Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeffries

Jeffries

Long story, try to be short. I had my hubby Steve Markley atdna tested and we just got the tests back. I think he is a Jeffries of Greene Co Ohio. In the 1830 Greene Co Ohio census, his grandfather William Watts is living next door to Joseph Jeffries. The Watts so far seem to be white. Since I was already aware of the Jeffries and their Oconeechee connections, I knew who Joseph was. His William WAtts 1821 Greene Co Oh d 1891>William Watts b 1775 d 1833 Greene Co Ohio> John Watts listed in father's will as living in Ohio along with Sarah. I am thinking that Sarah may have married a Jefferies. I know Forest Hazel worked on this in depth for the tribe but was not sure he is still here. We just got back from a NC vacation and stopped by John Blackfeather Jeffries and I think he and my husband has similar eyes but he said that Steve looks more like his Uncle Onde. I had already asked Steve if he thought he looked like John Blackfeather and he really hesitated and said no, he looks like Dad's brother Lester who had passed before I knew him (his Dad is 95). LOL
    While Googling I came to a S.Pony Hill page and I have never been sure about his research. He seems a little brash at times, but I understand that. He has a picture of a Parker Jeffries but I am not sure if this is the Greene Co guy. I will email his to find out because that guy also looks like my husband. My hubby is the tallest and darkest of all his brother's and one has the really curly hair. Won a minority scholarship in the 1970's to Miami University of Ohio because at the interview they thought he was a light skinned black because of his huge afro and had to turn it down. Hmmm...if we had only known, one drop stays while the NA blood just gets assimilated.

Question...does anyone have any Watts and Jeffries connections?
    Vivian Markley
    www.cottrellgenealogy.com

There are some links in this other Jeffries/Jeffreys thread that might be useful to you, just for finding stuff. Not specific to your Ohio line, I believe.

http://saponitown.com/forum/showthre...ffreys&p=36740

Hi Vivian,

I've came across your name a couple of times recently looking into DNA...

I suspect my Jones family has direct links to the Jeffries. I haven't been able to prove it, but there are too many coincidences with names, dates, and locations not to be. My Jones family (Harbert "Harvey" Jones and Martha Rosser) came to Greene County, Ohio from Greensville County, Virginia area sometime before 1841. Their marriage return filed in Greene County was on the same page as James Hathcock/Mary Studevant, Jordan Jeffries/Martha C. Hathcock, Shedrick Jeffries/Mary Edwards, and William Bowers/Rebecca Studevant. One of their sons married into the Cordell/Edmunds family. Another one of their sons married into the Day family, whose mother was a Jeffries. And, another son married into the Guy family and was a descendant of the Guy, Burnett, Jeffries, Chavers, etc. My latest theory is that my Harbert Jones may be the son of Benjamin Jones and Betsey Jeffries (but I haven't been able to prove or disprove it yet). Benjamin Jones and Betsey Jeffries were married 04 Jan 1810 in Northampton Co, NC. Harbert Jeffries, who also went through Greene Co, Ohio before going on to Indiana, was the bondsman. My thinking being that my Harbert was names after his uncle or other close relative.

I had my mom test her DNA. We used Ancestry and then uploaded to GedMatch (A812859). On Ancestry with the new shared match feature, I can weed out my Holderman line since a couple of known Jones relatives have tested there too, so that I'm only left with Jones/Rosser. My mom has about 6 matches besides those known Jones relatives. One was adopted and doesn't have anything. One tree has Barnes, Nickens, Collins, Renshaw, Scott, Hathcock, etc. The other 4 trees are shared matches to each other and all have Jeffries. Interestingly enough, none of their trees place them around Greene County, Ohio instead they were from the Alamance, Orange, or Caswell County areas in North Carolina.

In looking at connections on GedMatch, I found several people with the last name of Jones. In hopes that it would be "that easy" , I looked into their matches. One of them had your husband's name in his list. Also, a known Jones relative (3rd cousin 1x removed) has her info on GedMatch. She doesn't match my mom unless you lower the defaults; however, she matches your husband at 4.9gen. She is also a descendant of the Guy family mentioned above and has other Jeffries matches in her list.

Last week, I was looking through my "GEDCOM + DNA matches". I came across one that looked interesting as she had no relatives that I noticed offhand born in the United States. Her and her family were born in Ireland, Scotland, England, Australia, and Canada. I thought it was odd, so, I googled her email to see if she had an Ancestry account. Anyway, when I did, I found your blog. She was one of the people listed in your contact section.

