info to give to you.

My understanding from some of the family members, Virginia is a possiblility from

which the Richardson may have live first. I do not know the cty. I have just

realize in the last few month that I had a stepgggrandmother(arnell, Arnetta,

Armetta, Annette/BD Sept 1874) and she was not the same person as

gggrandmother Rebecca Olive/1850. This name Stewart is new to me.

Alice/Alisey Montague is my gggrandmother. No one knows if she was married or

not. I came across info (must search again) Addie Montague great

grandmother's father is unknown.

All I know for sure is that Richardson were from Apex/Chatham Cty by way of

maybe Virginia. Montague were living in Wake Cty-Wake Forest, NC and still there

when the ladies married Richardson. The Clacks (Ben Clacks married Fannie

Persons) were from Wake Cty, however, there is a Royster in here someway, but,

I am not sure yet and I may not get to know. I am sure this info is vague, all I

have right now. Thanks so much.

Ressa

jennifer feldpa
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
my surname is Shepard

im looking for Henry Shepards parents and his wife Jessie parents. Henry was born in 1860 and died in 1935 in Hamtrack Michigan Wayne County.
They are my great grand parents. They had two daughters Matilda which is my grandmother and just passed away in the last year and didnt tell anyone anything about her parents or grandparents except I do know that we have blackfoot and cherokee in our blood line. The other daughters name is Marion. They also had a half sister named Margaret that lived with them at the same time they lived with there parents.

mrspatino
03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Jennifer you can also try records at Herman Kiefer Hospital in Detroit, they hold alot of birth death records for wayne county.

mrspatino
03-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I Saw that Lentz was havin a convo on Beards here is some info oh Beards that hook into my Garfield family buried up in Upper Sandusky in the old part at Old MIssion.

it reads
LOT 2
BEARD, Norman WIlliam
b 1864 d 1964
Garfield, (Newman) Marian, her name has also been written as Mariah
b 1854 d 1887
Garfield, Lewis Benjamin
b 1894 d 1900 or 1907
BEARD (Garfield) Bertha Jane
b 1894 d 1954
BEARD, John
b 1884 d 1957

SouthPaw
03-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Hello,
It's been a long while since I've been to this site. As a matter of fact, it was a few computers ago. I am so glad I found this forum again!

My surnames are paternal; HOBBS, SADLER/SADDLER, BEVANS, PACK, ESTEP, STEWART, YELLEY/YELEY, GIBSON, OLBERT/ALBERT

maternal; ADKINS, GILLUM, ISOM, FRALEY, and more ADKINS, COLEMAN
(I have been a little negligent on the ADKINS lines because I have been so obsessed with my HOBBS and SADLER/SADDLER lines.)

When I first came to this site I asked about Cherokee/Blackfoot in Grandpa HOBBS family and have since learned a great deal from reading the posts on here. I'm no closer to figuring out which ancestor he was speaking of, but I think the migration paths I've been reading about is going to be key in getting what I'm looking for.

jennifer feldpa
03-18-2007, 08:14 PM
thank you so much for the info.

SouthPaw
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Thought I would post what I know so far: Adkins, Anderson, Baldwin/Balden, Bishop, Daniel, Gibson, Hackney, Sparks, Shortridge, Thomas, Vail, (Brown, Lacy, Landreth).

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

My husband is Sparks and his aunt Aubrey Edwards married Anthony Hackney, my maternal grandfather was W.J. Adkins, my ggg grandmother was Nancy Gibson and my gg aunt Mollie Saddler married John Anderson.

Maybe we share a branch or two.

Joyce:)

sammarroq
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi Shirley,

My husband is Sparks and his aunt Aubrey Edwards married Anthony Hackney, my maternal grandfather was W.J. Adkins, my ggg grandmother was Nancy Gibson and my gg aunt Mollie Saddler married John Anderson.

Maybe we share a branch or two.

Joyce:)

Joyce,

It sounds very likely:) , I will have to check. My Sparks I know little or nothing of, but have been searching like crazy. My biological grandfather was Lloyd (?)Sparks, he was killed in the late 50's, I think Nicholas Co. WV. My father was raised by Ellison Bragg. I did not find this out until 3 years ago...

A little of the tree...

Squire Adkins b.Pike, KY m. Mary Anderson

Celia Adkins b. KY m. John F. Baldwin

David Anderson b. KY m. Jane Hackney

Mary Anderson b. KY m. Squire Adkins

John Hackney b. KY m. Jane Vail

Jane Hackney b. KY m. David Anderson

Gibson's...

Martin Gibson b. NC m. Eleanor ?

George Gibson b. Perry, KY. m. Mary “Polly” Daniel

John Gibson b. VA. m. Hulda Thomas

Isabelle R.V. Gibson b. VA m. James H. Baldwin

Ceila Baldwin b. VA. m. Jonah W. Shortridge

Maria Shortridge b. WV.

tianicwanga
03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
hello
does anyone know of any Pitts surnames of mayrland or Booker sernames of Va.?
thanks
tia

roca
03-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Dear Tia,

On the 1870 US Census,Albemarle CO,VA,Howardsville,Pg2,there's a 2 yr old boy named Marcellus Booker in the household of Richard (ancestry.com has
it as "Richel") and Malvina/Mulvina Nightingale.

I don't know the relationship of Marcellus to them.

Richard (b.1831) and Malvina Nightingale were my g-g-g grandparents.

Does this help?

Roca

tianicwanga
03-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I will have to check on that with my cousin who is also researching our family bloodlines and i will let you know
thanks
tia

SouthPaw
03-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow! Looking at your picture reminds me of a cousin on my Sadler side. Her name is Charlotte and she gets the 'prettiest in the family' vote!

On my Adkins line I can go back to

Howard Adkins m. Mary Ann? Coleman.

Owen Adkins m. Fanny Pruitt, I think.

William Joseph m. Eliza Jane Ann Waggoner.

David Adkins m. Victoria Adkins.

William Joseph Adkins m. Nancy Sue Gillum.

I can't remember Victoria Adkins' father, but she and David shared Howard as a great grandfather.

Mary (Molly) Saddler m. John Anderson in either Greenup Kentucky or Scioto County, Ohio, divorced and married Ben Adkins. I don't know Ben's line.

Molly Saddler descends from Samuel Sadler and Nancy Gibson of VA. At least I think she was from VA.

My husband is descended from Lincoln Sparks of Lawrence County, KY and Nancy Sparks. I think their common ancestor is their grandfather. Lincoln had two wives and two very large families. These Sparks come up from NC to KY. There are Boggs, Nickell, Edwards and Salyer in this tree. Aubrey Nickell/Nichol married Anthony Brooks Hackney of Morgan or Fleming County, KY. She was my husband's aunt, his mother's sister.

sammarroq
03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Wow! Looking at your picture reminds me of a cousin on my Sadler side. Her name is Charlotte and she gets the 'prettiest in the family' vote!

On my Adkins line I can go back to

Howard Adkins m. Mary Ann? Coleman.

Owen Adkins m. Fanny Pruitt, I think.

William Joseph m. Eliza Jane Ann Waggoner.

David Adkins m. Victoria Adkins.

William Joseph Adkins m. Nancy Sue Gillum.

I can't remember Victoria Adkins' father, but she and David shared Howard as a great grandfather.

Mary (Molly) Saddler m. John Anderson in either Greenup Kentucky or Scioto County, Ohio, divorced and married Ben Adkins. I don't know Ben's line.

Molly Saddler descends from Samuel Sadler and Nancy Gibson of VA. At least I think she was from VA.

My husband is descended from Lincoln Sparks of Lawrence County, KY and Nancy Sparks. I think their common ancestor is their grandfather. Lincoln had two wives and two very large families. These Sparks come up from NC to KY. There are Boggs, Nickell, Edwards and Salyer in this tree. Aubrey Nickell/Nichol married Anthony Brooks Hackney of Morgan or Fleming County, KY. She was my husband's aunt, his mother's sister.

