PDA

View Full Version : Occoneechees Buy Land

Linda
02-15-2004, 06:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Brent Lancaster
Times-News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEBANE - For the first time in 250 years, the Occaneechi of Pleasant Grove have land they can call their own.

The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation, an Indian tribe based in eastern Alamance and western Orange counties, bought 25 acres in Pleasant Grove on Thursday for a homeland. The group plans to build a tribal headquarters, a replica Indian village, and a Civil War era farm that resembles the Pleasant Grove farms of old.

It will be three or four years before a building that will house a tribal museum, administrative offices and meeting space, will be built. But the tribe can start on a replica village soon and use the land for pow-wows each spring and fall.

Tribal leaders envision a place where they can hold celebrations, conduct official business and teach visitors about Occaneechi culture.

"This is not just about us," Tony Hayes, the tribal chairman, said. "It's about teaching people about themselves and about their neighbors. As a body of people, we're genuinely excited."

The tribe bought 25 acres along Dailey Store Road in northeastern Alamance County for $86,000. The group had been looking at another piece of property nearby but the seller backed out.

The Occaneechi won a more than decade-long battle for state recognition as an Indian tribe in 2002. Recognition means a spot on the North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs and the right to compete for grant money.

The Commission turned the tribe down for membership in 1990, 1995, 1997 and 1999 before the Occaneechi took their case to court and argued that commission members were acting out of personal bias instead of looking at the facts.

Forest Hazel, a historian and researcher who has worked with the tribe for years, said that much of the land will be farmed to help cover expenses.

The tribe may grow "Indian corn, gourds, pumpkins, mint and even apples,"Hazel said. The group hopes to hold this year's fall pow-wow on tribal land for the first time in hundreds of years.

"It will mean the tribe doesn't have to borrow someone else's property and be subject to the property owners' whims any longer," Hazel said. "It's a step toward the tribe being self-sufficient economically."

Families descended from the Occaneechi, Saponi and Eno tribes of central North Carolina and Virginia started settling in Pleasant Grove around the time of the Revolutionary War.

The community was known as Little Texas because of its Indian population.

The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation has about 500 members and tribal leaders say there are several hundred others in the surrounding areas with family ties.erty and be subject to the property owners' whims any longer," Hazel said. "It's a step toward the tribe being self-sufficient economically."

Families descended from the Occaneechi, Saponi and Eno tribes of central North Carolina and Virginia started settling in Pleasant Grove around the time of the Revolutionary War.

The community was known as Little Texas because of its Indian population.

The Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation has about 500 members and tribal leaders say there are several hundred others in the surrounding areas with family ties.

techteach
02-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Just a thought - since we are a virtual group, how about a virtual village - a few web pages with pics of typical life with appropriate information? Teachers with Native American lessons would take advantage of something like this. Sort of a virtual field trip. I don't have time to work on it right now, though. Just throwing out an idea if someone else has the time and interest.

Linda
02-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Sounds good to me.

redfox
02-19-2004, 08:55 PM
American Indain REference and resource books for children and young adults. by barbara j. Kuiper isbn: 1-56308-258-6

native americans in children literature by jon c. scott forewrod by joseph bruchac isbn: 0-89774-782-8

these are two good books for reference for base of lesson plans.

I can also post places to get catalogs to get children books.
I will be a preschool teacher hopefully next june.
linda remind me if I don't post in a week. I will have to look up information. Thanks

Linda
02-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Oh dear, somebody else please remind Redfox. I'm the one who always needs reminding. My short term memory starting shorting out about three years ago because of fibromyalgia. Or was that four years ago? I don't remember. 8-) The rest of the brain function is just fine. It's kind of like a computer with a good hard drive, good CPU, but the RAM keeps locking up. It still works, but you have to take it easy on the multi-tasking.

