Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Dna

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Posts
    734
    Yes I change thresholds. Most people in my Genome Mate database are ones who share >7cM segments, considered IBD. >5cM I use as a threshold to find IBS matches. People I find with similar surnames or story I add manually using a threshold of >5cM When I load those into Genome Mate it helps divice which IBS are likely segments of bigger IBD matches and witch are truly IBS. I'll drop it to >3cM to look for matches to archaic samples to try and triangulate ethnicity.

    I'm not sure watch >2cM mathces mean. When I lower it to that level I see so many matches. Compare Rachel Payne to my mother or uncle at >2cM and there close to 40 matches arbout 135cM total.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Springfield, VA, USA
    Posts
    337
    Just wanted to update info I previously posted on this thread, to mention that I got my brother a Family Finder test at FTDNA and his results posted a few weeks ago. I uploaded him to GedMatch where he is F250126. As luck would have it, even though we are full brothers and look alike, he got a much stronger NA signal than I did -- longer segments, and on several different chromosomes. So in case his turns out to be from our VA/NC ancestors, you might want to try out your Genome Mate or whatever magic tricks you do with such cases. Theoretically we might have faint matches with Bass, Chavis, Jeffreys, Snelling, etc. Or so Heinegg would have us believe.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Posts
    734
    Tried running it against my family samples... small matches, nothing conclusive. One thing I noticed is there is one sample that is cousin to him, my mother and uncle - M145903

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Person co, NC
    Posts
    949
    Becky and I both ordered the Ancestry DNA tests. Guess it's about time to explore that route.
    Paternal: Dalton, Simpkins, Phillips, Montgomery, Goad, Cox, Quesenberry, Slinker, Strange, Jennings, White, Reed, Duncan, Green, Wade, Johnson, Lawrence,
    Maternal: Newton, Meadows, Lunsford, Satterfield, Jones, Mann, Hailey, Clements, Cozart, Howard, Mangum, Williams, Allen, Grant, Walker, Groves, Canaday, Talley, Rice, Glenn, Richardson, Winn, Bumpass, Gabriel, Tucker, Coleman, Collins, Lewis, Holiday, Miller, Moore, Beasley, Trotter, Evans, Day, Farrar, Lyon, Martin,

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Posts
    734

    Dna

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaminghawk View Post
    Becky and I both ordered the Ancestry DNA tests. Guess it's about time to explore that route.
    Cool! Will be happy to help with results when you get them.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,835
    Mom is A231339 on Gedmatch if anyone wants to try for a match.

    Techteach
    Last edited by techteach; 09-06-2016 at 03:52 PM.
    Grandmother: McLane, Green, Sinkey, McCartney, Potter, Butt, Huston, Ralston, Horner, Davis, DeMoss, French, Beaver, ...

    Grandfather: Carpenter, Swearingen, Tomlinson, McMurray, Mount, all from PA area. VA and KY areas - Talbot, Schollars, Gordon, Davis, Walker, Featherkile, Morton, Chiles, Grayson, Davis, Moore, Wright, Johns, Carr, Sisk, Isham, Clayton, Shelton

    Paternal is German, documented at Ellis Island.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by techteach View Post
    Mom is A231339 on Gedmatch if anyone wants to try for a match.

    Techteach
    Looked in my Genome Mate to see if I had any new connections. Your mother matches my mother M103622 and M026223 uncle on a 5.5cM 528 SNP section of chromosome 13 from (95M to 100M).

    Matching on the same part of the same chromosome is A817109 Michael Spencer. The match does not triangulate with my uncle so must be on his other side. The interesting thing is Michael Spencer is a cousin to both your mother and my mother and uncle. He has a 12.6cM chr 10 and a 5.4cM chr 12 match to your mother. He has a 10.0cM match to my uncle on chr 13.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    Looked in my Genome Mate to see if I had any new connections. Your mother matches my mother M103622 and M026223 uncle on a 5.5cM 528 SNP section of chromosome 13 from (95M to 100M).

    Matching on the same part of the same chromosome is A817109 Michael Spencer. The match does not triangulate with my uncle so must be on his other side. The interesting thing is Michael Spencer is a cousin to both your mother and my mother and uncle. He has a 12.6cM chr 10 and a 5.4cM chr 12 match to your mother. He has a 10.0cM match to my uncle on chr 13.

    Marc your mother and uncle both match my mom at 5.9 cm on chromosome 1 for 631 snpsComparing Kit A628047 (Judy Peek) and M026223 (Craig Drybread)

    Minimum threshold size to be included in total = 500 SNPs
    Mismatch-bunching Limit = 250 SNPs
    Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 5.0 cM


    Chr Start Location End Location Centimorgans (cM) SNPs
    1 214,276,295 220,077,489 5.9 632
    Largest segment = 5.9 cM

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby McGraw View Post
    Marc your mother and uncle both match my mom at 5.9 cm on chromosome 1 for 631 snpsComparing Kit A628047 (Judy Peek) and M026223 (Craig Drybrea
    I checked your mother's kit against a bunch of my family samples. She also has matches to my 1st and 2nd cousins on the Indiana Jones-Smith line. I'll have to look at my Genome Mate and see if I can see who else also matches on these segments to try and triangulate it.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    I checked your mother's kit against a bunch of my family samples. She also has matches to my 1st and 2nd cousins on the Indiana Jones-Smith line. I'll have to look at my Genome Mate and see if I can see who else also matches on these segments to try and triangulate it.
    Ok cool sounds great there are some smiths in my ancestry dna tree.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •