Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: POWELL - Knox Co., Ky

1. Quote Originally Posted by granny8 View Post
    Hi can anyone help! I am trying to find if my line of the Powells are native american. As far as I have gotten back is Levi Powell b 1799 Nc married Anna Laws 1835. His son Thomas b abt 1825, his son Peter Powell 1845. Most of them lived in Knox county Ky . Does anyone know any thing about these Powells? Darlene
    Levi Powell's parents were Elijah Powell and Morning/Mourning Wilson

Morning Wilson's family were Quakers. For more iinformation

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Quote Originally Posted by TaraBrooks6866 View Post
    Levi Powell's parents were Elijah Powell and Morning/Mourning Wilson

Morning Wilson's family were Quakers. For more iinformation
    Hi Tara, welcome to SaponiTown.

Do you know what Monthly Meeting Elijah Powell and Mourning Wilson attended?
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

3. Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post

Unfortunately I don't know which meetings house they attended. I do know that Morning's family were Quakers and ancestry has some of those records.

Her parents were William Wilson and Mary Moore.

They were from Perquimans County, North Carolina

Here's the link I have in my ancestry app to one of Mary's Quaker meetinghouse records

http://sharing.ancestry.com/9194646?h=9cd7c7

I don't have a monthly account with ancestry to access it but anyone on here who does can view it.

I hope this helps. William and Mary are my 6th Great Grandparents through Levi Powell's mother.

My family always said we were Cherokee through the Powell line and we think it came through Morning Wilson.

I've read that the Quakers had good relationships with the Cherokee and sometimes married members of the tribe.

I don't know if that's accurate or not but that's what read.

Elijah Powell's parent's are Henry Powell and Elizabeth Roberts.
    Last edited by TaraBrooks6866; 09-02-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: adding information

4. Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post

I am so sorry for not seeing this sooner. I don't know which meeting house they attended but Elijah and Mourning were married in Randolph County, North Carolina in 1794. I hope this helps.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Randolph County is where many of my ancestors are, Perquimans is a location DNA cousins (Elliott) tie to me too. These are Quaker lines whose descendants are living in central locations for what became the Underground Railroad.

Looking at Quaker records they were at Center Monthly Meeting in 1782 - Guilford NC. This meeting is tied to other meetings like Deep River and New Garden. These are all meetings that have families with oral history of Native American descent. There is definitely inter-marriage in Quaker lines, and it seems an effort to record and disguise identity at the same time.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White