Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Known Catawba Surnames.

Your second link is 'on-point' for me. I found this information earlier in my research but was confused nevertheless. I didn't understand how my Native family surnames in SC could be the same names in VA, in early tax records. It's been a confusing journey but enlightening one nevertheless. Thanks for sharing.

Or maybe Saponi before they were Catawba. I'm from the area in VA where the Harris come from and my descandants are from SC were the Catawba come from. My Scotts, Harris, Jones, some Grooms/Jacobs, are said to be 'Virginians' (this is the way my grandmother put it) before they 'ended up' in NC and then SC. She also said they used the 'old trail' a lot. My grandmother passed 5 years ago and I've lost a lot of info that I didn't listen to carefully.

The Cannaday's are from James City, VA and now reside in Charles City, VA - near where I grew up. They've been an active part of the Chickahominy Tribe for a long time now and many Chicakhominies and Pamunkeys are my cousins.

Where in Virginia were your Harrises? I too have Harrises, but I pick them up in Pennsylvania ca 1810 They reported being originally from Virginia and carried a story of being Blackfoot, the Tutelo words for black foot sound like Saxapahaw (NC), which I've written about at www.saponitown.com/Blackfoot.htm.

Are you aware of the documentation of the Saponi going to the Catawba for a spell, then returning to the VA/NC border? It's on site somewhere. The 'old trail' your grandmother talked about was likely the Great Trading Path, which basically follows the old Route 1. A very old stretch of it passes a couple of miles from where I now sit.

I'd like to organize a DNA test (on some more prosperous day than the present) on some of my direct line Harrises with some like yours and see if we match up as cousins.

More questions Catawba & Saponi

I have been digging some more & have fit some pieces together & found that the ones I thought I had were just a pack of lies!! I really need to speak to an Elder who has knowledge of the Ohio Valley, Xenia in particular, because I am certain that my family migrated with the Jeffries and were part of that group. My Scotts are in Scott Cemetary on Eaton Road in Butler County. It is a family cemetary. I do not think Eaton Rd is a coincidence either! I have Eaton's in that part of the family...related to Wm Eaton whose land some of the Saponi people lived on! Along with that I have people migrating from Cane Creek S.C., those names are Cooper, Hibbs, Hawkins, Herron, Hueston, Huston, Cook. They hooked up with Bennett & Collins that LIVED ON THE RUNNER FARM in Monongalia WV...the same farn discussed in the article about "The Guineas of W.V"! I have so much more information but that I have tacked down, sort of. Please Please let me know if you have anyone I can talk to! My Grandmother wrote a book of letters dating back to the 1800's & in that book is information about the women gathering herbs & making medicines to doctor the community. Aunt Jane is mentioned who was AA...but of course not part of the family....another big fat lie......I suspect she was Jane Steele.
    I have Ritchies too....anyway, there has to be someone who has information about the women healers.......I didn't get the gifts I have from a dutch farm girl!!!
    Last edited by Lynneda; 07-02-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: more names

AND...Taylor,Nichols, Robeson, Williamson ( now theres a big fat mess),Tice,Wykcoff,Skillman,Cunningham, (all of those are of mysterious origin Wyckoff being from Bermudu) Berry, Young, Johson,Crull, Utt....and more

6. On ysearch I mismatch one Harris on 3 markers out of 12. Probably not a close relative but that does indicate we shared a common ancestor. The earliest ancestor listed by the Harris match is John Harris born about 1840.

Another that I miss 3 of 12 is Cullum, earliest ancestor Thomas Cullum born 1720 and Hart earliest ancestor unknown.

I mismatch 4 of 12 with the descendant of John Austin b. 1726 Cornwall Parish,Va. I do believe this Austin family was known to be of native American origin

My Harris folks are from the Wateree river, Little and Big Pine Tree Creeks. That's where they were numerous but now most are in Lugoff, Eastover, Hopkins, and Columbia SC. These are the same Harris that were with the Catawba. We have been on the Wateree for over 300 years and we're still there. Linda, yes, Harris are in VA too and I knew many around Louisa VA when I was growing up - I grew up in Richmond VA next to the Chickahominy.