Hi Joyce,

Thanks, we have many names in common...Gibson, Anderson, Sparks and Hackney, I have to believe they are tied somewhere. My family lived/s in Tazewell/Buchanan, VA; Floyd, Pike, Perry and Pulaski KY; and Orange (and other) NC counties; prior to 1750 they were in Va again.:)

Linda Newman-Jo
03-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi,Clay here, I would like to give you my surnames.
I was born Ohio, but I have lived out west for 30 years now.
Thats a couple of years more than I did in Ohio. It is a big job, trying to figure this out in Arizona.
Maternal
Gilpin, So Oh,
Ivers,So Oh(Irish/Shawnee-Swearingen),
Smalley,So Oh
Bradney,So Oh
Gore,SC,
Gibson,
Waldron,
Hawk, Va.
Holt, NC/So Oh
Bowman/Boldman,So Oh/NC/Va., Northhampton/Surry,
Watts, W Va
Jordan, So Oh

Paternal
Newman, Va./So Oh
Hilterbran So Oh/Pa
Santee So Oh/Va.
Honn/Horn So Oh,Ky./W Va.
Baldwin, So Oh/Va
Grooms So Oh
McCoy So Oh/Ky
Shanks So Oh
Herdman So Oh/Va
Bird/Byrd So Oh/Va
Jones Va
CainVa
See Va.
Van Mertre So Oh
Walling So Oh
Downing So Oh
Woodward
Cornstalk and Young Cornstalk(Eliniscipo)
Linda Juanice Newman-Johnson ~ Clayhummingbird

Linda Newman-Jo
03-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Osiyo, again, I forgot the Waldens, and Walkers on my Maternal side. <:(
Sorry, I will probably have more later, that I have forgotten. Clayhummingbird

Linda Newman-Jo
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Searching for any SANTEE. Please write me on here, or at my e-mail of Clayhummingbird@yahoo.com Clay

tianicwanga
04-01-2007, 03:26 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...Picture006.jpg (http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/TIANICWANG/Picture006.jpg)
this is the pictures of Upper left my grandfather William Henry Cheeks ; upper middle my grandmother Daisy Wright Cheeks ; Upper right corner Daisy's mother my G-grandmother Minnie Gibson; Bottom pitcure left to right Me, my father Theodore Mack Booker and my mother Betty Cheeks Booker
was trying to post my grangparents picture Samuel Booker and Quinnie Pitts but having problems with scanner
will post pictures soon
tia
<!-- / message -->

dovelady
04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Tia, even though I'm not related to your family, I loved looking at the pictures. :) Thank you for sharing. :)

P.S. My granddaughter's nick name is Tia, her real name is Teeyona.

davisforever67
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Hello Everyone, wow it's been almost a year since I've been here. I'm sorry I've waited so long to come back but I gave up my searching for a while. I'm still interested in finding out all I can about any Davis or Thomas from Va. Preferably from the Halifax area. My grandfather was Giles Davis who married Gracie Thomas. Their 2 children were my aunt Ellen Davis Dickerson Dean and my father Robert Jordan (pronounced Jerden) Algie Davis. My father passed on in 1989 as far as I know my aunt is still alive and living in Bullock NC. My father was supposedly named after all of his uncles. I do not know if those men were Davis or Thomas. Any help would be appreciated.

beeleaf
04-13-2007, 02:51 PM
From Virginia (Henry, Patrick, and Floyd County mostly, although the Branches started in Henrico & Chesterfield) and North Carolina (Stokes, Surry, and Rockingham County)

Dad: Branch, Foley(multiple lines), Goard/Goad, Bouldin/Bowling (multiple lines), Collins, Holt, Thomas, Ross, Anderson, Harbour, Cronk, Garth, Nowlin, Turner, Thornhill, Witt...

Mom: Foley (multiple lines), Thomas, Turner, Daniel, Joyce, Canaday, Witt...

Here are some pictures:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558640524ihTEsK?track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/randompictures&track_action=/Owner/ViewActions/FullAlbum

Ed Yancey
04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Beeleaf, the wife of my ancestor Thomas Glasscock was probably named Elizabeth Ross, known as Betsy. She was supposed to have been full blood native american. We know little else about her. Only that after their marriage they lived in the Red Bank district of Halifax County, Va.
Is there a listing of surnames for the Ani-Stohini/Unami anywhere and would it go back in the past any significant distance ? Ed

beeleaf
04-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey Ed,

A fellow named Ross Chappell has written a book on the Ross family in Virginia (Hanover County, etc.). I haven't sprung for it yet, but now that I'm thinking aobut it again, maybe it's time. Hope it's ok to post the link:
http://www.rossbook.com/
There is a chapter on one Elizabeth "Betsy" Ross.

I don't know of a surname list for the Ani-Stohini Unami tribe. I would sure love to find one, though! I just know of Charles Thomas and his wife Misty Dawn. Thomas is one of my surnames, so it stands out to me. But, it was not an uncommon name, of course.

anitabingamon
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Amongst my other surnames, I have:

Gibson side of the family
Gibson = Ky (family older than dirt there), Tn, Va (again, older than dirt), Possibly Northumberland, England/Scotland
They married into:
Bryant/Polley (Watkins, Harris, Baker)
Jeffers/Jeffcoat
Gatliff (Walker, Wilcoxin, Boone, Morgan, Jones)
Finley (Martin), (Doak, Patterson, Jennings, Mackie, Craigie, Smyth)
Roark(e), Garett, Allen, South/Bouth

Logan = Ky, Ireland, Scotland
They married into:
Taylor, Farris, Ward, Eaton(?), Duke (Byrd, Horsmanden), Blakely, Richmont,

Meeks,Lincoln, Wayne, Knox Cos., KY;Amherst, Stafford, York, Henrico, and Prince William, VA
They married into:
Wright (two branches), Calhoun, Peyton/Payton, East, Bussell/Russell, Ellis, Harding, Hawkins, Underwood, Edwards, Hill, Puryor/Pryor

And this is just my Dad's side of the family!!!!!!!!! His Logan/Meeks side of the family is where we are supposedly Blackfoot/Saponi. Dad's Bryant Grandmother is also supposedly half Cherokee. The only proof I know of is some pictures Dad's mother has of her family - personal pictures that look a LOT like the pictures in a book of NA history, Visions of the First Americans By Edward Curtis.

Anita Bingamon, aka "Sparrow"

techteach
04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I went to HS with some Meeks. The story in HS was that their father's family was Indian, so the family would never have anything to do with his family. Come to find out a few years ago, I am related to that family. My ggrandparents moved away from their Indian family too.

Techteach

tonigoins
04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Mother's Side:
Masons and Tuckers from Brunswick County, VA(relocated to Dinwiddie in 1890)

Father's Side:
Morrows and Jacksons in Indianland, South Carolina (Lancaster County)

Faye
05-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Laurie, I also descend from John Charles Cole and Cuzzie Anderson. They were my 5th gr grandparents. I am descended from their son, William Anderson Cole and Biddy Collins. I'm also descended from William and his second wife, Rebecca. And if that isn't enough, I'm also descended from John and Cuzzie's daughter, Luana Cole and William Campbell - they were never married. William and Biddy's daughter, Charlotte married Luana and William's son, Charles, and had my gr grandfather, Wallis Cole, who had my grandfather, Elbert Cole, who had my mother Ollie Cole. William and Rebecca's daughter, Biddy, married George Washington Perkins. They had William Riley Perkins. William Riley Perkins' daughter, Bertha married Frank Barnett and they had my dad, Adam Barnett.

deragland
09-08-2007, 01:31 PM
These are my family names:

Paternal: Ragland, Samples, Arbrogast

Maternal: Goad, Keller, Hall

It seems most of my relatives are from West Virginia

Wachinika
09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello all and welcome new poster, deragland.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
toniggoins and deragland, Do either of you have personal family stories of Indian ID, specific or not, associated with particular family names in WV or Brunswick Co. VA? I ask because I'm trying to run down a Blackfoot family story that may trace to Goldsberrys in Hardy Co. WV and Guilford and Brunswick Cos. VA. A time range would be helpful too. Mine left for Madison and Ross Cos. OH I think 1804-7. I'm not looking for other Goldsberrys necessarily, just wanting to know of other family stories to know of grouping of people with various IDs and migtation patterns. Thank you<O:p</O:p

tonigoins
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
The farthest I have been able to track so far is the civil war. Brunswick County's courthouse was destroyed then. I have been able to track some of my family, (tuckers and masons) back earlier through some census records. They were in Brunswick county until about 1870 when they moved to Dinwiddie County.

Wachinika
09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
tonigoins,
Thank you for the information about the courthouse. Darn I hate war.

Rick Cassidy
09-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Lynellarainhawk
I just veiwing thread on or near front of all posted threads . I noticed the Surname Outten could it also be spelled Outen . If so we might be distant kin . My ggrand/mother's was Mrs. Sallie Outen or Outten .I don't have to much info on this line could you help me ? I think she was borned around S.C. some where

Thanks
Rick Cassidy
(aka Wind/Dancer)

Michelle Small
09-15-2007, 04:42 AM
I would like to know if anyone has any information of Avant/Evans/Lewis
JIM AVANT( NASH COUNTY ) grgrandaddy told to be part Indian from *India!* have 2nd cousins and uncle in INDIA**
ROSA AVANT madien name EVANS/LEWIS(FROM ? IN NC) grgrandmother told to be indian but we were not sure. Just wanted information to share with my family.

RobLandOfIndian
09-21-2007, 11:21 PM
i came acrossed a page with alot of mullins info while i was searching on my cole line and thought it may be usefull for those looking into the mullins line .there are many names and dates and i thought it would be too long to copy and paste
hope this helps
rob

http://groups.msn.com/mullins/melungeonmullins.msnw

Clydene
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a Joseph Santee who married Charlotte Williams in early 1800's in MO. I think we have corresponded previously about other surnames. Joseph Santee died young leaving one dau. who was guardianed to John J. Williams, the father of Charlotte. I have yet to find out what happened to her after she was grown. Can give you further details from the court papers if you like. Clydene

mwheelus
05-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Hello again ya'll! I am looking into my Goss family after hitting brick walls for now with Goins/Nash clan :-) Once again I have found a "Cherokee" woman born in SC abt 1790 with several different names listed for her. Diasis, Diasampi, Rampas and then the possible surname of Dalrymple that I know was seen in SC in those times.

