Thread: The Bowles and Fulton Families

The Bowles and Fulton Families

On another thread, titled "Martha Stephens Rogers and Hester Rogers," I previously commented that my g-g-g-grandfather Emmor Jefferson Stephens had been a bartender on the Ohio River. This is a typo. He had been a bargetender on the busy Ohio River.

I also previously commented on the fact that Emmor Jefferson Stephens and his younger brother Isaac married two sisters, Elizabeth and Mary Bowles. What is most interesting about my ancestor Elizabeth Bowles is that she is believed to have descended through her mother from the Fulton family of Washington County, Pennsylvania. Robert Fulton, the celebrated American inventor, is described as a cousin in family chronicles.
    Gussie

Since my family ran riverboats up and down the Ohio from Pittsburgh and they are connected to Robert Fulton I am interested in your post. Why do you think your family was connected to the Fulton's? If in fact they are connected to the Fulton's, you would also be connected to the Hamiltons of Alexander Hamilton, the Livingston's Robert R Livingston and the Roosevelts of Teddy Roosevelt and his great uncle Nicholus Roosevelt. You might even be connected to the Setons who are related to the Roosevelts.

Robert Fulton was married to Robert R Livingston's sister who was related to Elizabeth Schuyler the wife of Alexander Hamilton.

Larry,

Thanks for posting about our common ancestor. My relationship to the Fulton family is based upon actual letters, correspondence and memoirs in the possession of my cousin, who has extensively researched our family genealogy. The use of the middle name Fulton has carried through the successive generations of my family. Thomas Fulton Stephens was an older brother of my g-g-grandmother Martha Stephens Rogers. Samuel Fulton Stephens, a first cousin to Martha Stephens Rogers, was a co-founder with his brother-in-law John Blake Gray, of Burlington, Iowa. James Fulton Stephens, a younger brother of Samuel Fulton Stephens, was a prominent attorney in Burlington, Iowa, in the 1840s. The name "Fulton" was used as a middle name for successive generations of both male and female children.
    Gussie

Some Historians in Pittsburgh believe my family built the boat for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Robert Fulton lived in Pittsburgh in the early 1800's and I believe he was also connected with the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It is Sacajawea who I am trying to track down. If indeed William Clark adopted John Baptiste as may records suggest, then he would be the foster brother of Meriwether Lewis Clark. Meriwether Lewis Clark attended West Point with Robert E Lee. Some records suggest Meriwether Lewis Clark served with General Robert E Lee in Richmond during the Civil War. I am trying to find out what John Baptist was doing when Meriwether Lewis Clark was at West Point with Robert E Lee. Some records suggest he was in school in France. Other records suggest he was with Explorer Robert Stuart at Fort Astoria.

It does seem that John Jacob Astor financed at least some of Robert Fulton's projects and may have financed the building of the Lewis and Clark boat.

Abraham Smyth Fulton, a brother of the noted inventor Robert Fulton, was the first white man to be buried at Troy Cemetery in Troy, Indiana. The cemetery was a former Indian burial place.
    Gussie

Some interesting facts about Robert Fulton:

He constructed the steamboat called the "Clermont" which became the first commercial steamboat on the Hudson River in New York.

While living in France, he built the submarine "Nautilus."

He worked with the U.S. Navy to develop the torpedo.

He designed the world's first steam-powered warship, which was launched after his death.

A life-size marble statue of Robert Fulton, by Howard Roberts Palmer, is located in Statuary Hall, United States Capitol.

In New York City, Fulton Street and Fulton Park, almost two thousand acres in size, were named in his honor.

In 1909, the U.S. Postal Service issued the Two Cent Hudson-Fulton Celebration stamp commemorating two events: the discovery of the Hudson River and the first demonstration of a viable steamship, the Clermont.

In 1965, the U.S. Postal Service issued the Robert Fulton stamp honoring the 200-year anniversary of his birth.
    Gussie

Plus Robert Fulton lived in the Pittsburgh area and built the first steamboat on the Ohio in Mckeesport PA called The New Orleans. His two other business partners were Nicholas Roosevelt who was Teddy Roosevelt's great uncle and Judge Robert R Livingston who was Robert Fulton's brother-in-law.

The family line is Myers Sherman Ryan McCloskey Heeney Astor Roosevelt Seton Hamilton Talleyrand and Fulton

Robert Fulton died on February 24, 1815. He was fifty years old. He was interred in the vault of the Livingston family, in Trinity Churchyard in New York City. Founding father and statesman Alexander Hamilton, who died in 1804, is also buried here.

A beautiful poem by Carl Sandburg, titled "Trinity Place," describes this churchyard:

The grave of Alexander Hamilton is in Trinity yard at the end of Wall Street.

The grave of Robert Fulton likewise is in Trinity yard where Wall Street stops.

And in this yard stenogs, bundle boys, scrubwomen, sit on the tombstones, and walk on the grass of graves, speaking of war and weather, of babies, wages and love.

An iron picket fence . . . and streaming thousands along Broadway sidewalks . . . straw hats, faces, legs . . . a singing, talking, hustling river . . . down the great street that ends with a Sea.

. . . easy is the sleep of Alexander Hamilton.
    . . . easy is the sleep of Robert Fulton.
    . . . easy are the great governments and the great steamboats.
    Gussie

Robert Fulton was married to Robert R Livingston's sister. Alexander Hamilton's wife was related to the Livingstons. Alexander Hamilton was the lawyer for Astor and Heeney fur trading company and lived across the street from William Seton. Also, Meriwether Lewis was Alexander Hamilton's aid. The Ryans and McCloskeys were related to the Henneys and the Sherman and Myers family were related to the McCloskey's.

A good book to read on these connections is titled The Life of Father Thomas Ewing Sherman who was the son of General William Tecumseh Sherman.

You obviously have done extensive research on this subject. Thanks for mentioning this book, which will help me learn more.
    Gussie