Stacey

Col John Watts

Here is a link to the early Greene co Ohio Jeffries Bible.
    http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surna.../jeffries/586/

Steve's line is Elizabeth Watts/Jonathan Markley>>William Watts 1821 Greene co Ohio/Ruth Parsons>> William Watts dies 1833 Greene Co Ohio/Sarah Jeffries in the 1820 Greene Co Census living next to Joseph Jeffries/Sarah Watts....Col John Watts 1755 Dinwiddie Co Va/1830 Bedford Co Ohio/ Betsy Roberts. Massie's Creek ends in Greene Co Ohio at Oldtown where Simon Kenton ran the gauntlet. Historical marker on RT 68.
    Not really relevant but interesting to me is that the Joseph Kerr is my relative. LOL I have court docs on this and will see if I can get them stored on here somehow.

Another interesting note is that Col John Watts married Betsy Roberts daughter of Cornelius Roberts and Mary Benton who is said to have been killed by Benge. This could make a new thread for sure. Then to tie in Old Trader John Watts who should fit in this picture.
    http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Jeffrey-644
    Vivian Markley

That bible link is a neat find. :-)

As far as I know, I don't have any Watts in my family. However, I just checked Ancestry. Of my 315 matches, 89 of them have Watts. Of those, only 1 has ties to Greene County. In her tree, she has that her 2GGrandparents are William Watts & Ruth Parsons. Her GGrandfather is Francis Marion Watts. May be there is a distant link there with the Jeffries? I don't know. I don't know how she connects to my family yet. She is listed as a distant cousin at 6.9cM, so she isn't above the threshold to do shared matches. The only surname we have in common is Simmons/Symons. Hers were in Connecticut during the same time (mid-1700s) as mine were in Pendleton Co, Virginia, so the connection may or may not be through that line.

Stacey

I didn't know if this might tie into your Watts line...

Sasser, Ray R. Royal Land Patents and Commonwealth Land Grants of Greensville County, Virginia. Emporia, VA: Ray R. Sasser, Jr., 1998.

page 64

Hamilton, George of Prince George
    23 Mar. 1715/16 320acres Surry
    [for importation of 7 persons: James Watts, Robert Anderson, John Grimes, Andrew Lamb, John Newton, Thomas French, and William Round; becomes part of John Allen's patent of 27 July 1722; conveyed by Hamilton for want of seating and planting]; along south side of Three Creeks beginning on the lowerside of the mouth of the small branch at the foot of the hill of the old Toteroe Fort (VPB 10:281)
    Stacey
    Last edited by stacey.23; 02-19-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stacey.23 View Post
    That bible link is a neat find. :-)

As far as I know, I don't have any Watts in my family. However, I just checked Ancestry. Of my 315 matches, 89 of them have Watts. Of those, only 1 has ties to Greene County. In her tree, she has that her 2GGrandparents are William Watts & Ruth Parsons. Her GGrandfather is Francis Marion Watts. May be there is a distant link there with the Jeffries? I don't know. I don't know how she connects to my family yet. She is listed as a distant cousin at 6.9cM, so she isn't above the threshold to do shared matches. The only surname we have in common is Simmons/Symons. Hers were in Connecticut during the same time (mid-1700s) as mine were in Pendleton Co, Virginia, so the connection may or may not be through that line.

Stacey
    William Watts and Ruth Parsons are Steve's line. You will get nowhere on these families using settings minimum 700 snp Everyone I know is now using 500/1 to put in Genomemate. And since you are probably looking for a Native American, unless you know their tribal affiliation occurred after 1800, you probably don't need Atdna to find them. Most of us with Admix, the "marriages" occurred in the 1600 to 1700 time period. I know for me this journey has nothing to do with wanting tribal enrollment but just to find the truth. William Watts mother was Sarah Jeffries 1782 married William Watts died 1833 in Greene Co Ohio. Joseph Jeffries, her brother married William Watts sister Sarah (in Will and are living next to each other in the 1820 Greene Co Ohio Census

John d. by Jan 1831 Bedford will (WB 7:376) m. Betsy ____. children (Eliz.'s Mg Bond; John's will made 1830 named all including nephew Edward Watts one of Exors.)
    a. William W.; inherited over 2,000 a. in KY from father. Children (John's Will made 1830):
    1. Sarah: received 2000 a. in Ohio from John's will
    2. John: received 2000 a. in Ohio from John's will
    b. Dr. Arthur; inherited land in Bedford after mother's death & land in Ohio
    c. Elizabeth R. m 6-28-1827 Bedford (6/23 bond, "d/o John", Wm W. Watts, Surety), Joseph W Scott; inherited land in Bedford, 2 tracts in Campbell, one over
    900 a. & one over 800 a., 1/3 Bank of Chilicothe stock, all in trust from her father.