Story i heard goes when she died her husband's family wouldn't allow her to be buried in the family cemetary and sent her to her own kind. As you know that is how rumors get started :-) If anyone can tell me variations, or possible origins of those names I would appreciate any help

BlondeyeLaurie
05-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Laurie, I also descend from John Charles Cole and Cuzzie Anderson. They were my 5th gr grandparents. I am descended from their son, William Anderson Cole and Biddy Collins. I'm also descended from William and his second wife, Rebecca. And if that isn't enough, I'm also descended from John and Cuzzie's daughter, Luana Cole and William Campbell - they were never married. William and Biddy's daughter, Charlotte married Luana and William's son, Charles, and had my gr grandfather, Wallis Cole, who had my grandfather, Elbert Cole, who had my mother Ollie Cole. William and Rebecca's daughter, Biddy, married George Washington Perkins. They had William Riley Perkins. William Riley Perkins' daughter, Bertha married Frank Barnett and they had my dad, Adam Barnett.

Welll hello Faye! It is so wonderful to finally online "meet" you girl! I can't believe I missed this post from you here at Saponitown...cousin Irene is always mentioning your name when we chat...you are the Faye Green that will be coming to the MI Nichols/Cole reunion right? I'm just thrilled to see you stop here and visit....we have just oodles of cousins here also and if you use the search feature you are certain to find LOTS of useful family information. Like I always say to Irene and Bob: our not-so-little-trees are such winding webs...we are likely related to ourselves a dozen times over...LOL It's great to see you...PM me sometime and we can hopefully chat further. Enjoy the site...ask any Q's you may find pressing and welcome aboard! Chat soon....blessings until next~~~~Laurie

beeleaf
05-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Hello again ya'll! I am looking into my Goss family after hitting brick walls for now with Goins/Nash clan :-)

Mwheelus, could you refresh my memory as to the locations of these families? All 3 surnames are familiar to me, from my neck of the woods (Goinstown area). Goins and Nash married us.

mwheelus
05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Mwheelus, could you refresh my memory as to the locations of these families? All 3 surnames are familiar to me, from my neck of the woods (Goinstown area). Goins and Nash married us.

Ok well to be perfectly honest I am not clear on where Goinstown is/was. From the few relatives I may have found that trace back to VA, NC, & SC none of them agree where Goinstown was and if our relatives were there ....that may be because they live in Oklahoma and disagree with each other. Ya'll can give me a better idea I am sure.:)

Now the tricky part, Phillip Goins was father to a Jeremiah Goins that had MANY children and they eventually migrated to Texas then Oklahoma. (Jeremiah has other story connected to my family that isn't relative to this information;) )
Phillip Goins is also father to Michael Goins that he had with Keziah/Kiziah/Kizzy Nash. Phillip was born in either MS or SC abt 1785. He was bonded in marriage to Keziah Nash in 1815 in Natchitoches, LA. Their children were legitimized then after having been born in MS in 1811 and 1813.

Keziah's father was Thomas Nash born in Chowan NC in either 1753/1764 depending on who I talk to. Her mother is possibly Anna Goins who I have no information on or Emily Sarah Slater born in VA abt 1767. Once again there is an argument as to which woman was her mother and if Anna Goins was a Goins from a first marriage or that was her maiden name. Here is a list of Keziah's siblings and their approx birth year:

BORN
Michael Nash abt 1804
Martha Patsy 1787
Fanny 1793
William 1785/1782
Thomas Jr. 1785/1782
Elizabeth 1794
Rebecca "Becky" 1801
Mary Polly Born 6-6-1781 Died 9-14-1855 (pic of her grave)

Goss is my husband's family and the woman I am looking for help on was married to Mathew/Matthew Goss born abt 1790 in Anderson Co, SC died 12/18/1883 in Locust Grove, Henry Co, Georgia. He married the "Cherokee" woman "Diasis Rampas/ Diasampi Dalrymple?" abt 1808 in Pendleton District, SC.
Here is some additional information that I was given about Matthew Goss:

He drew a land allotment from the governor, Henry Middleton, on the second day of November 1812 which comprised 150 acres located on th waters of the Upper Long Branch Creek in the Barnwelr District. This may be in Barnwall, SC.

Date: 8 MAR 1832 Place: applied for 2 draws Gold Lottery Habersham Co., GA Date: 21 JUN 1813 Place: served in Nash's Regiment South Carolina Volunteers Date: 20 JUN 1814 Place: Capt. Andrew Hamilton's Co., SC Militia Place: 1820, 1830 census of Pendleton Dist. SC.

1880 District 567, Henry Co., GA
Mathew Goss, 99, SC, Farmer, SC, SC
Eveline Goss 72, GA, At Home, GA, GA
Wilford M. Goss 28, GA, At Home, GA, GA
Margaret Goss 21, GA, At Home, GA, GA

1870 Henry Co., GA Census
Goss, Matthew, 80, M, Farmer, Property worth 1000, 380, SC
Goss, Eveline, 56, F, Keeping House, SC
Goss, Wilford, 21, M, GA
Goss, Hulda?, 25, F, GA
Goss, James, 15, M, Farmhand, GA
Goss, Margret, 12, F, GA

Sorry to make this so long but I am hoping someone sees a familiar name or place from their own searches.

mwheelus
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM

Ok well to be perfectly honest I am not clear on where Goinstown is/was. From the few relatives I may have found that trace back to VA, NC, & SC none of them agree where Goinstown was and if our relatives were there ....that may be because they live in Oklahoma and disagree with each other. Ya'll can give me a better idea I am sure.:)

Now the tricky part, Phillip Goins was father to a Jeremiah Goins that had MANY children and they eventually migrated to Texas then Oklahoma. (Jeremiah has other story connected to my family that isn't relative to this information;) )
Phillip Goins is also father to Michael Goins that he had with Keziah/Kiziah/Kizzy Nash. Phillip was born in either MS or SC abt 1785. He was bonded in marriage to Keziah Nash in 1815 in Natchitoches, LA. Their children were legitimized then after having been born in MS in 1811 and 1813.

Keziah's father was Thomas Nash born in Chowan NC in either 1753/1764 depending on who I talk to. Her mother is possibly Anna Goins who I have no information on or Emily Sarah Slater born in VA abt 1767. Once again there is an argument as to which woman was her mother and if Anna Goins was a Goins from a first marriage or that was her maiden name. Here is a list of Keziah's siblings and their approx birth year:

BORN
Michael Nash abt 1804
Martha Patsy 1787
Fanny 1793
William 1785/1782
Thomas Jr. 1785/1782
Elizabeth 1794
Rebecca "Becky" 1801
Mary Polly Born 6-6-1781 Died 9-14-1855 (pic of her grave)

Goss is my husband's family and the woman I am looking for help on was married to Mathew/Matthew Goss born abt 1790 in Anderson Co, SC died 12/18/1883 in Locust Grove, Henry Co, Georgia. He married the "Cherokee" woman "Diais/Diasis Rampas/ Diasampi Dalrymple?" abt 1808 in Pendleton District, SC.
Here is some additional information that I was given about Matthew Goss:

He drew a land allotment from the governor, Henry Middleton, on the second day of November 1812 which comprised 150 acres located on th waters of the Upper Long Branch Creek in the Barnwelr District. This may be in Barnwall, SC.

Date: 8 MAR 1832 Place: applied for 2 draws Gold Lottery Habersham Co., GA Date: 21 JUN 1813 Place: served in Nash's Regiment South Carolina Volunteers Date: 20 JUN 1814 Place: Capt. Andrew Hamilton's Co., SC Militia Place: 1820, 1830 census of Pendleton Dist. SC.

1880 District 567, Henry Co., GA
Mathew Goss, 99, SC, Farmer, SC, SC
Eveline Goss 72, GA, At Home, GA, GA
Wilford M. Goss 28, GA, At Home, GA, GA
Margaret Goss 21, GA, At Home, GA, GA

1870 Henry Co., GA Census
Goss, Matthew, 80, M, Farmer, Property worth 1000, 380, SC
Goss, Eveline, 56, F, Keeping House, SC
Goss, Wilford, 21, M, GA
Goss, Hulda?, 25, F, GA
Goss, James, 15, M, Farmhand, GA
Goss, Margret, 12, F, GA

Sorry to make this so long but I am hoping someone sees a familiar name or place from their own searches.

Monica

beeleaf
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok well to be perfectly honest I am not clear on where Goinstown is/was.

