Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker, Evans, Bass, Pettiford families

Parker, Evans, Bass, Pettiford families

Hello,

I found out some new info. The son of Henry and Mahaby Parker, Junius Parker wife name is Frances Evans. Her parents are Turnner Evans and Martha Bass. Sometimes Frances last name is recorded as Bass. I was told that her parents may not have been married or were common law. I am not sure where she was born, possibly Virginia but she was married in Granville County, NC. Is it true that Surname Bass and Evans are Saponi?

I also found a connection to Mahaby(Mahaley,Haley,Haly,Halsalar) Parker. There is a site Enslaved Ancestors in Granville County that contains the work of Barnetta McGhee White.

Yancey, Tryon to H. G. Pittard. "...also the following Negro slaves, to wit, one woman by the name of Cornelia & her three children Lewis, Ann & George, also one woman by the name of Hanah, also one girl by the name of Mahaley, also all my right title & interest in and to my late father-in-law Thomas Blacknall, dec'd, estate...." (DIT-1840, pp. 500-503, book 9)

apparently she was in t he household of a Thomas Blacknall first and then deeded in trust to H.G. Pittard. I don't know anything about Thomas Blacknall and would like to know more if anyone has any info. I don't know where his plantation was or what it was called. If anyone has any info, please let me know.
    I don't know if this is my great-great grandmother but this is as close as I have come to finding something about her.

I've also come across info on a child of Henry and Mahaby Parker that I haven't heard of Before.

In the Granville Heritage Book a Fack Parker son of Henry Parker and Haley Parker to a (Sallie) Emeline Mitchell daughter of Unknown and Rhoda Mitchell 02 Oct 1879

It seems as if the Parker's, Evans, Bass, and Pettiford families intermarried alot. Does anyone know why this is.

The Bass name starts out as English, some Bass descendants pick up some Nansemond Indian ancestry in the 1600's thru intermarriage and pass it along. SOme of these descendants end up in Granville Co. Evans is SOMETIMES connected with the Haliwa-Saponi community of Halifax/Warren Counties, and the Bass name is ancestral there as well in some families.

Quote: "It seems as if the Parker, Evans, Bass and Pettiford families intermarried alot. Does anyone know why this is."
    I think it usually came down to "diminished possibilities", i.e., it was not possible, and in some cases it was "not desirable", to marry "out". As human beings, we usually marry people we are "accustomed to" and can identify with.
    Yes, it also goes the other way today and it doesn't take much imagination to realize that it wasn't much different in the past.
    What date is attached to the Thomas Blacknall data referencing a Mahaley? I'll try to look him up.
    Bill

Hi,

This is where I got my info:

www.afrigeneas.com

ENSLAVED ANCESTORS ABSTRACTED FROM
    GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
    DEED BOOKS, 1828 - 1864

O - Z

Yancey, Tryon to H. G. Pittard. "...also the following Negro slaves, to wit, one woman by the name of Cornelia & her three children Lewis, Ann & George, also one woman by the name of Hanah, also one girl by the name of Mahaley, also all my right title & interest in and to my late father-in-law Thomas Blacknall, dec'd, estate...." (DIT-1840, pp. 500-503, book 9

I don't know if this is my Mahaley or not becasue she is refered to as a girl but that doesn't always imply that she was a child especially back then. I hope this is what you are looking for. thank you for your help.

Evans

Bill, I'm stuck on my Evans line in the same location. Likely the same family group.
    Elizabeth Evans (1795-1851)
    This is coincidentally the wife of my Richard Ryland Moore (1793-1839) who is brother to Becky's John Moore..... both being sons of Abraham Moore and Jean Farrar
    From the internet I have Elizabeth as daughter of Samuel Evans. When I search Samuel Evans there seems to be about 100 of them from Ga to Md to Il to Ky to Tx...... they are everywhere, like some more of my lines. LOL
    The associated families in late 1700s in my family in Granville/Person, NC are Kennedy, Jones, Tally, Rice, Gooch, Tap, Bumpass, Cozart, Beasley, Glenn, Farrar, Martin, Lyon.

