Thread: Possible Bass/Basse/Nansemond DNA Connection

Possible Bass/Basse/Nansemond DNA Connection

I just finished a genealogy project. Something unexpected popped up. The genealogist, who is also a genetic consultant, discovered that I have six DNA matches that go back to John and Elizabeth Bass/e. Elizabeth was a Nansemond. I also have two more DNA matches with no known Bass/e lines in their own family trees but have many DNA matches that also go back to John and Elizabeth Bass/e. So they are connected as well.

My birth mother's family came from Virginia {actually both sides of my biological family have deep Virginia roots} and had oral history of "Powhatan" ancestry- which might imply Nansemond ancestry.

The genealogist thinks I'm a direct descendant of John and Elizabeth Bass somehow. As an adopted person and someone of African-American descent, this could be impossible to prove. What does anyone here think? Does Nansemond ancestry seem possible? What should I do with this information?

You are at the right place to increase your Bass(e) knowledge. There are numerous threads and links to Bass info. Do you have any idea which of John and Elizabeth's children brings down your line? ....based on any of your DNA cousins' genealogy?
    Paternal: Dalton, Simpkins, Phillips, Montgomery, Goad, Cox, Quesenberry, Slinker, Strange, Jennings, White, Reed, Duncan, Green, Wade, Johnson, Lawrence,
    Maternal: Newton, Meadows, Lunsford, Satterfield, Jones, Mann, Hailey, Clements, Cozart, Howard, Mangum, Williams, Allen, Grant, Walker, Groves, Canaday, Talley, Rice, Glenn, Richardson, Winn, Bumpass, Gabriel, Tucker, Coleman, Collins, Lewis, Holiday, Miller, Moore, Beasley, Trotter, Evans, Day, Farrar, Lyon, Martin,

As a matter of fact, yes. I have five matches descended from Richard Basse Sr. HOWEVER, my highest ranking Basse matches {there's two of them} are descended from William Basse Sr. Also, I have two other matches who think they have a Basse connection and have collateral matches that are also descended from William Basse.

There is some controversy over the legitimacy of Richard Bass being truly the son of John Basse due to inconsistencies in the paper trail. Some say he died young, some say he was an unrelated Basse, and so forth.

Below is a link describing the situation:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...lure&id=I19033

I have only two William Basse Sr-descended matches so far {maybe three, I found someone on GEDmatch this morning} but they rank higher than all my Richard Bass matches- and both of my matches who suspect they have a Bass connection have matches also that rank higher with William Basse descendants.

I also match many non-native descendants of Nathaniel Bass in the north {I've been calling them the "Northern Bass"} but I don't know if this is important.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by battyboy12 View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes. I have five matches descended from Richard Basse Sr. HOWEVER, my highest ranking Basse matches {there's two of them} are descended from William Basse Sr. Also, I have two other matches who think they have a Basse connection and have collateral matches that are also descended from William Basse.

There is some controversy over the legitimacy of Richard Bass being truly the son of John Basse due to inconsistencies in the paper trail. Some say he died young, some say he was an unrelated Basse, and so forth.

Below is a link describing the situation:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...lure&id=I19033

I have only two William Basse Sr-descended matches so far {maybe three, I found someone on GEDmatch this morning} but they rank higher than all my Richard Bass matches- and both of my matches who suspect they have a Bass connection have matches also that rank higher with William Basse descendants.

I also match many non-native descendants of Nathaniel Bass in the north {I've been calling them the "Northern Bass"} but I don't know if this is important.

What do you think?
    I also read the Northern Bass and the Virginia Bass intermarried. So, either I'm matching on the unrelated Richard Basse line and I just happen to have two direct descendants of John and Elizabeth Bass or the legitimacy of Richard Basse is true and that's why I match them. OR I'm descended from the Northern Bass {unlikely as my family came almost exclusively from the south and I have no ancestors from Massachusetts or Connecticut} and have no Native connections on this line. The segments we share seem to be European in composition but I haven't gone into great detail on that.

Both these lines came from the south. I have no known ancestors from the Carolinas but most came from Virginia, where William Basse and some of his descendants stayed- so I'm leaning more towards William being the Bass child I'm descended from but I only match two of his confirmed descendants as opposed to the matched five of Richard's. My matches who suspect a Bass connection also have William Basse descendants as their higher-ranking Basse matches over Richard Bass descendants.

My Richard Bass five matches are more numerous but slightly more distant than my two William Bass matches.

Does anyone have any insight or information I missed that might help?

Just did some double-checking! I have three William Basse descended matches {maybe 4, reply pending} and they all have the same Lanier-Bass line. What does this indicate? They are my highest Bass matches.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Have you read Kianga Lucas' article?
    The Nansemond Indian Bass Family of Granville

GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Bass Lineage

Brothers Marc & Dreaming Hawk, & all of our brothers and sisters on this thread, Kenpaski Miwaki!

It's been a long time... I hope everyone and their families are doing well...

I had the chance to attend the 51st Haliwa-Saponi Pow-Wow in April, with my mother, and it was an amazing and emotional event... I can still feel the drums pounding through my entire body...

Anyway, with further research, I have found that my 4th Great grandmother was Frances Bass (b. 1780) of Halifax County, NC... I will check the thread for more BASS family research, and thank you for the link Brother Marc!

Billahuk,

Black Coyote
    Maternal... QUALLS | DAVIS | HARDY | TAYLOR | JOHNSON | BATCHELOR | DANIEL | BASS | EVANS | JONES | COBB | ROWZEE | PIERCE | WILLIAMS | ALLEN | HANCOCK | WHITE | BOULDEN | HUNT | UNDERWOOD |GATES | STREET | WOODWARD | OLMSTEAD

Paternal... HINES | HILLIARD | FOX

Connections... MCWILLIAMS | WHITEHEAD | SILVER | LYNCH | RICHARDSON | HEDGEPETH