Thread: Burden Family=Cherokee?

Burden Family=Cherokee?

I found out something interesting just now. This is for anyone with any knowledge of Cherokee genealogy- was my ancestor Thomas Burden {born abt. 1764, in VA or NC and died in 1870 in Greens Fork, Randolph, Indiana} part Cherokee or Native American? This family was listed as mulatto.
    His wife was named Priscilla Timbers.
    One of his daughters was called Nancy "Cherokee" Burden and he himself was apparently listed as "Cherokee" according to some people online. I even found one of their descendants Polly Bear {nee Smith} on the Final Rolls. Does anyone know anything about if the Burden family had Cherokee roots?
    Here's the link that makes the claims of Cherokee ancestry:
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by battyboy12 View Post
    I found out something interesting just now. This is for anyone with any knowledge of Cherokee genealogy- was my ancestor Thomas Burden {born abt. 1764, in VA or NC and died in 1870 in Greens Fork, Randolph, Indiana} part Cherokee or Native American? This family was listed as mulatto.
    His wife was named Priscilla Timbers.
    One of his daughters was called Nancy "Cherokee" Burden and he himself was apparently listed as "Cherokee" according to some people online. I even found one of their descendants Polly Bear {nee Smith} on the Final Rolls. Does anyone know anything about if the Burden family had Cherokee roots?
    Here's the link that makes the claims of Cherokee ancestry:
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

I am starting to see a pattern of Saponi connections in Greens Fork, Indiana. There is Greensfork Township, Randolph County - bordering Ohio and Wayne County Indiana. And nearby in Wayne County is the small town of 'Greens Fork'. Our Indiana Smith line has ancestors in Greensfork Township. One of them Jonah Heaton is living next to a Saponi head of household in 1830 Randolph County. This list is from Rick Haithcock's volume 100 and the person - William Hunt is a descendant of Saponi from Col William Eaton's land in NC.

I notice that Thomas Burden is living with Sizemore's and Smith's on the 1860 census. Our family is also connected to the Sizemore's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thomas_burden_1860.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	1024

Other people I have met via Saponi FB groups have ancstors in Greens Fork, Wayne County. These are small place. Greens Fork population today is just over 400.

Through DNA I've connected to Hatfield and Elliott lines. These are the surnames of the two people credited with the town's founding in 1818.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Blog Entries

Greensfork

Greensfork Township, Randolph County, IN and Greens Fork, Wayne County, IN. The name puts me in mind of the Saponi-Catawba community in Blackfork Ohio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greensfork.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	1022

If the Burden's were part of the denied Sizemore claims to the Cherokee Rolls then they were most likely Catawba not Cherokee. Have you checked for your ancestors in the Sizemore claims listed in Cherokee By Blood by Jerry Jordan Wright?
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch

Blog Entries

Another Greens Fork connection

Another connection I noticed in my genealogy. The Smith ancestor who had the most information on our lines - Dora's daughter Dora-Dorothy was married in Greens Fork 4 Feb 1933.