Thread: Are there any Tutelo children's books?

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries

Are there any Tutelo children's books?

I have been asking myself this question for a while now. Especially this morning while watching APTN shows with my daughters. One in Inuktitut one in Ojibwe.

The Arrow Over the Door by Joseph Bruchac is a great book that includes some of our shared Blackfoot story as a work of historical fiction. It is at least a Grade 4 reading level though. I'm looking for something easier - maybe like a word in English and in Tutelo with a picture on each page or at the most short sentences.

Does anyone know if they have any resources like this at the Haliwa_Saponi Tribal School?

If it doesn't exist I would be interested in working with someone to create one. There are some people with writing talent on this forum. Linda I'm thinking of you.

Is anyone else interested in this?
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

You could do it as an iPad app or using iBook author. I am presenting on indigenous iPad apps in 3 weeks. Pretty slim pickins.

Techteach
    Grandmother: McLane, Green, Sinkey, McCartney, Potter, Butt, Huston, Ralston, Horner, Davis, DeMoss, French, Beaver, ...

Grandfather: Carpenter, Swearingen, Tomlinson, McMurray, Mount, all from PA area. VA and KY areas - Talbot, Schollars, Gordon, Davis, Walker, Featherkile, Morton, Chiles, Grayson, Davis, Moore, Wright, Johns, Carr, Sisk, Isham, Clayton, Shelton

Paternal is German, documented at Ellis Island.

I can't write but I have a basic understanding of Tutelo. I have a twitter account that I started putting stuff in Tutelo on it just to get practice. I'd like to do something with it other than talk to myself and make bad tweets and videos.
    VA- Akin, Ballard, Berry, Branch, Bryan, Butler, Bunch, Cooke, Deane, Ellis, Glenn, Hancock, Herndon, Kendall, King, Lawrence, Lee, Martin, Meade, Moore, Napper, Neal, Pendleton, Powell, Ritchey, Riddle, Savage, Scott, Sheppard, Smith, Stanley, Thacker, Tyree, Yelton, Waller, Ware, Winn, and more
    NC- Bennett, Brown, Gatlin, Ivey, Morris, Pulley, Weldon, Whitehead
    KY-Cox, Hall NJ-Gould

Blog Entries
    Can you post a link to that Twitter account?

Ain't much. https://twitter.com/pamayink Maybe you could join me?
    VA- Akin, Ballard, Berry, Branch, Bryan, Butler, Bunch, Cooke, Deane, Ellis, Glenn, Hancock, Herndon, Kendall, King, Lawrence, Lee, Martin, Meade, Moore, Napper, Neal, Pendleton, Powell, Ritchey, Riddle, Savage, Scott, Sheppard, Smith, Stanley, Thacker, Tyree, Yelton, Waller, Ware, Winn, and more
    NC- Bennett, Brown, Gatlin, Ivey, Morris, Pulley, Weldon, Whitehead
    KY-Cox, Hall NJ-Gould

Blog Entries

Here Are My Peeps - Kay Richardson Oxendine

Read my 4-year old daughter this book tonight. On the last page she said "They're at the pow-wow like us dada!"

It's great to have someone telling their story to share. Seeing a lot of Richardson connections in our DNA reinforces the connection for me. In the book she writes that her name is Amelia. Which my wife noticed right away as that is the name she picked out if we have a third daughter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	these_are_my_peeps.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	987 Here Are My Peeps: The Story of the Richardson and Lynch Families, Of the Haliwa-Saponi Indian Tribe As told thru the eyes of their granddaughter Kay Richardson
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White