Thread: Hardin, Harden, Harding

Hardin, Harden, Harding

I have been searching for a few decades now for my great-grandmother's family.
    My great grandmother was Arrainy Harding (Arana, Arena ??), b. 1825 in Va. She married James Wm. Kasinger, b. 1825 in KY, we believe in Missouri, for that is where their children were born. She is buried in the Thacker Cemetery near Mtn. Home, Baxter County, AR, but the year of her passing is not known. The courthouse there burned down in 1920.
    She was, according to family members, a full blood Cherokee lady who spoke both Cherokee and English. One of her daughters, America, married William Biggers. These were my grandparents.
    As I said, I've been searching for many years for Grandma Arrainy's family. So far as I know, they don't appear on any of the major Rolls. When I found this website and saw so many familiar surnames, there was a glimmer of hope that perhaps someone may have information on the Harding family.
    Adadoligi,
    Nadine

Nadine,

Here's what Paul Heinegg says about the Hardin/Harden/Harding family:

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Hammond_Hawley.htm

Members of the Harden family of North Carolina were

i. Solomon, born say 1760, taxable on one poll in the 1784 Sampson County tax list [L.P. 64.1 by N.C. Genealogy XIV:2172]. He was head of a Robeson County household of 6 "other free" in 1790 [NC:49], 10 in 1800 [NC:383] and 10 in 1810 [NC:239]. He was called a "yeoman of Richmond County, North Carolina, Husband of Delaney Order (alias Harden), wife of Peter Order, Deceased," on 25 October 1791 when he and his wife gave power of attorney to Robert Webb to receive the final settlement for Revolutionary War service of his wife's deceased husband [NCGSJ XIV:114].

ii. David Harden, head of a Sampson County household of 12 "other free" in 1800 [NC:501].

iii. Benjamin, one of the freeholders of Sampson County who were ordered to work on the road from the courthouse to Drew's Ford on 15 February 1797 with (his brother?) Sion Harden, Henry Harden, John Manuel, and Larry Manuel [Minutes 1784-1800, 225]. He was head of a Sampson County household of 9 "other free" in 1800 [NC:510] and was counted as head of a household of 5 white males and 5 white females in 1810 [NC:486].

iv. Sion, head of Sampson County household of 4 white males and 3 white females in 1810 [NC:486] and 11 "free colored" in 1820 [NC:308].

v. Abraham, charged in Sampson County court on 13 August 1799 with begetting a bastard child by Loretta Odum [Minutes 1784-1800, 272]. He was head of a Sampson County household of 4 "other free" in 1800 [NC:501] and 9 "free colored" in 1820 [NC:308].

1 vi. Lucy, born say 1770.

1. Lucy Harden, born say 1770, delivered a bastard child but refused to identify the father in Sampson County court on 14 August 1787 [Minutes 1784-1800, 65]. She was head of an Anson County household of 5 "free colored" in 1820 (called Lucy Harding) [NC:12]. She may have been the mother of the members of the Harding family counted as "free colored" in Anson County in 1820:

i. Jacob, head of a household of 3 males and __females [NC:12].

ii. John, head of a household of one "free colored" man and 2 white women [NC:12].

Nadine,

Hope this helps. Hardin is one of my lines. It's been many years since I researched my Hardin line, but as I recall, I believe they came from Isle of Wight, Virginia in the early 1700's and that one was a member of the House of Burgesses (sp?). Quite a few intermarried with the Brewingtons and are buried in the Brewington family cemetary near Clinton, NC.

Coharie Roy

There is a Harden family assoc. in Crewe Va, you may ask them to help.
    Roy thanx for the info on the Hardens that you posted, it looks like I have a couple names there that are later found in Tn !

Hi Roy,
    I've been researching some Hardin reklatives, the Manuels (or Emanuels) who move out to the Midwest and end up in Vigo Co., Indiana. They descend from one or two marriages between male Manuels and female Hardins, and, as you are probably aware, a couple of them apply to the Guion Miller commission.

