Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Martha Stephens Rogers and Hester Rogers

Hi Bill,

The 1840 census, which was begun on June 1, 1840, included the Iowa Territory, as Iowa did not become a state until 1846. In this census, male heads of household were counted, including the number of foreigners (not naturalized) in a household. So if Dean Rogers was in Iowa Territory in 1840, he would have been included, as either a head of household or a foreigner from Canada. However, it is unlikely he would have been shown as a member of another person's household because he was a 30-year-old adult male in 1840. Therefore, if he was in Iowa Territory in 1840, he would have been counted as an adult male.

You previously said that Dean Rogers does not appear on the 1840 Iowa census. Martha Stephens, as a female, would not have been counted in this census unless she was named as a member of a household headed by a male. She was unlikely to be listed as a dependent to a male head of household in 1840 because she was 29 years old at the time. I have already established Martha's parentage from a credible family document and the fact that she was not married prior to her marriage to Dean Rogers.

However, on January 7, 1841, Dean Rogers and Martha Stephens were married in Rome (Henry County), Iowa. The fact that Dean Rogers was not in Iowa in 1840, but was married in Iowa the very first week in January, 1841, opens the possibility that he knew Martha Stephens before coming to Iowa. Martha Stephens and Dean Rogers may have known each other beforehand and come to Iowa together. The fact that they married the very first week in January, 1841, but there is no record of a Dean Rogers in 1840 Iowa Territory, lends suppport to this theory.

The official enumeration day of the 1840 census was June 1, 1840. The count was due within nine months, but the due date was extended to allow completion within eighteen months. This means that the count did not even begin until June 1, 1840, and was originally due on March 1, 1841 (9 months later). Because of delays, the final count was extended until December 1, 1841. This lends further support to the theory that, as Dean Rogers was not in Iowa Territory during the latter half of 1840, but was married there the first week in January, 1841, it is possible that he and Martha traveled there together.
    Gussie

Emmor Jefferson Stephens, b.1777 Md, had a son Emmor Jefferson Stephens, b. 21 Feb 1819 Jefferson Co., Ind, after moving from the area of Magginess (McGinness? ) Ferry, Va.
    Emmor Jr lived in Cedar Co., Iowa in 1850. This is 2 counties north of Des Moines Co where Martha Stephens m'd.

Emmor Sr appears on the 1817 Repubican Twp Election list in Jefferson Co., Ind, dated "1st Monday in June 1817", held at Amos Chitwood's house (this was about 1 mile south of Kent, Ind)

Emor Stephens is listed on the 1820 Jefferson Co., Ind Census, p.10, and his household contained:
    2 males under 10.
    1 male 10 to 15.
    1 male 16 to 18.
    1 male over 45.
    2 females under 10 (Rachel & Martha?)
    1 female 26 to 44.

Emmor Jr m'd Elizabeth MARRY on 9 July 1835 in Harrison Co., Ind, 2 counties downriver from Jefferson Co, and appears on Harrison Co's 1840 census.
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for finding 9-year-old Martha Stephens (my great-great-grandmother) and her father Emor Stephens on the 1820 Jefferson County, Indiana census. I have a question about Dean Rogers, whom Martha married on January 7, 1841, in Iowa Territory. We have already established that this Dean Rogers was not listed on the 1840 Iowa census.

Martha Stephens apparently spent at least part of her childhood in Indiana, as shown by the 1820 Jefferson County, Indiana census.

The U.S. Federal Census records show the following for Dean Rogers: in each of the following years, 1820, 1830 and 1840, there was ONE Dean Rogers on the U.S. Federal Census records. My great-great-grandfather Dean Rogers would only have been 10 or 11 years old in 1820, if indeed he was even in the U.S. However, the Dean Rogers listed on the 1820 U.S. Federal Census could have been his father, also named Dean Rogers. Likewise, in 1830, if Dean was still living at home as a dependent, the Dean Rogers listed in the 1830 U.S. Federal Census could have been his father. This is assuming that the Rogers family had already left Canada and were living in the U.S. by 1820.

I think there is some plausibility to this because we know that Dean Rogers and Martha Stephens must have met prior to 1840. Dean Rogers would not have been absent from the 1840 Iowa Census and then married Martha Stephens in Iowa the first week in January 1841. He must have met her somewhere else in the United States prior to 1841 and they traveled there together to get married in 1841.

I need to know if the Dean Rogers listed in the 1820, 1830 and 1840 U.S. Federal Census was my great-great-grandfather's father, also named Dean Rogers. Also, I need to know where he lived. If he lived in Indiana, that would explain where his son Dean met Martha Stephens.

