Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Known Catawba Surnames.

Feb. 1897, U.S. Senate Document #144, entitled "The Catawba Tribe of Indians", the report says that "Dr. Joseph McDowell, of Fairmont, GA, under date of October, 1872, stated that the Indians referred to, and asking relief of the Government, were "Catawba Indians, and 81 in number." Dr. McDowell (who had married one of the Guy women and wrote at least two letters to the Indian Office on behalf of her people) also provided a list of the names and ages of the individuals whom he said wished the government to assist them in moving west to Indian Territory. The report further states that "William Guy, of Granville County, Ga (sic NC), and Simon Jeffries, of Bellville, Virginia, Catawba Indians, served five years in the Army and were honorably discharged, and these people are their descendants." He further states in his letter of October 1869, addressed to Eli Parker, U.S. Commissioner of Indian Affairs, that "I take the Liberty of addressing to you a few lines on behalf of a remnant of the tribe of Catawba Indians…Some 60 or 70 years since they left their tribe and went to Greenville County, Virginia, and then removed to Orange County, North Carolina…they sold out in Orange and moved to Macon County, N.C. where they purchased land and remained every since."

Fact) This corresponds to the report that the majority of the Catawba tribe had left the reservation during the Rev War and traveled north to Virginia for safety.

Fact) the Jeffreys/Jeffries family has historically documented Catawba ancestry.
    Fact) Families of documented Catawba ancestry migrated to Florida 1820-1840 (including Richard L.Taylor, Richard Jeffries & Rebecca Goings)
    Fact) Upon migrating to Florida from the VA/NC border, Richard Jeffries lived in close proximity to the Scott family (and may possibly have been related).
    Fact) The surnames Scott, Stephens, Ayers & Brown were commonly documented among the Catawba Nation in the years 1790-1830.
    Fact) The founders of the mixed-blood populace at Scott's Ferry and Scott Town had the surnames of Scott, Stephens, Ayers & Brown.
    Fact) Prior to 1800 the Scott family was described as "a large and prominent family" among the Catawba.
    Fact) After the arrival of the Scott family in Florida, only one Scott man is listed in the entire Catawba Nation.
    Fact) Four of the eldest members that founded the Florida community were named Joseph Scott, Jacob Scott, John 'Captain Jack' Ayers, and Elizabeth Scott. All of these names appear on documents relating to Catawba lands being leased and annuity payments owed to Catawba Indians in the era 1820-1840.
    P: Newman, Teal, Petty, Jeffries/Jeffers, Dobbins,Collins,Little,Johnson,O'neal and Bryant, Lee,Jones, Gray, Echols,Cave, Moore, Flemming and Jordan, Brown,Brock,Bass, Payne

M: Yarbrough,Taylor and Cherry,Drake,Turner,Jacobs,woods

And of course I married into the Richardson Family.

28 Jan 1790, Andrew "Drury" Jeffries married Silvia Scott (Greensville Co. bond, Minister's Returns, p.19) His father, Andrew Jeffries sr. (grandfather of Parker Jeffries) was bondsman. Andrew "Drury" Jeffries jr. filed a deposition of Rev War service in Orange Co. NC in 1833 where he stated that he was born in Brunswick County, VA about 1766 (note: Greensville was formed from part of Brunswick), resided there until 1813 when he moved to Orange Co. NC.

Andrew 'Drury' Jeffries and Silvia Scott were the parents of Richard Jeffries.
    1834, Richard Jeffries appears in Jackson County Florida tax records, listed as a free man of color alongside Jacob Scott, Joseph Scott, Absalom Scott, John Jones & Martin Brooks.

Andrew "drury" Jeffries was my great great great great great great uncle
    P: Newman, Teal, Petty, Jeffries/Jeffers, Dobbins,Collins,Little,Johnson,O'neal and Bryant, Lee,Jones, Gray, Echols,Cave, Moore, Flemming and Jordan, Brown,Brock,Bass, Payne

Now here is a interesting part about the alabama.....several of the Catawba/Saponi that had travel thru Ga into Fl...they was trying to get to Oklahoma but only made it to alabama. This matches your 1860 date as well.