Route 1 is Jefferson Davis Hwy but I'll have to check on it.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneda View Post
    I have been digging some more & have fit some pieces together & found that the ones I thought I had were just a pack of lies!! I really need to speak to an Elder who has knowledge of the Ohio Valley, Xenia in particular, because I am certain that my family migrated with the Jeffries and were part of that group. My Scotts are in Scott Cemetary on Eaton Road in Butler County. It is a family cemetary. I do not think Eaton Rd is a coincidence either! I have Eaton's in that part of the family...related to Wm Eaton whose land some of the Saponi people lived on! Along with that I have people migrating from Cane Creek S.C., those names are Cooper, Hibbs, Hawkins, Herron, Hueston, Huston, Cook. They hooked up with Bennett & Collins that LIVED ON THE RUNNER FARM in Monongalia WV...the same farn discussed in the article about "The Guineas of W.V"! I have so much more information but that I have tacked down, sort of. Please Please let me know if you have anyone I can talk to! My Grandmother wrote a book of letters dating back to the 1800's & in that book is information about the women gathering herbs & making medicines to doctor the community. Aunt Jane is mentioned who was AA...but of course not part of the family....another big fat lie......I suspect she was Jane Steele.
    I have Ritchies too....anyway, there has to be someone who has information about the women healers.......I didn't get the gifts I have from a dutch farm girl!!!
    I believe these are my Hibbs. It also seems after doing more research on my mother;s direct maternal line that her most distant known ancestor is a Huston descendant.

I have had the same questions re Eaton. My ancestors in Xenia have names Heaton and Walburn. I'm wondering if they are not tied to Eaton and Winburn - names I see frequently in research. Cook is also on Rick Haithcock's list of Catawba Surnames. When I speak to him about my ancestors he often asks if they are connected to Jeffries - but I've yet to find a link. Perhaps I should add his list here for reference....

Catawba Surnames - from Rick Haithcock Volume 75

Alexander, Anderson, Austen/Austin, Ayers, Bingham, Beck, Blevins, Blue, Bullen/Bowlin, Bunch, Burnett, Burt / Burton / Burden, Busby, Brown, Canty / Cantey / Kanty, Cato / Catoe / Cates / Cator / Catoes, Chavis / Chavers / Chavous, Connar / Conyer, Cook, Corn, Crone, Cross, Croston, Davis, Day, Dickson, Dolby, Durant, Emanuel, Findley / Findly, Garcia, Gibson, Goins / Goens / Gowing / Goan, Gordon, Guy, Haithcock / Heathcock, Hagler, Harmon (Nanticoke), Hart / Heart, Head, Hill, Hollinger, Houser, Jeffreies/Jeffreys, Jenkins, Joe, Jones, Keen, Kegg / Keggo / Caig, Kelley, Kennedy / Canada, Killen, Kingsburry, Lane, MacIntosh, Marlow, Martin, Mayle / Male / Mail, Mins, Mitchell, Morrison, Mush / Marsh (Pamunkey), Newcomer, New River, Norris, Payne, Parson, Perkins (Nansemond), Pitts, Pruitt, Pompey, Poff, Ramsey, Redhead, Riddle, Ridley/Ridly, Sanders, Scott, Simmons, Sizemore, Stephens, Stills, Studevant, Sweeney, Taber, Tabler, Taborn / Taboun, Taylor, Thimms, Thomas, Thompson, Thore, Walker, Wall, Whittington, Winburn, Williams, Wooten, Young
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

I have Andrew Huston, a mystery. His children say different things about where he was born - KY, VA, PA. Knowing what I know about the mixed claims in southern PA and the fact that there is a Hustonville in that area and that I read a circa 1840-something book that said there was a Mrs Huston living near my Sinkeys, I am betting PA. He was supposed to be mixed.

Techteach
    Grandmother: McLane, Green, Sinkey, McCartney, Potter, Butt, Huston, Ralston, Horner, Davis, DeMoss, French, Beaver, ...

Grandfather: Carpenter, Swearingen, Tomlinson, McMurray, Mount, all from PA area. VA and KY areas - Talbot, Schollars, Gordon, Davis, Walker, Featherkile, Morton, Chiles, Grayson, Davis, Moore, Wright, Johns, Carr, Sisk, Isham, Clayton, Shelton

Paternal is German, documented at Ellis Island.

Catawba Surnames
    - from Rick Haithcock Volume 75

Alexander, Anderson, Austen/Austin, Ayers, Bingham, Beck, Blevins, Blue, Bullen/Bowlin, Bunch, Burnett, Burt / Burton / Burden, Busby, Brown, Canty / Cantey / Kanty, Cato / Catoe / Cates / Cator / Catoes, Chavis / Chavers / Chavous, Connar / Conyer, Cook, Corn, Crone, Cross, Croston, Davis, Day, Dickson, Dolby, Durant, Emanuel, Findley / Findly, Garcia, Gibson, Goins / Goens / Gowing / Goan, Gordon, Guy, Haithcock / Heathcock, Hagler, Harmon (Nanticoke), Hart / Heart, Head, Hill, Hollinger, Houser, Jeffreies/Jeffreys, Jenkins, Joe, Jones, Keen, Kegg / Keggo / Caig, Kelley, Kennedy / Canada, Killen, Kingsburry, Lane, MacIntosh, Marlow, Martin, Mayle / Male / Mail, Mins, Mitchell, Morrison, Mush / Marsh (Pamunkey), Newcomer, New River, Norris, Payne, Parson, Perkins (Nansemond), Pitts, Pruitt, Pompey, Poff, Ramsey, Redhead, Riddle, Ridley/Ridly, Sanders, Scott, Simmons, Sizemore, Stephens, Stills, Studevant, Sweeney, Taber, Tabler, Taborn / Taboun, Taylor, Thimms, Thomas, Thompson, Thore, Walker, Wall, Whittington, Winburn, Williams, Wooten, Young
    Through triangulating DNA matches with surnames and Rick Haithcock's lists things are starting to become a bit clearer. For example I met an Ayers descendant with about a dozen Ayers/Martin family kits tested. When comparing our Indiana Jones-Smith group to his Ayers/Martin I found nearly everyone had a match. I see Ayers in some cousins genealogy. He also mentioned Kelley. Kelley I see more often in cousin's trees. When I compared cousins who were Kelley descendants with the Ayers/Martin group they had bigger matches. Which leads me to think. we are kin to Ayers through the Kelleys.