Hi. Sorry 'bout that. Seemed easier to just use Goinstown at the time. The actual place was in what is now Rockingham County, NC (see the map in the link below). But many people include in the Goinstown area the counties of Stokes and I think part of Surry in NC, as well as the VA counties of Henry (which is directly adjacent to Rockingham) and Patrick. There is a map somewhere of all those counties...may be missing one or two, but that is the gist of it. If your peeps came from Pittsylvania, Floyd, Franklin, or even Grayson Co, VA they were not far from there. Or, in NC, Guilford, Alamance, Davidson are near. Part of Orange is somewhat close, but if you go further back, it was very close. The Goins and Nashes I know are from Henry and Patrick CO. Hope that is not too much info.

Where Goinstown was, and the graves still are:
http://northcarolina.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,3,fid,1953021,n,Goinstown.cfm

mwheelus
05-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Ok Beeleaf, where you are telling me and the response I got in a PM is about where I had thought it was. I am still hunting for that elusive, maybe his name was.... father to my Phillip Goins. I have found in all the research on the web, and in a few things sent to me that it was Stephen Goins. I also have heard that is not his name but a name made up for convenience, that couldn't be thoroughly researched, when my line of Goins were trying to be recognized by the Choctaw Nation. I have found that Goins and Nash families in my background have intermarried over and over again. Sisters marry brothers, then those children marry 1st, 2nd cousins, men marry their 2nd and 3rd wives from opposite family and have more children. We were a tight knit group to say the least.

beeleaf
05-04-2008, 02:01 PM
...father to my Phillip Goins. I have found in all the research on the web, and in a few things sent to me that it was Stephen Goins.

Oh, ok. I am sort of related to a Stephen Goins from Patrick County, VA. May or may not be the one you are looking for. (Could be the wrong generation) Best I can tell, there were 2 Stephen Goins in PC. One of them was referred to as a FPC. One of them was the father of my ggggrandpop's first wife. Am not sure if they are the same Stephen or not. All I know is that one child was named Milly. Maybe there is more in the archives.

mwheelus
05-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Well my Stephen was from VA so that right there is a possibility for me. Thanks a bunch for your help Beeleaf!

I have a question for the people that sift through all the Melungeon/Redbone information. (It is still really confusing to me)
Is it possible that the term "Ramp" could be the origin for the "Rampas" in the "Cherokee" woman's name that married into the Goss family? Diais/Diasis Rampas/ Diasampi Dalrymple
Her mother in law was from VA and the descendants have heard her referred to as Diais Rampas or Diasampi Dalrymple. If she was born abt 1790 does she pre-date the use of the term Ramp for mixed bloods?

blackindiangirl
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Monica....would your husband's name happen to be Jeff? I met him on the Melungeon site and we are cousins...but he's not from Texas. Or Jeff may be kin to your husband.

starr
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
:) Hi, I may have put my info in the wrong spot so I'll do it again.
Father's side
Charley Cornwell Married to Clarinda Gipson (GRGRGrandparents)
Boyd Cornwell Married to America M Collins (GrGrandparents)
William O.Cornwell Married to Mabel M. KIdder (grandparents)
Theodore G Cornwell Married To Cheryl Defibaugh (Parents)
I Have Magoffin County, Ky
Mason
Pike
Breathitt all in Ky
Lawerence County Oh
Marion
Hardin
Highland, Hillsboro .
Ironton
And a reference to Big Sandy,
Clarinda died 7-4-1916
Grant (one of her son's) Died 12-10-1912 and was buried in Collins "Graveyard"
Any help past Charley and Clarinda Would be appreciated And If ANYONE knows about America PLEASE let me know, I have also heard The Name Mercky used with her.
Thanks- The Man in The Picture Is My Father - All this is For His Memory

Steve-o
08-02-2008, 05:47 AM
From what I have just read on Rootswebdotcom, concerning what they have listed as being Charley Cornwell's ancestors, the chances of the Gibson line being Cherokee in Virginia in the 1700's is slim to nil. More "nil" than "slim". Only one result on that site however, but a start if you haven't looked there...goes back a few generations, but would need verified.

"Big Sandy" and "Collins Graveyard" are pretty vague as well. A county would be beneficial in that regard.

Boyd Cornwell sounds like a name made up of two surnames. There "may" be a Boyd in his ancestry, which is something to consider and research.

starr
08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Steve-O,
I'll try that one out, But we as a family have always said that it come's from the womens side noone ever said cherokee but "Were so confused we have to fight ourselves to get out of bed in the morning" .
I do know Clarinda's Father was Ira Gipson and man that is a Big Family, her Mother was Nancy Nicols . I am confused trying to figure out who
Ira's Father is.
Thanks I'll try that

Lena
08-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I am still searching Bass in NC, Jefferies, Taborn, Vaughn and Hawkins.

Clydene
08-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Beeleaf:

Don't know how I missed your pics of your handsome family. See my Gores at:

http://clydenemogores.tribalpages.com

No Bllings in that line - just FYI.

I don't have any pics of my Bolling Fam. in Henry Co. so I was really interested in seeing yours.

I am still of the mind that your Boldens/Bolings Fam. and my Bolling in Henry Co., must be related somehow.

Kosmicdancer77
10-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi All,

Here are a few (LOL!) of my family names;

Father's side: Chester/Delaware Co., PA/Chenango,NY/Providence, RI/Dartmouth, MA/England/Ireland/Scotland/Finland/Sweden:

Baldwin, Wilbur, Jefferis, Smith, Morton, Mortensen, Cahoon, Plummer, Ring, Worrall, Burlingame, McLean, Clark, Scott, Maddock, Maris, Edwards, Moore, Tiffany, Fiske, Gorton, Johnson, Hannum, Hadley, Calvert, Chalfant, Brown, Chase, Arnold, Parmenter, Head, Wheaton, Bowen, Briggs, Cornell, Holmes, etc.

Mother's side: Prince Edward/Appomattox/Henrico/Charlotte/Franklin Co. VA/Scotland/Germany/France/England:

Fore, Faure, Ramsey, Divers, Brown, Harris, Coleman, Baldwin, Burks, Davis, Diuguid, Doss, Moss, Hodges, Plybon, Temple, Greer, Hughes, Smith, Day, Hurt, Hazelwood, Gaudwin, Agee, Chastain, Renault, Tibault, Moore, Wimbish, Hunt, Arnold, Fitch, Locker, Horsley, Peartree, Christian, Bartlett, Henry, Clopton, Taylor, Booth, etc.

Ed Yancey
10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Saw your listing and the names. We have Smith probably from Halifax Co Va and also Fitts, have seen it as Fits, Fite, and Fitch. Don't know if there would be any connection with your family. Ed

Kosmicdancer77
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Ed, there may be a connection. Here's my info:

Name: Mary Ann Fitch
Born: 1716 in Baltimore, Maryland
Died: 1786
Father: William Fitch (1680-1787 Queen Ann Parish, Prince Georges County, Maryland)
Mother: Sarah (1686 Baltimore, Maryland)
Spouse: William Greer (1710-1785 Baltimore, Maryland)

Name: Lucy Smith
Born: 1769 in Franklin County, Virginia
Father: John Smith (about 1740 in Halifax, Virginia, died 1800 in Franklin County, Virginia)
Mother: Frances Burke/Burks (about 1742, died 1795 in Franklin County, Virginia)
Spouse: Christopher Divers (1767 in Joppa, Harford County, Maryland, died 1846 in Warrensburg, Johnson County, Missouri)

All My Best,
Jo

Ed Yancey
10-19-2009, 08:26 PM
We have a Frances Ann Smith married to John Fitts. She is also referred to as Fanny in some documents. They were parents of my ggrandfather James Edward Fitts who married Amelia Ann Elliott. We know Amelia was of Native lineage through her mother and grandmother. James Edward was also of Native heritage. His grandparents were John and Mary Fitts, she being born about 1789 and her husband was much older than her. This John Fitts may have lived in or near the High Plains Saponi on the Person side in NC and then moved into Halifax Co in Va. I think the Smiths were in Halifax Co. I have found a John Fitts who appears to have had significant ties with the High Plains Saponi and a Richard Fitts also in the same area and then migrating with other known Saponi families into NC and then on west. I still have many I's to dot and T's to cross but this is more than chance. Many family members of my mother's generation knew and visited "Indian" relatives in that area well after 1900 and the family traditions and knowledge bears well with much of the families physical traits. Ed

Linda
10-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Ed, nice to see you around.

And Welcome Kosmic. If you're poking around for possible Saponi (or other tribal) ties, you might want to pursue these names first:

Jefferis
Smith
Scott
Edwards
Moore
Brown
Head
Holmes
Ramsey
Harris
Hughes
Day
Taylor

I've bolded those where there seems to be some specific documentation. The rest have just come upk perhaps reported frequently by families suspecting their have Saponi origins. Try searching here on them and see what comes up.