1853, The Taylor and Houser families "all of whom claimed to be Catawbas," left west Florida enroute for Indian territory but never made it further than Alabama where they took up residence on the Creek reserve lands at Atmore. Richard Taylor is censused in present-day Holmes County (no race listed) in 1850, and at the Atmore reservation in 1860 (listed as Indian). R.B.I.A., National Archives, Letters Received, Miscellaneous, 1853, A-172, Brig.-Gen. G.B. Hall to Capt. I.C. Casey about Certain Indians in his County, November 12, 1853

[quote=Ga-Nc Collins;30416]
    Other families that married into our people early on were the Johnsons, Hills, Cooks, Burkes, Russels, Stevens, Proctors, Thompsons, Barnetts, and DeCosta's. Are these some of your family names? Is there a connection between these names and your groups? These are some of the questions we hope will be answered by the research of the Melungeon Heritage Committee.

My 4th g grandmother was Fannie Proctor, born 1790 in Robeson County NC. I would love to know that connnection, as well as her husband, William Carroll Bates, about 1790 also. Supposedly he weas born in either KY or TN, but that hasn't really been proven, as noone can find his parents. We've all been told of an Indian connection to both of them. My Austin ancestor, John, married a Saponi. But, William Bates.. he is my brick wall... I know some about Fanny, his wife, but I am not sure it has been really proven to be true. They both died in Marion Co, AL in 1850 and 1860 respectively. Some of their descendants are still there.

Peace~
    Wanda Guiding Wolf Nelson

Paternal : Austin, Bates,Beeler, Frederick, Kennedy,Keith, Hughes,Lamb, Pickens, Proctor, Qualls, Rogers, Stares/Steers, Yancey

Maternal: Bragg, Henderson, Hughes, Keith, Lambert, Langston,Prince,Newport, Seay, Scott, Thornton, Vann, Wingo, Wren

[quote=StariNelson;33321]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga-Nc Collins View Post
    Other families that married into our people early on were the Johnsons, Hills, Cooks, Burkes, Russels, Stevens, Proctors, Thompsons, Barnetts, and DeCosta's. Are these some of your family names? Is there a connection between these names and your groups? These are some of the questions we hope will be answered by the research of the Melungeon Heritage Committee.

My 4th g grandmother was Fannie Proctor, born 1790 in Robeson County NC. I would love to know that connnection, as well as her husband, William Carroll Bates, about 1790 also. Supposedly he weas born in either KY or TN, but that hasn't really been proven, as noone can find his parents. We've all been told of an Indian connection to both of them. My Austin ancestor, John, married a Saponi. But, William Bates.. he is my brick wall... I know some about Fanny, his wife, but I am not sure it has been really proven to be true. They both died in Marion Co, AL in 1850 and 1860 respectively. Some of their descendants are still there.

Peace~
    I just wanted to let you know that there are some Proctor families who are Muscogee Creek NDN over here in OK. I think many of them live in or near Muscogee OK area. They are very good Stomp Dance Leaders and Shell Shakers.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. We have been told of a possible link to Zeke Proctor.. he would be maybe a cousin. Not sure of that, but, the family seems to be from the same general area. Micajah Proctor was my Fannie's father.I just discovered tonight that I have a Rogers grandmother, also. They married into the Proctor family, too. My grandmother was further back, though. The Kennedys married into the family as well. I do know some of my cousins were in the Muskogee area... the Kennedy's as well as trhe Bates.
    Maybe one day the dots will connect.... I HOPE

Paternal : Austin, Bates,Beeler, Frederick, Kennedy,Keith, Hughes,Lamb, Pickens, Proctor, Qualls, Rogers, Stares/Steers, Yancey

Maternal: Bragg, Henderson, Hughes, Keith, Lambert, Langston,Prince,Newport, Seay, Scott, Thornton, Vann, Wingo, Wren

[QUOTE=StariNelson;33321][quote=Ga-Nc Collins;30416]
    [LEFT]Other families that married into our people early on were the Johnsons, Hills, Cooks, Burkes, Russels, Stevens, Proctors, Thompsons, Barnetts, and DeCosta's. Are these some of your family names? Is there a connection between these names and your groups? These are some of the questions we hope will be answered by the research of the Melungeon Heritage Committee.