Bill Childs
02-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, Techteach, good idea. But with some old and some new. New?
We didn't "disappear", we're just invisible. Need something to jog everyone's imagination - leaving an impression kinda like that "before and after" picture of the three Absorocca (Crow) teenagers in the 1890s before and after they "reported" to the rez school.

techteach
02-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks,
This is one of those times that I would love to work on this but just can't. Two articles and two conferences due in the next month. I do have a few web sites for ideas: http://www.nativetech.org/scenes/, http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/vaindianslesson.htm, http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/as/education/projects/webunits/vahistory/tribes.html, http://www.indianvillage.org/, http://intgrunits.olivet.edu/Native%20Americans/team%20activities.htm, http://ab.mec.edu/jamestown/powhatan.html and http://www.u.arizona.edu/ic/kmartin/School/index.htm if someone takes this on. I used these web sites to write an article describing a lesson I designed that uses technology and is inclusive (hence, TechTeach).
One thing however, if someone takes this project on, and we follow suggestions such as Bill made, including more modern information, one area that I do not think is frequently covered is what we all are looking at, how our ancestors dealt with white contact and what it did to change them. I have seldom found anything about groups who are not identified with a tribal organization. I have encountered a number of people in education in the last two years who make comments like "You never read about this." or "Gee, I never thought about those who might have hidden their heritage. That's a way of thinking about it that you don't read about." These kinds of things are impacting, however, how we teach about such people as Columbus. Because of his history of mistreatment of native Americans, he is not taught as a hero anymore in most places.

TechTeach

redfox
02-20-2004, 07:54 PM
no: I am taking 6 college classes this sememster and have alot of school assignments and labs. I just need reminded to keep me on tack sometimes. :) :)

catalogs:
This one is excellent:
rising moon
2900 n. fort valley road
flagstaff az 86001
www.northland.com
bilingual and english book, native american books
for children

silverwave records inc.
p.o. box 7943
boulder co 80306
1-800-sil-wave
phone 303-443-5617
email: info@silverwave.com
children native american music (under the green corn moon native american lullabies)

I have more catalogs coming from companies. I will post as I get them in the mail. I order over 40 catalogs.

:D :D Hope you enjoy these catalogs let me know !! If anyone has any other suggestions for teaching I would be interested in knowing.

lynellarainhawk
11-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey!

The first and last time I read through this was when I first signed on. I had to pull it out and re-read it. It still sounds like a good idea. I'm not a teacher. Are there any other teachers among us?
:D This would be cool! Lynella.

techteach
11-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Seems like if a real village is being developed, this could be part of that, incorporating digital images and maybe directions for making Tom's baskets, information on customs, etc. There are several of these online that I have used to develop lessons and presentations.

Techteach

lynellarainhawk
11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Techteach,

Yeah! We could put a lot of great stuff on it for anyone who wants to make it to the real thing, but can't and such. Have a monthly news letter (hard copy) people could subscribe to. Not too costly, but enough to put in the till for the other stuff we need to do and get and the like. :cool: Love & Light, Lynella.

techteach
11-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Yes, but initially my idea was to do something to help teachers online, so their students could use it for look-ups, so a newsletter would not really benefit them. (That being said, I am not voicing opposition to a newsletter, just clarifying what I was initially thinking of.) There are several sites that do this already and I have used them with students. This way, if the students were making Powerpoint slideshows on native Americans, they could use the Internet and find the site. Also make the pix legal to download into slideshows. It is legal if used educationally but it is more comfortable to read this. These sites are wonderful for webquests too. Kids use these sites all the time, especially right now with Thanksgiving here. It is a prime time for units on native Americans. In fact, I think November might be native American month. Need to check.
There need not be teachers on this site, although there is one teacher in training here. Teachers and students would find the site anyway. I find this site all the time when I am googling stuff on eastern tribes.

Cindy

lynellarainhawk
11-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Techteach,

Ah! I see what your saying. That truly is a very good idea, indeed. I hadn't looked at itt that way. Yes, I'm slow on the up-take sometimes! Love & Light, Lynella.:D