In 1840 there is still only one Dean Rogers listed in the U.S. Federal Census. It isn't until 1850 that the U.S. Federal Census lists TWO "Dean Rogers." We know that one of these is my great-great-grandfather who was listed on the Iowa census in 1850. The other Dean Rogers may be his father, who was not living in Iowa, but in another state.

I would like to know in what state the Dean Rogers listed in the 1820, 1830 and 1840 census lived in the United States. This could very well be my great-great-great-grandfather Dean Rogers, whose son Dean married Martha Stephens in Iowa in January 1841.

On the 1860 and 1870 U.S. Federal Census, three Dean Rogers are listed. I know that one of these was my great-great-grandfather Dean Rogers who was married to Martha Stephens. In 1880, the U.S. Federal Census shows only two Dean Rogers. I know that my great-great-grandfather Dean Rogers died sometime after 1870 but prior to 1880, because his widow Martha Stephens Rogers was listed as a widow, head of household, on the 1880 Iowa census. This would explain why the number of Dean Rogers in the U.S. Federal Census decreased from 3 in 1870 to 2 in 1880.

My main question is in what state did the Dean Rogers listed in the 1820, 1830 and 1840 U.S. Federal Census live? He may be my great-great-great-grandfather.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Gussie

Census listings for Dean Rogers:
    1820 Barnstable Co., Mass.
    1830 Rutherford Co., Tenn (maybe the 1820 guy)
    1840 Rutherford Co., Tenn

1850 Rutherford Co., Tenn Census; p.298A
    Dean Rogers, 64, m, - , Cooper, $0, NH
    Purity..........., 50, f, - ,NC
    Nancy.........., 19, f, - , Tn
    John............, 17, m, - , Tn
    Mariah........., 13, f, - , Tn

"Dean" is a surname.

Hi Bill,

It appears as if there is no connection between this Dean Rogers and my great-great-grandfather Dean Rogers. How can I learn who Dean Rogers' parents were? Is there any way you can determine this with the resources you use? I know that Dean Rogers was born in 1809-10 in Lake George, Canada. Lake George is in New York, but at that time it must have been considered within Canada's borders.
    Gussie

I have no resources for Canada.
    Do a 'google' search for the province and include the word genealogy in the search term and look thru those results.

Hi Bill,

Iowa law prior to 1880 did not require death certificates. Beginning in 1880, death certificates were required but this law was only sporadically observed. It was not until 1920 that the federal government began requiring death certificates.

A source I contacted in Iowa is going to look for Martha Stephens Rogers in the 1885 and 1895 Iowa census records. He is attempting to narrow my search in terms of when she died. She was living in Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa, when she passed away. We know she was a widow in 1880 because she was listed as a widow on the census of that year. When my source has a better approximation of the year she died, he is going to check microfiche records of local newspapers and cemeteries in Lee County, Iowa. If he can find an obituary of Martha's death, or a cemetery record of her interment, this will help him determine Dean's date of death and where he is buried. I know that he died sometime in the 1870s. I am hoping there is a gravestone for them, but there may not be. At any rate, my source is checking not only cemetery and gravestone records, but obituaries published in local newspapers which are stored on microfiche.

Dean Rogers was born on January 17, 1810, in Canada, and Martha Stephens Rogers was born on July 17, 1811, in Virginia. They were married in Henry Country, Iowa, on January 7, 1841. Thanks to you, Bill, I know the names of their three children, Hester, Georgietta, and Ada M. (Madlen). All of this information will help my researcher in Iowa. This may take some time, but it is a promising lead.

I am attempting to learn even more by contacting a descendant of the Dean Rogers you located in Rutherford County, Tennessee. His name is Jim Rogers. He is also researching his ancestry and indicated he has a tintype of his ancestor Dean Rogers. Even though this Rutherford County, Tennessee Dean Rogers is not my great-great-great-grandfather, he may be another relative, such as a distant cousin. As you said, Dean is a surname, so I have a Dean line, as well as a Rogers line, to investigate.
    Gussie

I am continuing to research Martha and Dean Rogers. The Donnellson Public Library (Lee County), Donnellson, Iowa, has a record of Georgietta Rogers marrying Charles Coburn, on May 8, 1879. Georgietta is the second daughter of Martha and Dean Rogers, and my great-aunt. I still have not determined the dates of death for my great-great-grandparents, Dean and Martha Rogers, or my great-grandmother, Hester Rogers.