Happy hunting

Kosmicdancer77
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome Linda and for listing the names. Can't wait to start searching through the posts :-)

Ed, it sounds as though you have a very interesting background! It's possible we have a Smith connection as both our families seem to have been in Halifax. Do you have any idea who Frances Ann's father was? The father of my John Smith (born 1750 in Halifax County, VA) was William born about 1720 in Halifax also. It's through John's wife Frances Burke/Burks that I'm able to make the connection to Chief Powhatan. The story of how my mom was descended from a great Indian Chief (Powhatan) and a full blooded Indian Princess (his daughter Cleopatra, sister of Pocahontas) has been passed down for many generations in my family. Until I started doing genealogical research I assumed that the story was mostly a myth. It does appear however that there's pretty good evidence to support the family legend :-)
All My Best,
Jo

Kosmicdancer77
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Oops...I need to make a slight correction...John Smith's father was Samuel (born about 1708 in Middlesex, VA) NOT William as I mistakenly posted! Samuel was married to Grissel/Griselda Locker (born 1715 in Prince Georges Co., Maryland).

All My Best,
Kosmicdancer77

Bev Stayart
11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought I would post about one of my family surnames I have not mentioned until now. That is the surname Colbert, which I believe is Irish. My great-great-grandmother, Isabella Colbert, married Thomas Fitzgerald. Their son, Thomas Fitzgerald, Jr., was born in New York, and was reared in Ontario, Canada. As a young man, Thomas Fitzgerald, Jr. migrated to Wisconsin and enlisted in the Union Army. He fought in several Civil War battles, including Shiloh, Tennessee, and Corinth, Mississippi. He was wounded twice but survived the war. After the war, he returned to the Midwest and married my great-grandmother, Hester Ann Rogers, in Fort Madison, Iowa. I have another ancestor, Dean Rogers, Hester's father, who was also brought up in Canada. He was born in Stanstead, Quebec, Canada. Migration both ways between Canada and the United States was very common. I believe Dean's parents may have been born in Vermont and then migrated to Canada, where their son Dean was born. Dean then left Canada as a young man and migrated to Iowa, where he married my great-great-grandmother, Martha Stephens Rogers.

Keli1
11-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Hello, my ggggrandfather was Lawson Goens/Goins born in Virginia, not sure where, in 1807, he was married to Sarah Hart who also was born in Virginia in 1810 and died in 1886. They were found in the 1850 and 1860 Fed. Population Census for Jefferson County, Virginia, now Jefferson County West Virginia. They were considered "free persons of color and mulattoes" as well. Lawson Goens died 12 Jul 1874, he served as a boatman/ferryman for Shannondale Springs Resort for 30 years. Has anyone researched this area for Saponi links? I do not know of any other location for Lawson Goens. Thanks

Tonio
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I have a celia Thompson that lived in the upper portion of va in warren county that lived there durin 1850. thats between front royal and wv. she was listed as living with thiss family of mulattoes and fpc called the allen family. she is of blackfoot ancestry. wrater she was saponi or manahoac is yet to be figured out.

Nochipra
07-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Hi,

The surnames that I have researched so far on my mom's side of the family are:

Smoot (info all the way back to William Smute who landed at Old Point Comfort, Va in the 1634. There is also a book called The Smoots of Maryland and Virginia by Harry Wright Newman on that part of my family.)

Morgan (my grandfather's mother's line) Traced all the way back to Abraham Morgan and Elizabeth Ealy from Wales. Also said to have landed in Old Point Comfort, VA before 1775.

Damron (my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother) traced back to Lazarus Damron and wife Elizabeth Smith (he was born around the late 1600's)

Marcum (on both sides of my grandmother's grandparents) traced back to Josiah Marcum (born approx 1759) and wife Edie McDonald.

Moore (my grandmothers maternal grandparents) I've only been able to go back to my grandmother's grandfather Henry Clinton Moore and wife Rhoda J. Tompkins Moore. Henry's father may have been John Moore?

Tompkins - I've only been able to go back to Rhoda J. Tompkins father William Tandy Tompkins and Elizabeth Laney (spelling?)

If any of these surnames seem familiar to your family line, I'd love to hear from you. I'd also like to know if these names were common among the Native American people so I can start looking into any possible NA blood in these lines. All lived either Virginia or Kentucky in the earlier years and later on in West Virginia and North Carolina area. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Nora

Rick Cassidy
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Family Surnames

My Moms side is, Secrest, Johnson, Dees, and Coe this is all I have for now.

My Dads side consists of; Dees, Outten, and Bone are just a few.

Derek
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi
DreamingHawk, I recently learned that the Clayton surname is related to Mom's side of the family where are your Clayton's from?

Derek
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
HI
Quest for facts, do you have any names from the bullock side of your family and are they from North Carolina?

Saponiweaver
07-31-2010, 08:04 PM
help me with these surnames:EVANS, RICHARDSON ,DEMPSEY ,BASS ,POPE - BOONE, ANSTEAD, HAITHCOCK , SILVER , LYNCH , SCOTT, JONES, Collins Bunch all of North Carolina Beside Bass

ljcarrington
07-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Nativelady,

I read your post and have found the name of maiden name of my grandmother Coleman. Her family was born in Clovertown, Halifax Co. during the 1800's and earlier and later on. I am wondering if there is a relationshiip between your family and mine.

ljcarrington

Saponiweaver
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
what was your grandmother name

ljcarrington
07-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Saponiweaver,
My grandmother's name was Luella C.Coleman DOB 1896 born in Clovertown, Halifax Co.
She is the daughter of Wyatt Dabney Coleman DOB 1883 also born in place as his daughter.
His father's name is William Wyatt Coleman DOB 1825 and his mother's name was Caladonia Dabney DOB 1845, also born in Clovertown, Halifax Co. My grandmother also had a sister named Caladonia DOB 1905 by his second wife Mary Thomas also born in the same town.
I am thankful for any and all info concerning the Coleman family.
ljCarrington

Saponiweaver
08-01-2010, 02:19 PM
COLEMAN, Alice Rebecca (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I4319) b: 1857 in Halifax County,North Carolina d: BEF 1883 in Halifax County,North Carolina
COLEMAN, Ann M. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13193) b: 7 Oct 1872 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 22 Jun 1912 in Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Anna (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I4299) b: 1831 in Halifax County,North Carolina d: AFT 1880 in Halifax County,North Carolina
COLEMAN, Bettie L. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I8834) b: 1868 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Daniel (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13130) b: 1752 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia d: 1846/1850 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Daniel (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13137) b: 1837 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: ABT 1890 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Dora (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I4965) b: Oct 1853 in Halifax County,North Carolina d: AFT 1930
COLEMAN, Eleanor V. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13214)
COLEMAN, Elizabeth Jane (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13141) b: 1846 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Frances (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I9078) b: Nov 1859 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 1860/1870 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Hawes Netherland (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I12795) b: 22 Aug 1788 in Albemarle County, Virginia d: 23 Sep 1867 in Nelson County, Virginia
COLEMAN, Henry (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13131) b: 1818 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: BEF 1900 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, I (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13199) b: 1860 in Warren County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Irvin (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13135) b: 1832 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, J. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13198) b: 1858 in Warren County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, James (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13134) b: 1825 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: Sep 1868 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, James (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13192) b: 1865 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, James Albert (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13211) b: 24 Sep 1913 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 22 Apr 1998 in Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, John (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13133) b: 1829 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: ABT 1865 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, John D. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13213)
COLEMAN, John David (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13145) b: 1866 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, John Wesley (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13195) b: 22 Jan 1877 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 14 May 1920 in Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, John William (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13143) b: 1855 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 31 Mar 1928 in Brinkleyville Township,Halifax County,North Carolina
COLEMAN, Margiana (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I7322) b: 1865 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 1910/1920 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Martha Ann (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13138) b: in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Mary (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I7206) b: 1856 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 1888/1897 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Mary E. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13194) b: 1869 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Nancy (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I9128) b: 1834 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 1860/1870 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Rebecca (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13200) b: 1880 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 20 May 1935 in Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Rosanna Lucinda (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I4637) b: 1839 in Halifax County,North Carolina d: AFT 1900
COLEMAN, Sallie Ann (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13140) b: 1844 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Sallie Royal (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I12839) b: 1859 in Nelson County, Virginia d: BEF 1900 in Nelson County, Virginia
COLEMAN, Sarah (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13197) b: 1857 in Warren County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Savannah Mary (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13136) b: 1833 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, Susan (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13142) b: 1849 in Halifax County, North Carolina d: 28 Apr 1929 in Brinkleyville Township,Halifax County,North Carolina

Does any of these coleman you know
COLEMAN, Wiat (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13132) b: 1824 in Halifax County, North Carolina
COLEMAN, William D. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dwilliams-1&id=I13144) b: 1863 in Halifax County, North Carolina

ljcarrington
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Saponiweaver,
I am amazed at all the wonderful information n you were kind enought to send to me. The last two names
are my family members. I believe that the spelling of Wiat is actually spelled as Wyatt. Besides adding you as my source for the information on my family tree I was wondering if you would like to view my family tree, it's private with a password and I am also requesting that you sign the guess book. It you have another email that I could send the information I would glady send it.
Thank You so much for all of your help.
Linda Wilkes Carrington

Linda
08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Are those names from the census, Saponiweaver? Are they all the Coleman's in Halifax/Warren counties?

