Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Martha Stephens Rogers and Hester Rogers

Smile Magnolia - about ' double first cousins"

Hi !

My maternal grandfather and his brother married sisters. My mother said she had six " double first cousins. "

I found one- my mother's cousin, Fletcher Earl Howard's photo on p. 93 of the Chanticleer Yearbook of Duke University 1932- Religion Major. I've never seen a photo of my grandfather but, Fletcher's father, Henry Alphard Howard of Cooleemee, NC is in a 1908 group photo on the left, white hat, in the picture in the Davie County, NC Library with a group of men posing in front of the courthouse I can't make out his face.
    James Moore published a book about the people, history and life growing up in Davie.
    There is a copy of the photo in his book. It can be seen online at g-o-o-g-l-

Smile Sauk Fox

My grade school friend, Mary Ann Strimple, showed me a photo of her g-?g-grandparents .
    She said it was their wedding photo. She said he was a Chief of the Sauk Fox and she was French.
    He was in full Indian dress with a large headdress and she had long black hair and wore a dress of the late 1800's period.They were standing in front of a very tall teepee and smiling.
    She later c. 1967 went to college in St. Louis , Missouri. - nutrition scholarship.

Smile Sauk Fox

My grade school friend, Mary Ann Strimple, showed me a photo of her g-?g-grandparents .
    She said it was their wedding photo. She said he was a Chief of the Sauk Fox and she was French.
    He was in full Indian dress with a large headdress and she had long black hair and wore a dress of the late 1800's period.They were standing in front of a very tall teepee and smiling.
    She later c. 1967 went to college in St. Louis , Missouri. - nutrition scholarship.

Smile NC - Stevens Connection

My ggg-gm's brother, William Howard b. c. 1776 Surry /Rowan, NC , died Lincoln Co., TN aft. 1830
    supposedly, married Mary Stevens, 1790.

Red face Correction on Stevens post yesterday

Wm Howard married Elizabeth Chaffin.

Magnolia,

Thanks for your very interesting posts. The wedding photo you mentioned of a Chief of the Sauk Fox marrying a French woman must be very beautiful. I am researching marriages between Native Americans and French and Welsh immigrants in eastern Canada in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Some of my ancestors were from eastern Canada, and I am investigating possible French ancestry in my family.
    Gussie

French names Madlen and Georgietta

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Stayart View Post
    Hi Barb,

I don't know if the name Hester has any particular significance or is in fact a NA name. I also speculated that it could be a NA name. Sometimes I think that our ancestors just chose first names because they liked them, just as people do today. Hester's younger sisters were named Georgietta and Madlen (Ada Madlen). Her parents must have liked Madlen so much that they called her by her middle name instead of her first name Ada. I know that Madlen is a variation of Madeleine, which is a common French name. It is interesting to speculate but I don't think we can ever prove one way or another the motivation for choice of a first name, although I wish we could!
    The names Madlen and Georgietta may have French origins. The choice of these names by their parents may point to some French ancestry, possibly through their father Dean Rogers, who was born in Quebec, Canada. I have not been able to determine his mother's maiden name, but I think she could have French Canadian ancestry. I have also never been able to locate the graves of Dean and Martha Stephens Rogers in Iowa. Dean's obituary merely states that he was taken to the "place of burial" without mentioning the name of the cemetery or the town. Martha Stephens Rogers' obituary, if she has one, has never been found.
    Gussie

Hester Ann Fitzgerald's Gravestone

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Stayart View Post
    Martha Stephens was born in Virginia in the early 1800s and married Dean Rogers. Martha and Dean Rogers are my great-great-grandparents. I believe that they were Cherokees who were forced to migrate in 1838-39 on the Trail of Tears. However, I think that they escaped from the Trail of Tears somewhere in southern Illinois or Missouri and then went north to Iowa. They settled in the town of Rome, Iowa, in extreme southeast Iowa. Their daughter Hester Rogers was born in Rome, Iowa, in 1840 or 1841. Hester Rogers is my great-grandmother. Both Martha and Hester have strong faces, with charismatic eyes and cheekbones. I wish I knew more about the hardships Dean and Martha Rogers must have suffered and what they had to overcome to reach Iowa. The fact that they did is a tribute to them. Hester Rogers, upon reaching adulthood, married my great-grandfather, Thomas Fitzgerald, after his honorable discharge from the Union Army. He returned to the Midwest after having been wounded in the famous Civil War Battle in Mississippi, the Battle of Corinth.

Martha Stephens Rogers

Hester Rogers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hestergravestone.8.13.17.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	1146

Hester Ann Rogers Fitzgerald is my great-grandmother. Attached is a photo of her gravestone which was placed in August of 2008. She died in August of 1878 of malaria in Burlington, Iowa, and was buried in an unmarked grave. August of 2017 marks the 139th year of her death. She was born Hester Ann Rogers in 1841 in Fort Madison, Iowa. Many indigenous people died of malaria which was brought to America by the Europeans. Therefore, she had no innate immunity and quickly succumbed to the disease. The inscription on her gravestone reads, "Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way." This is a Blackfoot proverb. My husband and I purchased this gravestone for Hester, who otherwise would have been forgotten. Her little daughter Christiana, who died at age 2, is buried in the same cemetery. Her husband Thomas Fitzgerald was a Civil War veteran. He was buried in a military cemetery in Kansas. They had four other children who survived to adulthood.
    Gussie