I'll probably be going out there in the next month or so to take some photos of the old graveyard and do a little on site research. There are apparently still some descendants in the area. Other NC families who ended up in that area were Bells, Locklears, Underwoods, and Russels, among others.

Coharie Roy and Tom, thank you for the information. I'm not 100% sure if this Harden family is mine because the information ends shortly before my great-grandma Arany was born and I can't connect them. I plan to write the Hardin/Harden/Harding Family Association.
    Thank you for responding. I've been searching for more than 30 years and am no further than when I first began. It seems as though that family wanted to disappear, and is it any wonder considering the political climate at that time?
    Adadoligi,
    Nadine

I'm in the same Hardin (en-ing) family as Tom. Our familiy migration started in the Carolinas, then they went to Tennessee, then to Indiana, then Wisconsin, then Iowa and Nebraska. Tom's people went north to Canada and mine came out West to Oregon.

Barb, My Hardings went from Va to KY, to MO and AR. Upon talking to my niece, she thinks the family Coharie mentions is indeed ours. We just have to connect my great-grandmother to the information. Way back when, I theorized that ggrandma's mother may have been a slave. Little did I realize this could well be the truth! I think it's awesome to learn I may well be tri-colored. This genealogy thing can be so terribly frustrating, yet when you find even a tidbit of information, it makes all the hours and money spent worthwhile. Adadoligi! Nadine Spring Rain

I hope you find the connection you are looking for.

For a time we thought that we might be tri-racial too because the census listed our Hardings as black, mulatto and then finally white. But our DNA test came back ...no black. Only NA and white.

Indians were often listed as black or mulatto in the various census.

Harding/Harden/Hardin

Dovelady, A friend of mine and I are giving serious thought to having our DNA done. Would you email me privately and tell me the details of having this test done?
    Thanks!

Nadine, I'm not sure, but the people Coharie Roy just outlined may not have ever been slaves. The "free" persons of color were often the children of white servant women by men of color. Those fathers may have been slaves, either Indian or black. Or those fathers could have been free men of color, either Indian or black. Then others of those families had no traceable mention of a white parent, male or female. They may have been African or Indian, or both, in their descent. The governmental records were intentionally vague on this, deliberately preferring to see Indian people categorized as black.

There's been a lot of debate about this. I'm not sure how open Paul Heinegg has been to questions about his titling the work, "Free African Americans" since there are many people mentioned for which there is no proof they had any African heritage.

The kind of DNA test Dovelady did is probably the best evidence anyone can have at this point. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate that many generations back.

<>

We all know science can mess up big time. , but in this case, it does confirm our familily's oral traditions. I don't know if it works for everyone or not, but I do know it worked for us. Like all things science, there is always a margin for error though.

I used the same kind of DNA test. Its results supported what I believed from genealogy.

Techteach

Nadine,
    Have you stumbled across Reuben "Harton" , b.abt. 1804 Va., who was in 1850 Texas Co., Mo (James Wm "Kisinger" and Araney were in 1860 Texas Co., Mo. ) ?
    Reuben's wife Ellen was b.abt. 1805 Va. They moved to Missouri from Virginia between 1842 and 1848 according to their children's census birthplaces and ages. This Reuben "Harton" could be a Horton, Harton, Hardin, Harding, etc. They're the only ones near your Kasinger ( "Caysinger" in 1850 Ripley Co., Mo with James Wm's purported father Soloman next door) that fall within phonetic variations.
    Bill
    .............edited.
    Further research shows Reuben "Harton" to be Reuben Harlow, b. 1804 Nelson Co., Va; m'd Eleanor Thorp 21 Mar 1825 in Nelson Co., Va. Reuben's the son of Nathaniel Harlow per an 1815 Will in Nelson Co., Va, so unless Arrainy's surname was Harlow, Reuben's eliminated.
    James Wm Kasinger's purported father Soloman is in 1840 Wayne Co., Mo and lived about 40 houses away from Robert W. Harden (age range 30 to 39), and next door to him was a Thomas M. Harden (age range 20 to 29), neither were found anywhere later.
    bc