• Appalachian Mountain Families - Brenda Collins Dillon

My family lines are deeply rooted in the mountains of West Virginia and Kentucky. They are a mixture of White, Black, Indian, and Melungeon. My search has gone from the State of Washington, in the West, to Virginia and North Carolina in the East. I married a man from Massachusetts, so my children are descendants of the Sampson & Standish & Alden lines off the Mayflower.

Bloodlines are important but there are also those lines that are not related by blood but have raised us and left inside us the morals , and characteristics that make us who we are today. My mother was adopted when she was two days old and raised by a wonderful loving couple that had no other children. My stepfather was orphaned at six weeks and tossed from one family member to another until he was old enough or big enough to work. I was a child without a daddy until my mother married and that gentle man raised me as his own. Yes, these lines are not blood kin , but just as important.

Comments 2 Comments
        Wendy -
        I, too, have roots stemming from The Mayflower, PA, KY, WV and OH. I have been searching for a while, trying to find my connection to the Blackfoot and the Pohatan. I was born and raised in the Ohio Valley, not far from the Ohio River. I have many memories of visiting our WV relatives...driving up the hollers and up the creek beds to get to their homes. My Grandparents are buried in the Ronk Cemetary in Milton. My other Granddad is buried in Parkersburg Cemetary. My Mom was born out of wedlock because her Grandfather didn't want her Mom to marry a "dirty Indian", so she never had a father or siblings, because her Mom wouldn't marry any one else. thank you for sharing with us!
        Wendy -
        I do have a Collins in my family tree...I think his name was Silvio and he married Rosetta Edwards. they lived in the Huntington area and Silvio made plaster figures in his garage. i don't know if he worked anywhere or not.