Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coates/Coppock

Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    That sounds very interesting! Is there an ETA?

It is interesting what you are saying about Quaker meeting records and mixed families.

This past weekend I was in Toronto for the Ontario Genealogical Society conference. The Canadian Friends Historical Society was there. They are currently focused on helping a transcription of Genesee New York Yearly Meeting records with an eye to First Nations detail recorded at that time. T
    he Canadian Friends Service Committee is focused on right relations with First Nations, and the Truth and Reconciliation Committee.

Here, Ottawa Monthly Meeting members continue to speak of the vision of the late Kitigan-Zibi Anishinabeg Chief Wiliam Commanda. His vision for Asinabka - a National Indigenous Center - a circle of all nations in a culture of peace. The land for this is a small island in the Kitchissippi near a sacred waterfall - called Chaudiere Falls today. The island sits right below the Supreme Court and Parliament buildings.

I'm grateful our Quaker ancestors recorded so much info that allows us to find them. And that in today's imperfect world there are still Friends actively working to preserve our shared culture.
    Not sure when it will be done but I can always use proofreaders...hint, hint,hint. I think the Quakers dislike of Anglicans and Anglican Church made them much more receptive to NA.
    Their cultures also shared "being in the spirit", prophesy and a strong belief in women's as equals, shared property within a community etc. I think this relates back to their Welsh heritage and clans and spiritual practices. Also, nothing ties a people together tighter than a common enemy, the English in this case.
    Vivian Markley
    www.cottrellgenealogy.com

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Markley View Post
    Not sure when it will be done but I can always use proofreaders...hint, hint,hint. I think the Quakers dislike of Anglicans and Anglican Church made them much more receptive to NA.
    Their cultures also shared "being in the spirit", prophesy and a strong belief in women's as equals, shared property within a community etc. I think this relates back to their Welsh heritage and clans and spiritual practices. Also, nothing ties a people together tighter than a common enemy, the English in this case.
    Myself and my sister can definitely proofread for you. As far as finding common ground with the Welsh values I would agree. There are multiple sub-groups, not just Quakers, Huguenots, and other, the thing they all have in common is they are not part of the majority group.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory

Picture of John J Coppock

JRich351 posted this on Ancestry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john_j_coppock.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	993 John J Coppock (1823-1895), brother of my Nathan Coppock Jr (1834-1895)
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White