Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POWELL - Knox Co., Ky

In the knob land of south central Kentucky
    Hi can anyone help! I am trying to find if my line of the Powells are native american. As far as I have gotten back is Levi Powell b 1799 Nc married Anna Laws 1835. His son Thomas b abt 1825, his son Peter Powell 1845. Most of them lived in Knox county Ky . Does anyone know any thing about these Powells? Darlene

Go-to that family's surname forum on genealogy.com and seach on "knox" and then look for postings by James Powell and you'll find Levi's ancestors's have been here for quite some time. Levi came to Knox County Ky from NC by way of Anderson County, Tenn., where he grew up. You'll have to "Dig Some".

Thanks Bill! I have been there and done that. I am starting on any of my family I can find to see where it leads me. The really big mystery in my family is if Princess Cornblossom really lived. And who in the world is Jane Vanderpool who was the wife of of william Green Henderson both from NC. He is my GGGGGrandpa and did he steal her from her NA tribe. Darlene

Use the 'search' button above and search on 'cornblossom'.

I don't know if this helped or not. At least I tried.

The reason I am trying to find out about the powells is because Cratherine Powell who married Gale Brackett was my great grandmother. I don't remember her but one of my older sisters does. She was about 6 or seven and they had gone to the house to see great grand ma. Judy (my sister) said they walked up to a bed that had a side rail on it. She said there was this big dark manly hand on the side board and when the person pulled themself up into a sitting position she thought it was a man. She said the lady was what we call rawboned ,dark conplexion and had a long horse face. Everyone said she was the meanest woman in Casey county. I am not trying to put her down , I am just repeating what I have always heard. One of my cousins said she was a beautiful woman when she was young. My grand pa on my mothers side said she was a great woman. His dad George Mathews died when grandpa was young. He would go to visit the Barcketts (my dad people) and when he stepped in the door the first thing my great grand mother would say was "Dee would you like something to eat?" Which he always did. I'll keep looking and maybe someday it will all come together. Darlene

Hey granny8, my cousin, Jim Morley, has Powells from Virginia reported by the family to be Indian.

He has a John I Powell, b, 1644, Old Rappahannock, Virginia, m. 1668, d. 1698

Robert Powell, b, 1669, Orange, Virginia, m. 1696, d. 1698

Ambrose Powell, b. 1713, Spotia, Orange Co., VA m. 1652; d. 1788, Culpepper Co., VA

Robert Powell, b, 1653, Culpepper, VA m 1779, d 1788, Culpepper Co., VA.

Margaret Peggy Powell, b., 1774, Shenandoah, Virginia, d. 1864, Monroe Co., Ohio

I don't know if this is at all helpful being they were in Virginia. Also, Richard Haithcock, a researcher in Ohio and prominent in the Ohio Saponi nation, lists Powell as a name that's come up often in his research of Indian families in the southeast.

Hi Linda The oldest name I have is Levi born 1799 in NC married to Anna Laws. That is what I found on one of the Casey County boards. I have not been able to find him in NC myself. But then I have no idea who his parents were. They lived in Powell hollow in Bell county Ky when G-grandma was born. And was said to be a sort of ruff bunch. They were always in trouble with the law. They were also involved with the making of white lighting. I don't know if you would want to be kin to this bunch! LOL

Darlene

Did you contact Betty Renfroe like i said she might be able to help.

Google Standridge and Renfroe this will take you to her site search her data base on the Powell's if you see something contact her for more info i see you mention Bracketts, there were Bracketts that married into the cherokee Wilkerson.

I suggest anybody looking for native connections or otherwise to search her data base you just might find something.

Cowboy, I went to her site and none of the names match any I have . But I am going to contact her and see if any lived in powell hollow. That seems to be where they all settled at. I will keep digging! Darlene

Powell

I descend from a Sarah Powell who married Wm Trent,
    Wm's father and grandfather are Henrys.
    His father's brother, Alexander, had his son Wm D. Trent
    and possibly one other by a Cherokee maiden.
    He had 2-3 marriages.

Magnolia

Magnolia

Is any of these people you are talking about in Betty Renfroe Data Base?

Powell

No . I never heard of that data base.

Powells NA

My Sarah Powell's husband Henry Trent had a brother Alexander who was married to a Cherokee and had a Son wm D. Trent by her and possibly on other son Henry Jr.
    His other children were by 1-2 other mothers.

Genealogy search sites

I found Don Green's Shawnee traditions site to be very interesting and
    there is a Powell site
    Days Unforgotten Database
    Also, my Sarah Powell ( I'm still looking for her parents) was married in campbell Co. VA 11-12-1787 and there is a book called:marriages of 1782-1810 by two ladies.
    Also, yesterday I found one of the ealiest VA census records and recognized
    numerous VA/NC families with sometimes unusual spellings.
    It was the Quit Rent Rolls (rootsweb.com/~vanewken/1704va.txt)

Bollings married to Sizemores.
    Mahala Bolling married Sizemore Bolling
    John Bolling married Susan Sizemore -note " 1784-1848
    (f)George Sizemore (m) Agnes Shepherd

The Maddox Root Cellar ( looks new)