There is a Native American Museum in Fort Madison (Lee County), Iowa, which has many interesting artifacts and historical information. Although the internet is extremely useful, I plan to visit Lee County, Iowa, to do more research.
    Gussie

Notes on Lee Co., Ia:

County was formed in 1836 from Des Moines Co., Ia

This county has TWO courthouses,
    1) 701 Avenue F
    Ft. Madison, Ia 52627

2) Keokuk, Ia 52632
    (sorry, no address)

County begain keeping....
    Birth records in 1880.
    Marriage records in 1837.
    Death records in 1880.
    Land records in 1830.
    Probate records in 1841.
    Court records in 1849.

FYI,

My folks were/are all in Jackson and Jones county, IA, arriving from 1840 to 1852 from OH and PA. Before that, they were in WV and MD.

Techteach

Hi Bill,

Thank you for letting me know that there are two courthouses in Lee County, Iowa. I am familiar with both Fort Madison and Keokuk, and can easily find both courthouses.

You listed the dates Lee County began keeping six different types of records. I will check all six records, beginning with the dates such records were instituted. For example, if I cannot find a death or probate record, I may be able to find a marriage or land record. I can then cross-reference my results. Your notes on Lee County are a great starting point.
    Gussie

Hi techteach,

My Stephens ancestors were from Virginia and Maryland. Your ancestors settled north of Lee County. I am familiar with both Jackson and Jones Counties. Jackson County, in particular, is very picturesque because of the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River.
    Gussie

Gussie:

I too know Jackson and Jones counties. I grew up in Jones and went to football games and the dentist in Maquoketa. I have a cousin in Maquoketa right now who was raised to know he was mixed and was taught the language and culture. He helps me study genealogy.

However, the only reason I posted this information is because some of your people briefly lived in Jackson County, as I understand previous postings. Here is the quote from Bill:

"1850 Jackson Co., Ia Census; South Fork Twp; 29 Oct; p.359A & B; family # 1152:
    Adolphus TAILOR; 43, m, - , farmer, $200, NY
    Alvira..................; 43, f, - , Mass.
    Adaline...............; 19, f, - , NY
    Philip ROGERS; 14, m, - , Canada.
    John...............; 11, m, - , Canada.
    Harriet............; 8, f, - , Canada.
    William D.........; 2, m, - , Iowa.

1850 Jackson Co., Ia Census; Town of Maquoketa; 28 Oct; p.361A
    family # 1183:
    William ROGERS; 32, m, - , Shoemaker; $200, Canada
    Eliza.................; 31, f, - , Ireland.
    Martha DARLING; 14, f, - , Canada.
    Sarah................; 10, f, - , Canada.
    Edward H..........; 4 months, m, - , Iowa.
    Joseph SMITH; 35, m, - , Joiner; $0, Canada.
    Martha A........; 19, f, - , Canada.

1850 Clinton Co., Ia Census; Elk River Dist 5; 25 Sept; p.198A; family # 231:
    Lewis F. ROGERS; 33, m, - , farmer, $700, Canada West
    Mariah................; 30, f, - , Vt. (as "Sarah M" in 1860)
    Hascal................; 10, m, - , Canada
    Sarah A..............; 8, f, - , Canada
    Josephine...........; 4, f, - , Canada
    Benj. L................; 2, m, - , Iowa"

And the lines of people I come from come from Maryland and Virginia also, as well as PA. Perhaps there is a reason that your people were there for a time. My first ones arrived in 1840 and the last group arrived in 1852. They were definitely mixed people. The story is that they were Cherokee Blackfoot, however, that is not the language that my cousin remembers.

Techteach

Gussie:
    A couple of links I have explored with Canada were the settlement of Scotch Grove, in Jones but very near Jackson, by refugees of the Red River, settlers of Lord Selkirk. You can google that incident and explore that a bit. Here is a web site that describes this : http://www.rootsweb.com/~iajones/his...t/corbitt3.htm Interestingly enough, the Presbyterian minister of Lee County also served these people.
    Also, I have explored another Canadian resource. One of my people, still buried in Jackson County, came from very near the Canadian border in NY. If some of my folks crossed the border, as with Joseph Brandt following the Am. Rev. (Some of my people are linked to his sister and brothers who stayed in this country.), the cemeteries of Brantford, where they settled are online. Again, you can google those and see if your surnames are there.

Techteach

Dear Bill and Techteach,

Thank you both for this information, which is very helpful. The reason I am going to Lee County, Iowa, is to locate my direct ancestors.

Techteach, if the language your cousin remembers was not Cherokee Blackfoot, what language was it? I am certain everyone would like to know.
    Gussie