I have Sarah Jeffries Watts and Joseph Jeffries parents as George Jeffries b1743 Stafford, Va and Sarah Graves

From the gal with the Jeffries Bible
    George & Sarah's children, eventually married a William Watts.Their children were John, Nancy, and Evaline Watts.
    George Jeffries (b: 19 June 1743) married Sarah Ann Watts (b:15 August 1744).They had 10 children, with birthdates ranging from 1766 to 1782.The children's names were:Hannah, Elie, Butler, Joseph, George, Amos, Ann, Eli, James, and Sarah.
    Sarah, the youngest of George & Sarah's children, eventually married a William Watts.Their children were John, Nancy, and Evaline Watts.

So this gives you another 10 possible Jeffries children. There are 11 people who have Jeffries in Stafford Co Va in their Gedmatch gedcoms so I will see if they match Steve.
    Vivian Markley

Thanks, Vivian. I'll keep the 500/1 in mind when inputting info into Genome Mate for my Jones line. Most of my connections that I've found so far on this line have been on AncestryDNA. So, unless I can talk some more of them into uploading data to GedMatch or FTDNA, I got a feeling I'm just going to be going in circles with no way to compare data.

The 6.9cM match that I mentioned in my last post was one that was on Ancestry, so there's no way for me to adjust the settings. Ancestry's Shared Match Feature is supposed to give you a list of shared matches that are 4th cousin matches or closer. However, from what I've been finding, it's been giving me shared matches in the distant cousin range as long as the amount of shared DNA is above 12cM or so. There appears to be glitches in their system. I have a handful of matches that I've found that match around 6cM that give shared matches, too.

I had my mom test on Ancestry and uploaded to GedMatch a year or so ago, but I haven't really done anything with the results until just recently I started looking into it more. A couple of months ago, I uploaded the data to FTDNA. Then last month, I found out about Genome Mate. I downloaded it and have been adding data to it whenever I get a chance.

Like you, I'm not in this for tribal enrollment. I'm just trying to find the truth in the stories that I was told (most being German, with one of those being a Hessian that deserted during the AmRev; a little bit of Scottish-Irish; and one line that was Native American and Pennsylvania Dutch.) I was also hoping to knock down some brick walls, some of them fairly recently. Besides this Jones/Rosser line that I can only get back to the 1810's. I also have a Warner line in Montgomery County, Ohio that I have only gotten back to 1830's. Also around Montgomery County, is a Sharretts line that I haven't found anything on before an 1869 marriage.

Stacy

Have you seen the Miami Valley Index? This is their listing, really slim but some earlier presence is indicated.
    Sharrett, John fc 1880 Cen German Twp Mt
    Sharrett, Keziah fc 1850 Cen 156 Madison Township Ck
    Sharrett, Mahala M 1830 Marr Stettler, Henry Mt
    Sharretts, Christopher M 1820 Marr A Boone, Susanna Mt

I poked around and found this
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...alinda22&id=I8
    I goes back to

Father: Arnholtz Scherertz b: ABT 1714 in Rhineland Prussia
    Mother: Catherina

Marriage 1 Maria Caterina Meyer b: ABT 1750
    Married: 26 APR 1769 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania USA
    Children

Some ancestry posts have her as the daughter of Christian Meyer and Magdelena Bechtel
    http://person.ancestry.com/tree/6575...67689220/facts

Considering that my Grandfather is the same Christian Meyer but I have a Veronica Bechtel, dates and locations match and I found them difficult to research and document so I think it would be easy for there to be some mistakes here. I thought Veronica was an unusual German name. This family is also Moyer and it goes back and forth from generation to generation but this is my Shunk line that came to Ohio from eastern Pa.
    Vivian Markley

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Markley View Post
    Have you seen the Miami Valley Index? This is their listing, really slim but some earlier presence is indicated.
    My ancestors are in the Miami Valley Index as well.

5th great grandparents on grandmother's side:
    Brower, Henry M 1814 Marr A Heckman, Anna Mt

Their son Benjamin Brower married Elizabeth Becktell (Bechtel). Isabell Wiley Buck was another wife of Benjamin Brower. Benjamin's daughter Barbara J Brower married Joseph Oscar Smith (a Jones descendant). Trout is another associated family to these lines that I am seeing.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Markley View Post
    Thanks. I had forgotten about that. When I first started working on genealogy back in the 90's, we made a trip over to the Dayton and Xenia libraries and one of them had a flyer for it on the table in their genealogy section. I'll have to go through it again. It's been a long time since I looked through it.

