Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lucas, white, allen, cargill

lucas, white, allen, cargill

I thought the info from Gr granchildren #3 and #4 was with the same father but different mothers. And can David Allen married to a Catherine Lanier with a son William Lanier Allen be ruled out? And what does the 1911 massacre have to do with this? Or was that just a side note to the Allen name in the massacre. I don't think I have any ancestors in Carroll co but I guess you never know do you.
    OH My Goodness.
    Sue J
    sue Janz

Sue,
    Here are some land entries you may not have.....
    (this "locates" them relative to each other)

From "Emigration to Other States From Southside Virginia, Volume 1" by Elliott:

Lunenburg County Deed Book 5, pg.558, 12 Dec 1759.
    Recorded 5 Feb. 1760:
    John McDaniel of Johnston County, Province of North Carolina, to WILLIAM ALLEN of Lunenburg County, Colony of Virginia... cons. for land in Johnston County... trades to ALLEN 200 acres of land on south side of Meherrin River on Mountain Creek, adjoining James McDaniel, and others.

Mecklenburg County Deed Book 5, pg.129, 10 Nov 1777:
    WILLIAM ALLEN of Mecklenburg County to James Pulliam of Lunenburg County... consigns 150 pounds.... 150 acres adjoining John Stone and others.

Lunenburg County Deed Book 13, pg.57, 6 Nov 1777.
    Recorded 13 Nov 1777:
    James Pulliam of Lunenburg County to Daniel Clay of Amelia County... cons. 100 pounds... 100 acres more or less, adjoining ROBERT ALLEN... in the County of Lunenburg.
    Witnessess: William Tucker, George Tucker, Joel Tucker
    (Signed) James Pulliam
    (note: James Pulliam marr'd abt. 1759, Elizabeth STONE, dau of Richard Stone, Sr. and Mary (WYNNE) Stone of Lunenburg Co.
    James Pulliam d. in Person Co NC prior to 1800.)

Lunenburg County Deed Book 11, pg.124, 7 March 1768.
    Recorded 11 March 1768:
    DRURY ALLEN of Granville County, Province of North Carolina, to Isaac Brizendine of Lunenburg County, Colony of Virginia... cons. 70 pounds and in consideration of said Drury Allen moving... 300 acres of land in Lunenburg County.
    From "Early Wills 1765-1799 Mecklenburg County Virginia" by Elliott:

Mecklenburg County Wills, Abstracts:
    Will Book 1, pg.15:
    WILLIAM ALLEN, Feb 4, 1789. Recorded April 13, 1789:
    Wife Ann.
    Children: Robert Allen, Susanna Allen, Joseph Allen, Pines Allen, Nancy Allen, Fanny Smith Allen - Wife to raise these six youngest children.
    Bequest to wife - Land on West side of Mountain Creek and other property for natural life.
    Children:
    Pleasant Allen, land on Mountain Creek;
    Grey Allen, horse and 25 pounds cash;
    Dolly Allen, furniture and 20 pounds cash; Mary Allen 5 shillings cash,
    Elizabeth Burnett, 5 pounds cash.
    Remainder of estate not willed above to be divided among the following children: Turner Allen, Drury Allen, Lucy Morgan, John Allen, William Allen, Darling Allen, Martha Jarrott, Young Allen and Meredith Allen.
    Executors: Isaac Johnson, Elisha Arnold and son Drury Allen.
    Witnesses: Samuel Marshall, Walter Evans and Stephen Evans.

Sue says>>>>> I thought the info from Gr granchildren #3 and #4 was with the same father but different mothers. And can David Allen married to a Catherine Lanier with a son William Lanier Allen be ruled out? And what does the 1911 massacre have to do with this? Or was that just a side note to the Allen name in the massacre.

Sue, judging from what Bill posted I think it is likely that David married Catherine is son of David married Apphia Lewis and family #4 just missed a generation.... Bill, is that your hunch?
    I just checked Carroll co because I was curious about the possibility that the Carroll co Allens could be part of the same family as the Person co Allens....... yep, just a sidenote. They all had kin that ended up in Hawkins co Tenn. My sources do have William Lanier as son of David and Catherine.
    Sidenote to Bill....... was talking to Patrick Stewart of the High Plains Sappony tonight at historical society meeting. Are you aware that the name EPPS was originally EVANS? Pat is gonna help us sort out Evans, Talley, Rice, Martin, Coleman and that group.... he has collected volumes of records on this grouping.

No, I wasn't aware that EPPS was EVANS.
    There are EPPS/EPES, etc., going way back into 1600s Va. and same for the EVANS.

Would Patrick post that info?

Yes. I thought we were missing a generation for these David Allens or that there was a David in two related Allen lines (geography), but I didn't find a David Allen in the area who marr'd any Catherine. I sure wish you'd write that book on Person Co Marriages!!
    In Halifax Co., Va:
    29 May 1797. David Allen m'd Anne Owen. Sur: Benjamin Conner.
    Anne signed her own consent.
    It's hard telling where this David actually lived, but he's not the same person as the David m'd Apphia Lewis.