Saponiweaver
08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
yes ljcarrington and linda yes

ljcarrington
08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Please send me your private email
All email from comes my direct email

Saponiweaver
08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
bassoonboy12@yahoo

ChiefMtnBearr
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
You mentioned the Magruders from amongst them when they arrived in Pa. were there any of the Goe, Simpson,Smothers, or Truman family amongst them. I appreciate the help

ljcarrington
08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Spaniweaver
I am wondering if you have the chance to visit
my tree and if you did you forgot to sign
the guess book
Please Sign The Guess. Book
Linda Wilkes Carrington

ChiefMtnBearr
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
no I am new and haven't seen your tree or guest book. Please tell how to get there?

Saponiweaver
08-12-2010, 02:52 PM
ljcarrington where is your family tree

ljcarrington
08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
no I am new and haven't seen your tree or guest book. Please tell how to get there?

I am so sorry butmy message was meant for someone else.

ljcarrington

Cheryl30523
08-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Mother's side: Sosebee, Allen, Goss, Stover, Whitley - the Goss line is where Diaisampi Rampas comes in. I have been a little bummed out that nobody has recognized her name in reference to the Saponi tribe.

ChiefMtnBearr
08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Its alright

ChiefMtnBearr
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
My Name is David Truman. My family on my fathers side is Truman, Goe, Smothers, Simpson, and Abel. Looking for kin so I can get to know my family better &my children won't be in the dark as I have an know where they come from and why they feel like they feel

ljcarrington
08-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi Nativelady

I am also seeking information on the Coleman family from Halifax Co. other names are the Burns, Wood
Spraggins,Shepperson and Wilson. I am hoping to not only find information on my ancetors but find relatives that are among the living.

ChiefMtnBearr
08-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Dear ljcarrington
you have the wrong person again. The last I checked yes I am Native but it is an biological impossability that I am a lady. Sorry all old buck here...lol;);)

ChiefBearr

pcathb
08-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi, names on my mother's side are: Caywood, Courtney, Moore, Veach, Thompson, Martin, Davis, Tomlinson, Mendenhall, Shrader, Kimble/Kimbler, Cox, Mostellar, Smallwood, Berry, Rickabaugh, Griffith, Haley to name a few.

My father's side: Christian, Ford/Faure, Chastain, Bondurant, Leake, Batman/Bateman, Lewellyn, Vernon, Powers, Austin, Lemmon/Lemon, Reed, McCartney, Baylor, Woodson, Tucker, Winston, Mask, Ferris, Larcome, Browne, Hambleton, Hickman, Isbell, Ketchum, Tinsley, Chisholm, Cooke, Webber, Eastham, Thacker, Conway, Eltonhead, Dabney.
I will be happy to share what information I have on these families.

Kathleen

I see you are researching McCartney & Thacker, which ones.

littleone
09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Mothers family names : Blankenship (Mary, Her father , Presley J, his father Spencer , His father William, his father Isham)

or

Clay (Jordon,Jordan - born in KY around 1839)

lycoperdon
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
i am looking for my roots. My grandfather was roy c asbury he said he was part indian from tazewell va. he was in the army. his mother was lydia asbury who want married when he was born. she married a man named joseph hartsock after roy was three but he lived with his uncle in tazewell. roys father is a mystery. his herritage is as well. anyone out there who might know something please let us know .. thank you

lycoperdon
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
mdsmokedancer
I am looking for a asbury from VA> my family line is asbury. Lydia asbury daughter of george washington asbury. Is there a possiblity we are related. They are tazwell natives in the 1890s
My grandfather was born to lydia but we have no info on his father. he was Roy columbus asbury. he lived with a uncle there in VA that was said to be native american

Clydene
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
My Risners lived in Warren Co., TN on Hickory Creek. There was a large family of Smoots living around them - they all attended Church together in the early 1800's until the CW. FYI Clydene

lycoperdon
09-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I am looking for information on a Roy C Asbury. he was born 1895 in Tazwell to a Lydia Asbury. Father Unknown yet supost to be cherrokee possibly Blackfoot from the Tazewell area. His VA records say he lived with cherrokee relitives from age two when his father died in a minning accident to the time he joined the army in ww1. He was in company A the 8th machine gun batlion 3 divison , Known as the pathfinders. possibly special ops. i cant belive a decorated hero who suposly was indian has no records. Please anyone who might know or have family who knows this man contact me.. Roy died in a veterans hospital in 1981. he spent most of his life in Washington dc. he had family brothers who lived in tazwell va in the cherrokee house holds.

Clydene
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I find the name Roy Ashbury associated with the state of WV. One Obit for Bonnie Ashbury in the Misc. Kanahaw Co., West Virginia Obits has wife Bonnie Ashbury married to surviving husband, Roy C. Ashbury. This does not mean they lived in WV - maybe she was from there and her obit in the newspaper there. There is also a listing for a Roy Ashbury on Ancestry for WW11 Veterans. Clydene

lycoperdon
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
that isnt him he was a ww1 vet and died in 1981... thing is no one seems to be able to know who this roy asbury is. his records seems to be wiped out ... We have Veteran records stating he was born in TAzwell and grew up there. his Army records are wiped out his family records are also gone so i am putting things out on line to see if some one knows him.. his mother was lydia.. she married a hardsock and moved to ny. he married a woman doris bruce but divorced her later on. he lived according to his va records with the cherrokee and some black family in tazwell. thank you so much for your help ...

Searching Woman
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
SURNAMES:

Father's side: Chandler - Sussex County, DE from abt.1810. VA prior to that.
Johnson - Sussex County, DE and quite possibly Nanticoke
Hall - Worcester County, MD - not known if Native

Currently searching out the Chandler line. Not from the Eastern Shore of Virginia, nor apparantly from the Tidewater. I'm thinking south/west VA.

Teresa

ljcarrington
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi Mr. Collins
My grandmother, Luella C.Coleman 1896 was born in Clovertown, in Halifax. Her father's name was
Wyatt Coleman, 1883 also born in Clovertown. I have reseached the Coleman family back to Wyatt's father
John Coleman. My reseach has my coleman family all being born in Clovertown, Halifax. I am wondering if
there is relationship between my Coleman family and your Coleman family. Luella's father also Mary Thomas also from Clovertown, however, she was not the mother of my grandmother. It seems that my grandmother's mother was deceased while my grandmother was little.

Linda Wilkes Carrington

sunflower
10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON THE NAME

THOMAS BRANCH BORN 3/2/1879.WAS KNOW IN WARRENTON COUNTY AS BIG RED. WIFES NAME WAS ADELETHEY HAD 3 CHILDREN ALL BORN IN WARRENTON:

GIDEON BRANCH BIRTH UNKNOWN

ROSA LEE BRANCH BRON 8/29/1910

BETTY (NEE) BRANCH BORN 6/25/1906. ALL IN WARRENTON.

i AM TOLD THE SPELLING OF BRANCH MY HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. THEY ARE NATIVE AMER. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE HELPFUL. THANK YOU

Lynneda
10-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I have Ritchey's from xenia.....xenia is in Greene county. I Robert Richey, Mary Richey 1769,Robert Scott and a whole line of double Scott's. The problem in Greene co with my family is that they changed the spelling of their names along with birth dates anywhere the native or aa lines connected. I have Robison, Steele, Ritchey, Richey, Scott,Smoyer, Herron, Huston,Hawkins, Hunt, Cook, Cooper,Wallace,Webb Collins,Cramer,Bennett,Bevis,Brown,Johnson,Rodgers ,Taylor,Young,Williamson,Crull,Tice, Schenk,Aertzen,Kovenhaven,Voorhis,Monfort Mother's are buried and changed right around the time of the trail of tears. Beard,Hutson,Oldshoe,Tucker,House,Rowe,Beall,Beal, Spencer,Bell,MicKey,Shannon,McElwain
Many came up from North & S.Carolina with the quakers to Preble Ohio. My ggrandfather Benjamin Williamson has a birth date of 1829. His mother was Eliza Robison....she has no family....he doesn't match any of the records or census of that date in Greene county. I suspect he was indian & his name was changed. Many of the list here have different spellings & birth dates.

VickyLynn
10-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Greetings, I recently joined. My names are, Collins, Cole, Fletcher, Castle, Wadkins/Watkins, Fraley, Salyer, Higgins, Gibson, and Anderson. My great grandfather on my fathers side was George Fletcher. My great grandmother was Stairevealey Cole.

yellowquill
10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey Kosmicdancer,
Do you know if your Cornell line is Blackfoot?

