Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haliwa-Saponi Genealogy

Haliwa-Saponi Genealogy

I'm trying to find any information about my father. His names is James Author Richarson and he lived in either Rocky Mount or Hollister N.C. in the earlier 50's through 70's. He would be about 75 to 80 years old if he's still alive, and I believe he would have been born around 1930 or so. I don't know much about him or his ancestry other than he was a descendant of the Haliwa-Saponi tribe. He lived in D.C. during the 60's to early 70's and he has a few cousins in the Wash. D.C. area. He worked for the Dept. of Agriculture and was in the army for a while. I don't have a SSAN or last address. But he does have three other son's, Lorenzo, Steven and I can't remember the other children names. I'm 40 now and I have kids of my own now and I just want to close a chapter in my life that has been open for 30 years. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I posted a picture of him with this thread.
    Thanks.

Little Richard - aka Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james richardson.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	38  
    Little Richard

Hey Larry. I'm Troy.I'm a member of the Haliwa-saponi Tribe too. I can't remember the website for the tribe, but the address is PO Box 99, Hollister, Nc 27844. You could probably write them with your Father's info and they could answer any question's you may have. Barry Richardson is my cousin and he's the tribal administrator. So, if you write, address it to him. If He can't give you the info, then I'm sure He can put you with someone who can. I'm related to the Richardson's myself. My Grandmother was a Richardson. Who knows, maybe we're related somewhere down the line. Anyway, I hope this info helps you out in some small way. Good Luck.
    Saponi67

Thanks for helping him, Saponi67.

Little Richard, send any photos to me and I'll upload them for you.

sissipaha@saponitown.com

I am feeling lost.

Hi I am feeling the same way. I am a Richardson and a descendant of the Haliwa Saponi tribe my family originates from Hollister NC, in fact my grandfather Ernest Lee Richardson still lives there. I am feeling lost right now, because I don't know much about the tribe or history. I would like to explore this side of my heritage, so that I can share it with my children. My family is not a good help at all, so I figured that I would go another route. I have tried to log onto the site, but it is under reconstruction. Can someone please help me. My mother is Haliwa Saponi and my father is black, however when someone asks my race I always tell them that I am just black, because I am scared that if someone happens to question me about my indian heritage, I wont know what to tell them. I really don't know!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi, Mandi, you've come to the right place and We'll help if possible.
    Welcome to THE Forum.
    Can you put an approximate date of birth on your grandfather Earnest Richardson? Do you know the names of his parents?
    If not, could you ask him?
    Bill

Haliwa Saponi

Welcome Mandi,
    There is no need to feel ashamed if you don't know much about your indian heritage. My gr grandmother is from Hollister but moved into Warrenton in the late 1800's. I was not told much about my heritage and I am just finding out the extent of my family's native history. I have tried to connect to my Haliwa Saponi people and I sometimes feel like an outsider. The truth is if your family chose to leave Hollister then that connection to the tribe was severed in the minds of the people that stayed in Hollister. If you find that you are running into a brick wall don't get discouraged because you will always be Saponi no matter where you are located geograpically. I have found in my research that I am also part of other tribes and I am proud that I am Native American and my love for my culture is not because of belonging to a recognized tribe or living on a reservation, but because I am an indian in my heart. I live my culture daily in my public and my private life. If there is anything I can do to help you in your search, please let me know. I have found so much support on Saponitown when I first came aboard.

Again. welcome aboard my Haliwa Saponi sister....

Jade

Thanks, Haliwa girl, for welcoming Mandi so warmly. Mandi, just take it in small steps. I've tried to publish as much of the history as I can, either through links, or references to readily available books, or, in some cases, I've input texts that are hard to find. Check the links on the first page here at www.saponitown.com. You'll find, after awhile, that you stop talking about "them," when referring to your Indian ancestors, and instead start thinking "us." That's what they're waiting for.

Another thing, there's no such thing as "just" black. The two words don't go together. There's a lot of "attitude" out there, particularly here in the Upper South, among people who, nearly invariably, have some African bloodlines along with their Indian bloodlines, that there is something "just" about the African side. Don't give them an inch. They don't deserve it.

Dear Linda,

Re: your post of 8/22/2005 in this thread.I'm not understanding the last
    paragraph of it.Could you explain it a little more?

Thanks

Roca

I'm complaining about the racism among mixed-bloods towards darker-skinned, or more apparently African tri-racials.

Dear Linda,

Thanks!

I've seen it on this side too!I grew up
    in the black American community and when I was coming up in the 70's and 80's,one wasn't supposed to talk about being part-Indian and/or part-European.It
    was all about Africa and the European ancestors were stereotyped as "rapists".
    (Not necessarily!)

I had some trouble with the Afrocentric movement because many folks focused on East African culture
    (Swahili lessons,Egyptian and Ethiopian history,for example) although we are mostly of West African descent.

Roca

Tracing Family. Richardson's Va.&NC

My Father alway said we were Blackfoot. My Grandma was Katie Lou Richardson. Her father was James E. Richardson. His mother was Mary Elizabeth Richardson from Grayson Virginia. She was originally from NC.

Hello you all. I just wanted to clarify that I DID NOT mean anything derogatory by saying "just black". What I was trying to convey is that I would like to embrace both sides of my heritage, seeing as though I only know the history of one side. I apologize if I offended anyone. I of all people should know that there is nothing wrong with my african american heritage. So again, please do not take what I was taking out of context. Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I expressed myself awkwardly. I'm just tired of hearing those two words put together in this context. There's too much of that.

That's ok. I just didn't want anyone to take what I was saying the wrong way. I know exactly what you mean, though.

Born and raised in Mecklenburg Co., VA but now reside in Northern, VA

Just Black

Hi,

I too am tired of African American people talking down to us Black Indians about being "just black." I had a conversation with one person who is African American and her parents were from Trinidad. She said, "Black people from North Carolina get on my nerves about saying they have Indian in their family.....they just black." But on the other hand, she would always talk about Trinidad and her people from TRINIDAD!!!! She had no right to say that because I did not tell her....."Your parents are from Trinidad but your just black!!!! I am sure she would have gotten upset.

Personally, we should all embrace our ancesters and not try to dishonor other ancestry. Just something to think about.

Erica
    God's Child----Fearfully and Wonderfully Made