Thread: Blackfoot/Cherokee/Saponi

Blackfoot/Cherokee/Saponi

I appreciate everyone that has responded and will respond to my search:
    my great grandmother was Rebecca Elizabeth Edwards (pronounced Ederds) she was born July 20, 1868 in Stokes County or Surry Co NC, she died August 15, 1952 in Mt Airy NC, she was married September 19, 1888 in Carroll County, VA. she married William Raleigh (Rawley) Davis. They lived in Fancy Gap,VA and Wythe Co, VA among other places. In a Quaker book on the Davis family it says her father was Effon Edwin. I have always been told it was Eben Edwards. Family say she had an Indian name but no one remembers it. Her brother George and her may have been taken in by a white family according to what I've been told. My great aunt, Her youngest daughter told me before she died that Rebecca was Cherokee and her mother's mothers name was Rhoda Davis, we have been told it was Lydia Dunagin. Due to her advanced age and hearing condition that was all I could find out. A cousin of mine says my grandfather said that his mother was blackfoot Indian. I have also been told that we could have Saponi heritage. Unfortunately, our Indian heritage was kept secret and everyone in my family that may have known the truth has passed away.

William Rawley (Raleigh) Davis was born June 18, 1867 in Tazewell Co VA, died April 15 1939 Pilot Mountain in Surry Co NC, he was the son of
    Andrew (Andy) C. Davis and Nancy (Minnie) Felts;

I have been told that the Allens and Easters of Carroll County/Surry County area are kin too.

This census is dated 22 June, so Rebecca would still have been 1 y/o....

1870 Surry Co., NC Census; Mt. Airy Twp; P.O. Mt. Airy, NC; S.W. Subdivision; 22 June; p.5:
    Household 33:

EDWARDS, EBEN, 52, m, W, Farmer, $100, $125, NC *******
    ............., Lydia, 42, f, W, NC
    ............., Melinda, 18, f, NC
    ............., Luiza, 16, f, NC
    ............., Martha, 14, f, NC
    ............., Ezra, 8, m, NC
    ............., William, 6, m, NC
    ............., Sarah, 3, f, NC
    ............., REBECCA, 1, f, NC ******* (not one in Stokes Co)

Surry County North Carolina Marriage Bonds:
    Ebenezer EDWARDS and Lidia DUNAGAN
    Bond Date: 29 May 1848.
    Bond # 144329.
    Bondsman: Logan D. ROBERTS.

Eben/Ebenezer's father is probably Elisha Edwards, b.abt. 1786/88 Va, but poss. b. NC - don't know yet.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the information

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Seeing possible connections to a line I'm researching.

Shorten Smith 1762-1836 Tazewell VA who had a 1780s land grant on Pilot Mountain listed in Annals of SW Virginia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annals_of_sw_virginia.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1026

Shorten and Effon seem uncommon names. This line is Quaker as well, possibly West Jersey Quakers. Shorten Smith's mother is listed as Joanna Davis 1738-abt1800 and father Isiah Smith 1742-1815 passed in Montgomery VA.

Allen and Felts are associated lines for us as well.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White