Nannanae
11-21-2010, 11:41 AM
sorry Vance you asked so many questions I knew but could not give you some kind of proof.. as family tales aren't considered proof by anyone it seems.. so vance here is your proof!

well you can varify Ridge party went down the Ohio.
check moravian records PA/OH 1837? or maybe 36 can't remember
they noted waiting for the ridge party who was late in arriving.. and the mission was worried about the largbe party that was late or missing.. !
I know why they were late... Shooeboots sister , probably his twin sister died on the way there . the ridge party floated down the ohio to IT with goods for their houses. then met with murder in IT and floated back up the ohio to the Moravians, and some settled around there and others moved around alot as there was no place for them .. but they were not welcome in IT so it took a few generations at least before any went back there ,,usually ended up in TX or AR or MO.! you can varify! and ross stole those lands too
you can verify it yourself!
I do not have time to go to Ohio to varify it myself, I am after bigger fish..

these same are the ones related to Shoeboots and his sisters offspring and all the ridge relations.. and those who claim "indian princesses " are most likely my closest relations as in anyones book Ollie and Nancy moytoy would be considered as such in any other place in the world .. besides here now .
not only that these tales persisted because they were all owed money for farms from GA and in IT reserves , stole by both the cherokee nation (ross)and the US government!
you can varify it yourself! and most old cherokee were discussed at even this subject and very angry about it all.

Annette King
11-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Sharing my family names...Lambert, Christy or Christie, Waters, Feathers, Jones, Ellet or Elliot, Cullin or Cullom.
All from western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee. All of these branches are from my paternal grandmothers side and are thought to be the native heritage that is in our family. I am still trying to trace down information so I might be able to add names later.

camfair
12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,

These are the names from my maternal grandmother's maid name of Corn. The furthest I could get was to

John Adams CORN (not sure if right middle name, though) - b: abt 1726 in Albermarle Co., VA he died: 14 Oct 1843, Hendersonville, NC his wife: Mary or (Molley/Mollie) - b: 1730 - Henry Co., VA, d: abt 1770 (unknown where).

John Peter CORN (Rev War Vet) - b: 15 Mar 1752, Albermarle Co., VA, died: Died: 14 Oct 1843 ? not sure if both his dad and himself died same time - if anyone might know for sure or not, please let me know, his wife: Hannah Elizabeth PARR - b: 14 jun 1764, Hendersonville, NC- d: 16 Mar 1853 Henderson, NC (is there a possibility of NA on that side, I don't know for sure). I personally think PARR surname is an English name. Hannah's mother's name I have listed only as "Miriam" and no last name) John and Hannah had 15 children, well that is how many I have listed. I came from their son;

Jesse CORN - b: 27 jul 1796, Ashville, Buncombe Co., NC - d: 22 apr 1875 in GA; his wife is Sarah SMITH, b: 1799 - Henderson Co., NC, d: after 1880 in GA. They too had 15 children. I come from;

Solomon Smith CORN - b: 5 Dec 1828 in Henderson, NC, d: 23 Sep 1895 - Talhequah, Cherokee Co., OK; his wife is: Lydia BERRONG - b: 23 Jul 1836, Towns Co., GA; d: 1 jan 1924 Tahlequah, Cherokee Co., OK. They had 10 children and I came from;

Columbus Franklin (Frank) CORN - b: 18 jun 1855 - Hiawassee, Union Co., GA, d: 3 Jul 1934 - Thomas, Custer Co., OK; his wife: Camila Jane LITTLE - b: 18 May 1850 - Union Co., GA, d: 7 Jul 1920, Thomas, Custer Co., OK. They had 8 children and I come from;

David Lorenz(o) CORN - b: 24 May 1876 - Hiawassee, Union Co., GA; d: 19 mar 1939 - Thomas, Custer Co., GA; his wife: Ola Mable MCCRACKEN (although I recently found out she was adopted by her stepdad Walter MILSTEAD) she was b: 25 Mar 1884 - Latham, Butler Co., KS; d: 18 Jul 1967 - Thomas, Custer Co., OK.....as far as I know for now, she is as Irish as can be....I met her only once when I was about 6 or 7...I don't think she has NA...I had my mtDNA done and found out she has Saami tribe of northern Scandanavia countries....mostly European though. Her daughter is my grandmother;

Ethel Mae (CORN) Jones - b: 18 Jul 1903, Thomas Custer Co., OK, d: 16 apr 1997 - Boise, Ada Co., ID; her husband is: Willie Luther JONES - b: 18 jan 1900 - Putnam, Dewey Co, OK; d: 4 Jan 1972, Boise, Ada Co., ID. I had thought, surmised that my grandpa JONES might have had NA blood, but, so far, I haven't been able to prove it or not.....They had 4 children. My mom is their 3rd child;

Beverly Jean (JONES) MCNEIL she is still alive and well in a nursing home.

Grandma Jones is the one who had told us of our NA roots and until now, I had given up on finding out for sure or not. If any of the above names sound familiar, feel free to let me know....perhaps you might have information I don't have or don't know about.

Thanks,

Melody

Stormhawk55
12-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi, everyone,

I will post the family surnames I have to date.

My paternal grandfather's line: direct line is Shelton, Smith, Sharp and Freeman. Some of these have been traced to Tennessee and Virginia.

My paternal Grandmother's line: direct line is Miller, and Gillespie. Miller has been traced to Pennsylvania.

My maternal grandfather's line: Jones. This is my most challenging research to date, it is currently limited to my grandfather. He was supposed to have been born in Texas.

My maternal grandmothers line: direct line is Homan, Fieandt, Burnett, Steele, Wear or Weir, Williams, Burns, Cordry, Thomas, Stephens, Kirkpatrick, Garton, Carson, Ewing and Alexander. These have been traced to Tennessee, Kentucky,Virginia and South Carolina.

More to come, I hope.

camfair
12-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Hi everyone,

My maternal grandfather is Willie Luther JONES his father is Luther JONES who was born in: Springtown, Wise County, Texas around the 1860's....Luther JONES father is, Andrew Lawson JONES who was born around 1805, (as far as we know from census records) he was born somewhere in Tennessee. We have absolutely no idea what his father's name is, etc....I have been told by cousins that the JONES married into the NA communities....but I haven't been able to verify it or not....so far, it is just a family legend, so to speak. If anyone might recognize names, etc....please let me know. Thank you.

Melody

ljcarrington
01-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi Everyone,
Happy New Years !!
I am adding new surnames to my father's side of the family:
I am now researching Hawks, Spencer, Hudson, Holloway,
Spragins and or Spraggins,Roach, Callahan, Hallion, Venable,
Jeffries, Watkins, Binford, Lunn and or Funn, Costell and Crawley .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LjCarrington

WayaGawonii
01-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Osiyo, I am WayaGawonii and know of my Cherokee and Irish heritage but have heard yesterday that some distant Haliwa~Saponi was in my lineage.
I was born late in my mother & fathers lives and I don't know as much as I would like due to no one else being alive to help.
The maiden name of my Great Grandmother was Massey...is there anyone here who has any knowldeg of this last name within the Haliwa~Saponi tribe?
Walk in Beauty,
WayaGawonii

Nannanae
01-03-2011, 02:38 PM
well I do not know if this is the same family as mine but my ancestors surname was pronounced like massey

but it was spelled like MACE. and Missey .

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=missee&id=I6439

some place up my line of Mace/missey/massey was Pohattan and Saponi.
AT Rootsweb which pedigree is right I do not know as my great grandma mentioned both massy and parks are surnames I am somehow related too someplace some how .. so I am at a total lose as to which of the many Nancy Hopkin's lineage are the right one. I really don't know for sure ... if I got the story right , all I do remember for sure is a little Pohattan and a lot of Saponi and some French blood , well someone spoke french anyway ...but up that line of Nancy Hopkins someplace is a sister of Pocohantas, don't know where she is connected in Nancy's line though . it maybe direct.
if you find yourself at some Pohattan up there someplace , I guess don't be too surprised.

I don't know if the alliterate spellings will get you any leads , but most of our folks
didn't' know how to write back then so don't follow just one spelling or heck even just one name sometimes, as especially the later ones change their names a lot as they assimilate sometimes ..... , sorry it isn't' more help.
I do not know if it is the same as yours or not .
here is my line.
David Collins 1850 and Nancy Hopkins.

WayaGawonii
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Thank you so very much Nannanae! I have checked it out. On my maternal side is Rogers and Weaver and on parternal side is Price, Dozier and Massey. I know what you ean about the surnames, it gets confusing when all I have to go by way up are Native names.
Just responding has helped me feel more "connected".
Thank you

WayaGawonii
01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I have now, in some old papers that did not burn up when the old farmhouse burned down when I was 13, a name of an Native ancestor, her name was Little Standing Deer. Without paying a fortune, I only found her name once and then had to pay $$ to see more. From what I have access to my Massey great grandmother was descended from her. This is somewhat confusing but I won't give up. Knowing of my Cherokee heritage for so long, I truly want to find is Standing Deer was Saponi. Thank you all so much.
Am honored to be here,
Walk in Beauty,
WayaGawonii

WayaGawonii
01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Little Standing Deer was Mother to Andrew Standing Deer from NC., my great great mother was Indiana Massey (descendent from them) and married John Rogers in NC.
My Grandmother was M. Dozier and married G. Price.
Thank you again,
Waya Gawonii

Nannanae
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
well because of your Inquiry I went back to check boards following the massey/Mace/ Missey line back and checking for new info and inquires on those name boards and It looks like the indian man Alexis Laplante might be the connection to the Pohattan daughter as the LaPlante's are looking for a
indian "princess" up that line someplace also .. with some Iroquois blood also. which probably really means Alleg /Allegewi / Alle blood. but maybe she is up that Laplante line somewhere too .
I had thought she was strait up grandma's line but maybe not.
and I do not remember Pocohantas sisters name ,
so I don't know if we are looking for the same lady or not.
or yours Massey is a descendants of the one I am looking for also .. maybe your Massey hasthe same famous 'indian princess' as ours does .

but I think we are indifferent years as the 'rogers"surname would be more likely 1800's time frames ?

and I do believe that some of the massey/Laplante in my line are from Indiana or lived in IN also. but canada before that . so there must be some tie in.
so when was your Massey ancestors born?