I just noticed you have Bragg as a surname...my maiden name is Bragg, though not a Bragg biologically (Sparks). My two aunts however, are Bragg's. Where are your Bragg's from?

Shirley
    P: Adkins, Anderson, Baldwin (Balden, Bolden), Bishop, Brown, Cole?, Daniel, Gibson, Hackney, Landreth, Shortridge, Sparks, Thomas, Vail, Yates, Hart, Johnson, more to come...
    M: Palasan, Copatina, Deschamps, Crawford, Douglass, Holleman, Seymour, Davis, Covington, Duke, Mastin, Airey, Blackwell, Wall, Blackistone, Smith...

I just noticed you have Bragg as a surname...my maiden name is Bragg, though not a Bragg biologically (Sparks). My two aunts however, are Bragg's. Where are your Bragg's from?

Shirley[/quote]

My Braggs are from Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, by way of Virginia lol
    Where are yours from?

Quote Originally Posted by StariNelson View Post

Shirley

Where are yours from?

[/QUOTE]

Mine are out of VA and now WV (Nicholas). I wonder if the early VA Bragg's are related?
    P: Adkins, Anderson, Baldwin (Balden, Bolden), Bishop, Brown, Cole?, Daniel, Gibson, Hackney, Landreth, Shortridge, Sparks, Thomas, Vail, Yates, Hart, Johnson, more to come...
    M: Palasan, Copatina, Deschamps, Crawford, Douglass, Holleman, Seymour, Davis, Covington, Duke, Mastin, Airey, Blackwell, Wall, Blackistone, Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by sammarroq View Post
    Where are yours from?

Mine are out of VA and now WV (Nicholas). I wonder if the early VA Bragg's are related?[/quote]

Very likely, at some point.My earliest Bragg ancestor, in America, is Thomas Bragg, 1580, Jamestown, VA. I believe there are people who question his wife, but, she is said to be Molly Newport. Son William had John Bragg. John Bragg had Joseph Bragg abt 1760. Joseph married Mary Tap, and that is where my line begins. They had Jospeh Jr who married Mary Settle. Their children were born in AL.

Thanks for posting more info about the Catawba.

My family came down from Virginia to Madison County in Northwest Florida (the Panhandle) in the late 1800s--between 1850 and 1860. They were Browns--Lydia (g-g-grandmother), Willie/William (great-grandfather), two more daughters, and one more son. They intermarried into a Choctaw family (Jenkins/Bryant). They all packed up and moved east to Duval county.
    It would be nice to connect to more of the Catawba culture.

My own grandfather married a lady out of York County, S.C. Her maiden name was Robinson.
    Drae
    All the Ones Who Came Before Me (at least, the ones I have discovered): Brown, Hale/Haley, Moose, Sander/Xander, Perry, Robinson, Bryant, Jenkins, Hunnicut/Honeycutt

Why do I keep saying York County? I meant Lancaster!!!
    Drae
    All the Ones Who Came Before Me (at least, the ones I have discovered): Brown, Hale/Haley, Moose, Sander/Xander, Perry, Robinson, Bryant, Jenkins, Hunnicut/Honeycutt

My Scott's just "appeared" in Xenia, Ohio. Rebecca Jane Scott, Robert Scott...I believe they were part of the migration from Orangeburg, S.C (I hope I have that right) Part of my family were Quakers from Bush Creek,SC & I cannot find any more information on the Scott's. I have them on both sides of the family with no known birthplace. I also have many names that fit & believe the family must have taken English names to hide as well as they did. I was told not to speak of it by my Aunt when I asked her about the Bennet's, Collins & whether we were mixed race. The thing is, there is me....I do not look anything but Indian, Portugese, black....oops!
    Lynne S. (Robeson, Nichols, Wells, Cook, Cooper, Caldwell, Bennett, Collins, Bevis, Herron, Kramer, Williamson...and more)
    Last edited by Lynneda; 06-16-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: error

Oh, the old throwback effect, it sure can do a whammy to those old family secrets. Good for you!

Good info. Thanks for sharing, Ga-Nc Collins.