Bill, I am trying to persuade Patrick to come to saponitown but he is one busy man. He is trying to get some of his info transferred from paper to computer. I'll be seeing more of him all along. Not all of the High Plains group are ready to share their info but Pat is trying to get the truth out. May take a while. More by email ;-)

bill,
    I show this William Allen you mentioned as the son of Robert II...William born in 1724 with four marriages..and many children...Wives ___ WRAY, Mary LEWIS, Sarah "Ann" SMITH, and a Beverly...first name? Last name?
    Drury died 10 April 1823 Anson Co NC
    Darling Died 1802 Anson co also.
    Gray Allen Died Anson Co nc also.
    Meredith B 1766 married to nancy COOPER, had a son Coleman, son Darling B 1792 Mecklenburg, son Jones Allen B 1790

Pleasant born 1751?
    Dorothy B 1773
    Mary
    Elizabeth
    Turner
    Young Allen
    William B married Sallie anderson
    Jones Allen married Dorothy Gee
    Thanks for all the info supplied...
    There is I am sure a lot of info I don't have..
    Sue J
    sue Janz

From "The Marriage License Bonds of Mecklenburg County, Virginia from 1765 to 1810", listed and indexed by Stratton Nottingham. Some of these you've mentioned.
    ("sec" = security, a.k.a. Surety)

ALLEN, Arva & Polly Clarke, 1 Aug 1786, Bolling Clarke sec.

ALLEN, Charles & Sarah Smith, dau Drury Smith, 20 Apr. 1781, David Royster sec.

ALLEN, Darling & Judith Nance, 9 May 1783, Robert Nance sec.

ALLEN, Ephraim & Patsey Skelton (Shelton), 13 Feb 1792, Thomas Allen sec.

ALLEN, Gray & Molley Nance, 16 Dec 1791, William Drumright sec. Notes from groom's brother Darling Allen, wit. Stacy Drumright & bride's father, Robert Nance, wit. Drury Allen.

ALLEN, James & Frances Conner, 13 Apr 1795, Burwell Russell sec.

ALLEN, John & Nancy Morgain, 15 Dec 1783, Frederick Rainey sec.

ALLEN, John, of Buckingham Co., & Elizabeth Bugg, 3 Oct 1791, Thomas Langley sec.

ALLEN, John & Patsey Cox, 14 Jan 1793, Thomas Cox sec.

ALLEN, John & Martha Colley, 12 Nov 1798, William Brown sec.

ALLEN, John & Constant Merriott, 3 Mar 1808, Thos. Merriott sec.

ALLEN, Jones & Nancy Lewis, 8 Jan 1810, Robert Lewis sec.

ALLEN, Mariday, son of William Allen, & Nancy Cooper, 9 Aug 1788, John Bailey sec.
    [my note: "Mariday/Meridy" seems to have been a common spelling of "Meridith" in this area/time frame.]

ALLEN, Matthews & Mary Brawner, 8 May 1797, James Thompson sec.

ALLEN, Pleasant & Rebeccah Watson, 8 Aug 1787, John Allen sec.
    Note signed Rebakah & William Allen, Senr.

ALLEN, Richard M. & Elizabeth B. Blacketter, 6 Nov 1809, David Blacketter sec.

ALLEN, Robert Jones & Caty Hollins, 1 Dec 1786, Thomas Richardson sec.

ALLEN, Ruel & Mary Pulliam, 13 Jan 1794, James Norment sec.

ALLEN Thomas & Lucy Adams, 13 Dec 1796, John Freeman sec.

ALLEN, Young & Sarah Poole, 27 Feb 1786, Darling Allen sec.

ADAMS, Richard & Sally ALLEN, 28 Oct 1808, Fielding Noel sec.

AVERETT, Thomas & Rebecca ALLEN, 13 July 1807, Joel Allen sec.

BAILEY, John & Anne ALLEN, 2 Mar 1791, Elisha Arnold sec.

HOLMES, Edards & Elizabeth ALLEN, 17 June 1797, James Jones sec.

MARTIN, James & Margaret ALLEN, 12 Mar 1800, John Puryear sec.

MARTIN, Oliver & Elizabeth ALLEN, 13 Mar 1799, Richard M. Allen sec.

RAGSDALE, Richard & Susanna ALLEN, 12 Nov 1792, Robert Harris sec.

ROBERTS, John & Leanner ALLEN, 21 May 1799, William Allen sec.

SHEARER, James & Nancy ALLEN, 13 Nov 1797, John Cox sec.

SPAIN, Abraham & Elizabeth ALLEN, 6 May 1795, Henderson Wade sec.

SPAIN, Daniel & Judith ALLEN, 18 Nov 1802, Abraham Spain sec.
    Bill

Wow Bill!
    Maybe some of these names will help someone else too to find some connections...these families seem so large..
    Thank you again...for every line I can mention in an area, you come up with more and more details which is great...
    It just started snowing here! Sticking a little bit to the grass but not the roads yet. First snow so far..
    Sue J
    sue Janz

It's just started snowing here within the last hour. Big, wet flakes sticking to the deck but the ground and pavement isn't cold enough so it's melting on contact and with the low temp for tomorrow morning forecast for only 32, there's not much chance it'll accumulate - but it's right on schedule. I'm about 25 miles southeast of the "average snowline" so we usually get the first dusting the week of Thanksgiving.

It's been snowing here all day. We had the first snow plow past the house today. A nice dusting on the ground.

Cindy

It's in the sixties here, but this apartment's so hot I have the window open. Lots of rain earlier.

It's gorgeous this morning. Sun shining, just enough snow to cover the grass with an inch but not enough to stop us from traveling. We moved to a rural location last summer, so we have seen several cardinals, several chickadees, a red-headed woodpecker, a nuthatch, and junkos at our feeder this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Cindy

lucas etc.

Happy Thanksgiving...
    My daughter and daughter-in-law are outside building a giant snowman and the snow is already melting...we received about 6 inches..a real heavy wet snow and had a snowball fight last night. It's about 1:00 pm here and we won't eat until about 4:00. Hope all of you have a very nice holiday... sue J
    sue Janz