WayaGawonii
01-05-2011, 08:19 AM
GG Massey (you know I am not positive of the spelling) just had some old photos and before my grandma passed she told me her mother's name was Indiana Massey and was Cherokee mix with another tribe but never said what tribe. My grandma was born in the late 1800s so I would figure her mother was born in mid 1800s(?). She was old when I was born. The papers I found were some that were saved in the attic of my grandma's house (which was built after the fire of the old homeplace)and the reference to "Little Standing Deer" was clear and I could make out her son's name "Andrew Standing Deer"....they seemed to have been passed on from mother to daughter for a long time. I do know that my paternal grandmother was a teacher and she wrote down her lineage but not much was savaged from the fire, sadly.

You are right about Rogers....it was in the 1800s...that is my mother's side and is traced clearly back to Ireland.
Thank you,
WayaGawonii

JoniEvansBrockman
01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi, WayaGawonii:
I don't know if this information may be of interest to you, but I found this on Andy Standing Deer, circa 1891 NC in my searchings: near your timeline. If this is not your people, then I apologize for the shake-up!
There is a wealth of information at this site http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/northcarolina/cherokee/eastern_cherokee_enumeration_1880.htm; Cherokee Enumerations; Cherokee census of 1835; Wallace Rolls; Guion Miller Rolls; and more...

Jessee and Andy Standing Deer, Cherokee, North Carolina, 1891522
http://www.saponitown.com/forum/images/saponi/misc/pencil.png

WayaGawonii
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Thank you soooo much JoniEvansBrockman! This is great info and with a picture. Andy Standing Deer could very well be the Andrew Standing Deer I have been searching for. I saw much family resemblance and believe he could have married my great grandma. Thank you!!

Nannanae
01-16-2011, 12:18 PM
ok I have a question about the surname Skiinner in IN /OH

my my great grandpa was a Skinner, and my great grandma said her husband had some indian in him way back, but never talked about it. I know his mothers father was german..Moss and Shiner and that is what she said he identidied as.. so I have off and on tried to find the indians in the Skinner line , but no one knows to much now days..
in searching for Our Massey/missey/Mace
I found where there was Alexis Laplant or Messey who was indian, now when they were baptitized they had a "God parent" Named "Peltier" while they were still in Canada .. since we know that LaPlant line as Massey at least spend some time in IN.. could the sir name Skinner be the same line as Peltier? like the "english' translations or version of the same name and meaning ? and maybe even somehow related to the LaPlant line?
so my question is .. so in french catholic traditions who is the who gets to be "god parents" is there some kind of laws or rules for such business?
so just in case , calling all "Skinners" and " Peltier" do yo all have tale of a famous indian woman in your family too?
and I will go check the boards to see if there is any hints of such a thing in those lines.. I never looked for that.
thanks in advance for any help guys!

littlebear
01-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm new to this so I hope this goes through..if I don't push the wrong button..again!! My mother's line is
Stockham (Welsh), Irwin/Erwin, Rice, and Wallace. My Dad's line is where I think the NA comes in. Griffin, Cameron, Gore, Grace, Kessinger (German), and Deaterla (German)

WayaGawonii
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Osiyo, After long hours of work and research with old papers and journals and old great/great aunts stories I have been able to put together a descent list. I hope it helps someone as well as I can possibly get to know some kin down the line, this is on my patenal side: (My mother's side is Irish that goes back to the Doyles in Cork Co, Ireland):

GGGG Grandma Uwahali Two Feathers (Catawba/Cherokee) married Scotsman Jack MacNeil...they had:
GGG Grandma Awi Two Feathers (MacNeil) married Cherokee/Choctaw Jack Redbird they had:
GG Grandma Grace Two Feathers (Redbird) married George Massey(Cherokee/Saponi) they had:
G Grandma Indiana Massey married John Dozier, they had:
Grandma M. Dozier married G. Price, they had:
My Dad J.R. Price

Whew...this does take lots of hours and lots of work and $$. Let me know if anyone has any connections or if it helps.
Walk in Beauty,
WayaGawonii

littlebear
01-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi..Just saw the name Goad in your list of family surnames. My husband's mother was a Goad and her family was originally from Virginia. One obit said Greenbriar County but you know how the info in obits tend to be wrong. Depends on who gives it. Maybe no connection but ................

Kamama
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Steve- I am writing about your Weir family. Where were they located? I am looking for mine. Kamama
Hi, everyone,

I will post the family surnames I have to date.

My paternal grandfather's line: direct line is Shelton, Smith, Sharp and Freeman. Some of these have been traced to Tennessee and Virginia.

My paternal Grandmother's line: direct line is Miller, and Gillespie. Miller has been traced to Pennsylvania.

My maternal grandfather's line: Jones. This is my most challenging research to date, it is currently limited to my grandfather. He was supposed to have been born in Texas.

My maternal grandmothers line: direct line is Homan, Fieandt, Burnett, Steele, Wear or Weir, Williams, Burns, Cordry, Thomas, Stephens, Kirkpatrick, Garton, Carson, Ewing and Alexander. These have been traced to Tennessee, Kentucky,Virginia and South Carolina.

More to come, I hope.

notherblackfoot
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
so far these are the only blackfoot related surnames in my tree i know of yet,from the pitt n.c. area. anybody else got this?

Tomehawk
08-25-2013, 04:52 PM
My wife's grandfather is a Massey who is supposed to be Cherokee and Saponi (Cheraw). His Cheraw ancestor is Maky Whitefeather Hawkins, but not sure how the Cherokee fits in though.

Osiyo, After long hours of work and research with old papers and journals and old great/great aunts stories I have been able to put together a descent list. I hope it helps someone as well as I can possibly get to know some kin down the line, this is on my patenal side: (My mother's side is Irish that goes back to the Doyles in Cork Co, Ireland):

GGGG Grandma Uwahali Two Feathers (Catawba/Cherokee) married Scotsman Jack MacNeil...they had:
GGG Grandma Awi Two Feathers (MacNeil) married Cherokee/Choctaw Jack Redbird they had:
GG Grandma Grace Two Feathers (Redbird) married George Massey(Cherokee/Saponi) they had:
G Grandma Indiana Massey married John Dozier, they had:
Grandma M. Dozier married G. Price, they had:
My Dad J.R. Price

Whew...this does take lots of hours and lots of work and $$. Let me know if anyone has any connections or if it helps.
Walk in Beauty,
WayaGawonii

Nannanae
08-27-2013, 05:28 AM
well I do not know if this is the same family as mine but my ancestors surname was pronounced like massey

but it was spelled like MACE. and Missey .

some place up my line of Mace/missey/massey was Pohattan and Saponi.

David Collins 1850 and Nancy Hopkins.

I had wondered how my Margarette Loree?/Lorie? /Lowery ?( I think is also pronounced Lowery) could have been born in Mobile before it was Mobile. I guess Mabila was a city a long time before Mobile was named after it . I just thought it was interesting possible history connection to some of my Nancy Hopkin's<massee missee="" <="" <<<="" loree="" lowery="" lines="" come="" from="" .
ancestors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabila

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bhuber&id=I4356

</massee>

Nita
09-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I am Nita Jane Ferrill Rosselli,
Hannah Honor Love was my (7th) Great Grandmother,
her mother was my (8th) Great Grandmother on my mothers side.

My mother was Mable Henrietta Latimer 1909-1998 California
Her mother, my Grandmother was Ermengarde H. (Erma) Pettingill 1887-1951 Illinois
Her mother was my great Grandmother Adaline Austin 1865-Connecticut
Her father was Harrison Austin my 2nd great Grandfather 1845-1912 Connecticut
His father was David Austin my 3rd great Grandfather 1803-1850 Rhode Island
His father was William D. Austin, my 4th great Grandfather 1791-1854 N. Carolina
His father was John Austin my 5th great Grandfather 1744-1805 Georga
His father was Richardson Richard Austin 6th great Grandfather 1724-1798 Virginia
His mother was Hannah Honor Love Saponi Indian my 7th great Grandmother 1702-1778 Virginia
Her mother Hannah Saponi Indian Squaw my 8th great Grandmother 1695-1729 Virginia
Her mother Elizabeth Taylor 1656, Wicomico, Nothumberland, Virginia

<dd class="eventTime textxlrg" style="margin: -12px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; position: absolute; width: 60px; left: 15px; text-align: center; top: 252.5px; color: rgb(105, 94, 73); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"></dd>