I didn't realize DeForest Kelley - AKA Bones was a descendant of this line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deforestk.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	1082

This is his father, Ernest David Kelley b.May 13 1883 GA

Name:	ernest_david_kelley.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	1080

When I went back further to his g-grandfather William Kelley I found he is next to Phillip Evans on the 1790 Greenville SC census. Phillip Evans is one of 30 descendants on a list of that census in Rick Haithcock's vol 100.

Name:	william_kelley.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1081
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch

Quote Originally Posted by sammarroq View Post
    My Braggs are from Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, by way of Virginia lol
    Where are yours from?

Mine are out of VA and now WV (Nicholas). I wonder if the early VA Bragg's are related?
    Also seeing Bragg ancestors in the DNA cousins connected to our line:

William Hoyle Bragg b 1780 TN - 1836 Randolph Co IN married Mary Thomas 1784 NC - 1858 Randolph IN

Their son Ephraim Bragg is listed b.1801 VA married Mary Louisa Fields 1804 NC - 1857 NC. Mary Fields parents listed as Obadaiah Fields from Hawkins TN and Avis Bird b.abt 1784 NC - 1854 Hawkins TN. Avis Bird is a brick-wall.

Taylor-Brown

I realize this is a very old thread and maybe I should start a new thread. I am looking for the ancestors of Henry Brown and Catherine Taylor, both born in NC. Catherine was born in 1781 and died in Talbot GA 10/31/1844 buried in the Brown Cemetery, and was living with her daughter at the time of her death, her daughter was married to Young Daniel. Henry was was born circa 1775 and died in Baldwin GA in 1826. I am the offspring of their son Henry Brown who married Exa Beall Bedingfield of Lumpkin GA (although Exa was not the mother of my ancestor, Mary Perry of Twiggs Co was, she died shortly after my great grandfather Charlton Brown was born. Henry Jr. married Exa when my great grandfather was less than a year old). I am showing Native DNA and would like to track it down. I'm thinking it is Taylor or Brown. This couple was found in Abbeville SC before departing for Georgia and is found in association with Sarah McElwee Brown who departed Abbeville for land she won in the land lottery circa 1805-7 in Baldwin GA. She was a widow her husband Joseph Brown having died earlier. She had 3 children, one of them Joseph Brown, a toddler upon her journey to Baldwin Co. which she took on alone, or possibly with said Henry Brown because he ends up near her in Baldwin. Henry and Joseph could be related but Henry and Catherine's daughter Mary Brown marries Joseph Sr. and Sarah McElwee's son Joseph Jr. so they would be 1st cousins if they were related but my thought is they are not related. I can't find any information on either Henry Sr. or Joseph Sr. or on the wives, Catherine Taylor or Sarah McElwee. I'm at a brick wall.

Harmon Catawba surname?

Hi!

Thanks very much everyone for the wealth of information and perspectives in this thread!! I read with interest one of the links to the Catawba surnames. I've been researching my mom's side of the family and found that I likely descend from a Lemuel/Leonas/Leonard Surratt (or Serratt or Sarratt) who, in probably the late 1700s, married a Nancy HARMAN or HARMON in Wythe Co, Virginia. Here's the link:
    http://genealogytrails.com/vir/wythe/marriages.html

And I noticed a POLLY HARMON in the Catawba surnames from
    http://sciway3.net/clark/freemoors/CatawbaRec.html

This Polly is from around 1830. My question is, considering that one of the sources listed in this thread mentioned that there were definitely Catawba in Virginia, might "my" Nancy Harmon belong to this Catawba family? She's be from a slightly earlier generation than the Polly listed in this source. Does anyone know of any further sources for the Harmon family's Indigenous heritage? I'd be extremely happy and proud to find some link to my family! Of course this would not be for any applications for tribal enrollment, my ancestors were from too long ago...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Chris M
    Aurora, Ontario Canada