My 2GGrandmother was Mary M. (Sharretts) Warner. She was born ca1851 in Ohio. I assume she died between Feb 1872 (son William's birth) and Aug 1873 (husband's 2nd marriage). She is listed as Mary M. Sharretts on her 1869 marriage record. On her son Harvey's 1919 marriage record, she is listed as Mary M. Sharrett, born Ohio, deceased. I would think that she does tie into the earlier families that you listed, but I haven't been able to make the connection yet. This is the only census record that I've found her in...

1870 Federal Census:
    Alcony, Bethel Twp., Miami County, Ohio; June 21, 1870; page 231 (13 of 36); visit 92/92
    Warner (index says "Wanner"), Charles, 29, male, white, farm laborer, $500, Ohio
    ----- Mary, 19, female, white, keeping house, Ohio
    ----- Harvy C., 4/12, male, white, Ohio, February
    Fink (index says "Frank"), Daniel, 21, male, white, farm laborer, Ohio
    (Daniel Fink is Charles' half brother.)

Stacey

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory

Where is the Jeffies connection?

I'm guessing there is a Jeffries on one of my brick-walled lines. When I talk to Rick Haithcock about my genealogy he asks if I am a Jeffries descendant? I find Jeffries threads looking for my ancestors. Some DNA matches have Jeffress lines that may be related.

A lot of my ancestors are in the Miami Valley Index. In Xenia, Greene Co, Clark Co, and Clinton Co, and especially in the Indiana border counties, Hamilton, Butler, Preble and Darke. I'm trying to understand better how that area developed.

My mother's direct lines in the Miami Valley Index:

Paternal: George Drybread (I2a2 haplogroup) in Morgan Twp, Butler Co on the 1820 census.

Drybread, George fc 1820 Cen 034 Morgan Twp Bu

To the best of my knowledge all Drybreads today descend from him. His likely father is Andreas Druckenbrod, mother unknown. He married Susannah Sager and had my 4x g-grandfather William Drybread 21 Oct 1799 in the Northwest Territory. I believe this is the area that was Hamilton County, Northwest Territory, then Dearborn County Indiana, part of "Indiana's Gore". George Drybread is on the 1800 Ohio census under Northwestern Territory.

Maternal: Catherine Huston Thomas (H1as haplogroup)

Handley, Obadiah E. M 1823 Marr Walburn, Catharine Mrs Ck

Catherine Huston Thomas Walburn is another brick wall. I have her birthplace as MD 1783 with no source. She first married Robert Walburn and had my 4xg-grandmother Experience 'Pera' Walburn in 1816. Some trees have birthplaces in Xenia, Greene Co, some Green Twp, Clark Co. I believe the record for Catherine Thomas and Robert Waldron 20 Nov 1806 in 'Kentcky Marriages 1802-1850' is them. Robert Walburn died in 1819 and rests in Clark Co. Catherine remarries 4 years later in Clark Co, listed in the Miami Valley Index.

Still I can't find Obadiah Handley or Catherine on the census.

I just discovered a Jeffries that married into my Teel family line that is said to be blackfoot. She is the wife of David Teel who is an older brother of my Jereta Teel Yeazel. Does anyone recognize this lady in their research?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=64835568

Yes, Jeffries is definitely a Saponi surname!

There is a Jeffries lady who is the wife of the Haliwa Saponi chief Lynch in North Carolina that I knew from 18 years ago when I was a college student living in Alexander, Virginia. I used to study at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. I went to just a few pow wows around that area and also in Maryland and Virginia.

I hope that answers your question. From Wendy
    =======================================

Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    I just discovered a Jeffries that married into my Teel family line that is said to be blackfoot. She is the wife of David Teel who is an older brother of my Jereta Teel Yeazel. Does anyone recognize this lady in their research?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=64835568

Cool Hello Seeker from Wendy

Hello Seeker,
    I had tried to send message to you with my family pedigree to explain the Anderson-McNabb connection.
    But I don't know if the message did go out or not because I don't see a copy of it in my inbox. It really
    bothered me. So will you please write to me at my email address: wmcunn92 at gmail.com

Thank you so that I can send my email to you to show you my family tree pedigree 7 generations back.

Thanks,
    Wendy
    ====================================

Quote Originally Posted by Grayparkeranderson View Post
    There is a Jeffries lady who is the wife of the Haliwa Saponi chief Lynch in North Carolina that I knew from 18 years ago when I was a college student living in Alexander, Virginia. I used to study at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. I went to just a few pow wows around that area and also in Maryland and Virginia.

I hope that answers your question. From Wendy
    =======================================