Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Regalia Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    As far as Ulm/Uln goes I do not have any in my direct line. I don't recall mentioning it, but will keep an eye out for it in future. Strictly speaking we do not have Truax/Trax/Trux in our direct line either. Through stories and pictures from our Coppock line we knew Truax as cousins. However, we only have De Trieux as a name in our direct tree - from 1600s New Amsterdam - before it became New York.

All these lines came together with the 1883 marriage of Almon Marshall and Mary Coppock in our tree. Maybe the violin thing is a stereotype, but my mother is a violinist and plays a violin gifted to her by her great-uncle Henry Marshall, who would be 10x g-grandson to Phillipe De Trieux who died 1653 in New Amsterdam. Wouldn't be suprised to find a link to Uln/Denne/Wells somewhere on that line.
    Thanks again Marc and such an interesting place to work! Im glad you are involving your daughter/s and getting more into it in that way!
    As far as the names, I do have a Philippe Antoni Trieux

1586–1653
    Birth JULY 18, 1586 • Roubaix, Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
    Death 1653 • New Amstredam, New Netherlands

in my line?
    ~suthainn
    Maternal - Strickland, Roper, Bennett, Mullins, Bond, Holder, Bunch, Blaylock/Blalock, Richards, Hotchkiss, Northsinger, Cummins, Myers, Wright

Paternal - Sabin, Hair, Uln, Ostrander, Bennett, Bull, Truax

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries

Hey cuz

Yes we are cousins. Wondering if you see any connection to this line: Skinner Smith Monmouth
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Trax

Quote Originally Posted by suthainn View Post
    Thanks again Marc and such an interesting place to work! Im glad you are involving your daughter/s and getting more into it in that way!
    As far as the names, I do have a Philippe Antoni Trieux

1586–1653
    Birth JULY 18, 1586 • Roubaix, Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
    Death 1653 • New Amstredam, New Netherlands
    My maiden name is Trax. Do you see the surnames Link or Gass in your tree at all? My family comes from Alsace-Lorraine, France.
    The Kutz/Trax Genealogy Database

Maternal Surnames
    Grandfather: Beaumont, Fitzgerald, Green, Hurtford, Landon, Pickering, Robbins
    Grandmother: Blinzig,Herboldt, Hildebrand, Hirsch, Kahler, Kuno, Roth, Wilhelm

Paternal Surnames
    Grandfather:
    Gass, Henry, Hogue, Kleinfelter, Moorhead, Trax, Van Houten, White
    Grandmother: Borden, Davis, Downing, Hughes, Huston, Roberts, Thomas

September powwow

We made it to our September powwow here in southern Kansas and had just a few pictures to share since I had posted the regalia I had worked on for it ! My youngest daughter in her purple regalia, my youngest and I in the next picture (was dressing her in her fancy shawl), my middle daughter in the last 2 photos in her yellow water bird dress and crown. It was a good powwow, but tiring. Got to see some old friends we haven't seen for a few years. The next one is in November and we are already making more things to get ready for that one !
    ~suthainn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1917.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1926.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1921.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1927.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	868
    Maternal - Strickland, Roper, Bennett, Mullins, Bond, Holder, Bunch, Blaylock/Blalock, Richards, Hotchkiss, Northsinger, Cummins, Myers, Wright

How was your new regalia received? Were there any comments or people who wanted to hear about your eastern roots?
    Paternal: Dalton, Simpkins, Phillips, Montgomery, Goad, Cox, Quesenberry, Slinker, Strange, Jennings, White, Reed, Duncan, Green, Wade, Johnson, Lawrence,
    Maternal: Newton, Meadows, Lunsford, Satterfield, Jones, Mann, Hailey, Clements, Cozart, Howard, Mangum, Williams, Allen, Grant, Walker, Groves, Canaday, Talley, Rice, Glenn, Richardson, Winn, Bumpass, Gabriel, Tucker, Coleman, Collins, Lewis, Holiday, Miller, Moore, Beasley, Trotter, Evans, Day, Farrar, Lyon, Martin,

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaminghawk View Post
    How was your new regalia received? Were there any comments or people who wanted to hear about your eastern roots?
    Dreaminghawk,
    I had people I have known for years, who never really spoke to me, open up and ask me about the regalia and the Saponi. I had a great pride and I think they saw it. My Kiowa friends, whom I hadn't seen for a few years, saw a change and told me they loved the regalia. I felt happy and whole and unafraid of what anyone would say or think and I experienced nothing negative.
    You and many others here have been patient with my questions and words of being wary, unsure and jaded feelings of how I have been treated before.
    Things have changed for me, its all in a new light and I think many around me and my family can see it. I felt respected. I will continue to fill my head with knowledge and my life with learning to create and collect everything about the Saponi I can. I have begun to make regalia for the grandchildren and pass on what little I do know so they can carry it on.
    Thank you for being my friend and giving me little nudges now and again, reminders to be happy within myself.
    ~suthainn

Blog Entries

Necklace

Name:	WP_20150912_01_02_56_Pro.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	870

This is a small necklace my wife and I made for our daughter. I drilled the shell and added the color, my wife strung the necklace. I'm not sure if it is totally traditional by Eastern Siouan standards. I think my wife and I are strongly influenced by the years we spent in New Mexico.

Beautiful necklace Marc! Absolutely love it. Done very very well!!

I wanted to share my newest/not new skirt, regalia. Nearly finished....
    With help from my Haliwa-Saponi cousins and now knowing I am most likely (unproven yet) Tuscarora as well, I have been working on my newest regalia.
    I so love the buckskin skirt I have and wanted to incorporate it. Keeping with the use of traditional Saponi colors and adding the use of the "Tiara" the Haliwa's and Tuscarora's use, instead of all cloth, I made it all Buckskin except the shirt and woven belt/sash.
    Also using paint as well as beading for decoration and washers, spots, ribbons, etc.
    I can not wait to wear it!

Name:	Saponi Regalia Buckskin.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	952

Blog Entries

Nice regalia

That looks very well done! It has all the medicine wheel colors in a subtle, natural way.

Thanks for the compliment on the necklace! I've been looking for some original art to use here on Saponi Town to jazz up the pages a bit. So I took the center part of the necklace and turned it into an icon.
    Now on main forum page it has this icon Name:  forum_old48.png
Views: 26
Size:  8.9 KB instead of Name:  forum_old-48.png
Views: 23
Size:  1.6 KB
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White