Ken,
    Not to mention the 4000 + Richard Moores. I'll start a new thread on them.
    Bill

Andrea,
    I didn't find much at all, just unconnected tidbits .......
    a marriage record:
    Thomas J. Blacknall, of Henderson, Granville Co., NC, marr'd Louisa J. FOSTER of Franklin Co., NC, license Jan. 24, 1852 Franklin Co., NC and marr'd Jan 28, 1852 Loucst Grove, Franklin Co., NC. - but this probably isn't the guy you mentioned.

other marriage records:

Thomas Blacknall marr'd Mary KITTRELL on Oct 11, 1798 Granville Co., NC.
    and this may be the same Thomas Blacknall (or not) who marr'd:
    Mildred GILL, Nov 21, 1822 Franklin Co., NC
    and
    Polly DANIEL, Oct 11, 1825 Franklin Co., NC.

Now, this last Thomas may be the one you listed. I think he is the one who left a Will in 1837. It supposedly is in the County, not the State Archives.

Coincidentally, on the 1850 Granville Co., NC Fed Census, there is an 18 yr old Thomas Blacknall, b. NC, in the FISHING CREEK District who is the son of "J.T." Blacknall, b.abt. 1850, NC, and Martha, b. abt. 1810 NC.

In 1850 Franklin Co., NC, Powell's District, pg. 355, is a family:
    Thomas Blacknall, 72, B, Va.
    Patty, 53, B, NC
    Gabriel, 21, NC
    James, 19, NC
    Becky, 18, NC
    Robert, 16, NC
    Abithy, 12, NC
    Thomas, 4, NC
    Not much help.
    Bill

Thank you Bill. I will check out the info you gave me.

ADillard

Hey!

I have a Rachel C. Evans in mine.....H-m-m-m-m-m-. Lynella.

Dreaminghawk and ADillard,

You know what? I'm seeing something here, not sure what yet, still connecting dots, but if either of you have any ideas, please let me know.

My Rachel Evans was born in Indiana, as were her father, Ezra Evans and her mother Elizabeth Miller. I want to track Evans and Miller back, back, back. But I can't seem to find anything.

Another thing, Tryon. We weren't sure if it was Tryon or misspelled Tyrone.

While looking up Reeds in NC the other day, I came across Tryon and I'm starting to think it is Tryon.

Bill had found, Sara Tryon Carlisle married David Kinder. She herself would not have been my relative I don't think, I'll have to check again. BUT, that places me back to my Carlisles which still need further checking as well. Sara Tryon would have been a stepmother to one of my relatives I think.

WELL, thank you guys this is really getting my mind going. Which is gonna' make Bill say, "Oh no!" Love & light, Lynella.

Hey, You Guys,

Hi! In Kerry's big Cemetary post here on the geneology forum, if you click his link, there are Evans' burried in Warrick Co., Ind. Are they any of yours? I know we're looking for a few of those ourselves! There are a ton of names in there. Just thought I'd let ya' know! Love & Light, Lynella.

Hey! It's been a while so I thought I'd see how your hunting is going. Very well, I hope! I wanted to let you know I came across a book on line today that lists a bunch of Evans' family tree and really interesting historical stuff. I found it at Accessgeneology.com, I clicked Surnames, then Evans. Just incase you haven't come across it yet. Love & Light, Lynella.

The Thomas Blacknall, father to wife of Tryon Yancey

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Childs
    [B]Andrea,

Thomas Blacknall [who] marr'd Mary KITTRELL [on or after] Oct 11, 1798 Granville Co., NC [by marriage bond of that date]"

was the father-in-law of Tryon Yancey (1810-1869), through his daughter Sarah Brooks Kittrell and the grandfather of two officers in the Confederate Army, Col. Charles Christopher Blacknall and Maj. Thomas Henry Blacknall of NC and AR units respectively.

Hello Dillard.

I have some Bass in my line from Halifax Co. NC

I am still trying to research it. I got some info from the Halifax Co. rootsweb board. But as yet, I still have to make the trip to Halifax, NC to research the records.
    The names include, Hux, Green, Bass, Pitts, Bobbit, Shaw, Smith.
    When I can find anything out, I will post it here for your information.
    From the 1910 census, which I viewed at the Davis Library at UNC, Bass is listed as a mulatto name, as is Hux, Green, Shaw, and Bobbit.

Regards,
    Lynne

Parker, evans, bass, pettiford families

KinMapper,
    And the father of Tryon Yancey b1810 is Tryon Yancey married Martha Harris..if you just search Tryon you'll see a previous post for Tryon Yancey and Martha Harris. Sue J
    sue Janz