Thread: Goinstown Indians (Rockingham-Surry Group)

Question Goinstown Indians (Rockingham-Surry Group)

My name is David Richardson. I'm from Stokes County NC and have just begun research into my family histories. My family surnames are Richardson, Collins, Bullins, Taylor. The Richardson/Bullins/Taylor come from the "Goinstown" area on the border of Stokes/Rockingham counties. No one on this side of the family is willing to talk about family history, and I've only been able to trace back a few generations. Everything I've seen referring to the Goinstown Indians mentions this general reluctance to disclose information and I'm looking for any avenues around the block of silence. If anyone has any info they can provide me about the Goinstown or Rockingham/Surry Group Indians, please reply. Specifically, attendance lists of the Martin or Goinstown Indian School located in Rockingham Co. up to the 1950's would be much appreciated (yeah, I know -- good luck) or any recognition of the names Thomas Richardson/Martha Jane Bullins or Joseph Richardson/Martha Jane Taylor. Thanks!

Welcome David. I've asked a Goins expert to take a look at your post.

Joseph Richardson/Martha Jane Taylor

Hi I saw your query on the Goinstown Indians and the names Joseph Richardson & Martha Jane Taylor. They were my GGGrandparents on my Grandma's side of the family and I just received a lot of information on them, which I would be happy to share with you. How are you related to them?

My Grandpa's side of the family is the Goins from Rockingham County, North Carolina.

Sorry to say it, but Yeahup has only posted this once, three years ago. Hopefully, his/her email is still good and he/she will know you've posted.

Welcome.

joseph richardson, martha taylor

I'm still around and still hunting for information! Looks like I've something more in common with at least one 3rd cousin than a shared set of grandparents...

Please contact me at yeahup@yahoo.com or davidrichardson@alltel.net and maybe we can help each other out. Its been a long time since my last post and I've learned alot--I'd love to share.

Alexander Goins

I have reason to believe that my 4th gr grandad Alexander goins that was murdered in stonega va in 1844 was fro the goinstown area.any info about this area and it"s people would also be much appreciated by me.
    thanks,
    Al

Hope you don't mind me bringing this one back around. David, if you are still around, I'd love to hear about any discoveries you've made.

Bee
    Paternal: Branch, Foley, Bowling, Collins, Ross, Goard, Thomas, Holt, Cronk, Harbour, Morrison, Anderson, Garth, Nowlin, Ware, Bryant, Courtney, Hundley, Britton, ties to Goins and Rorrer...

Maternal: Foley, Cannady, Thomas, Daniel, Turner, Joyce, Witt, Wright, Hall, Nowlin, Trent, King, Spencer, Edwards, Burnett, Scott, Hundley, Bryant, Wood(s), Courtney, Cox...

Other or both: Thornhill, Lynch, Dodson...