Thread: Jones/Cordell Family Lunenburg Co, Virginia --> Gallia Co, Ohio

Jones/Cordell Family Lunenburg Co, Virginia --> Gallia Co, Ohio

Just bringing this reply over here, so we don't take over the Thacker thread...

Quote Originally Posted by stacey.23 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    Tracing a Jones line back from Indiana I came across this site:

http://www.galliagenealogy.org/Censu...lackcensus.htm

This Jones line were said to be in Gallia County before continuing to Indiana in 1834.
    Hi Marc,

Was your Jones line in Lunenburg County, Virginia? I ask because the Cordell family that was in Greene and Darke Counties in Ohio passed through Gallia County from Lunenburg County, Virginia. Some of them were there in the 1830's, but most were there sometime between 1841-1848. I have one of the Cordell's death record and it states that his father was a Jones.

Stacey
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcSnelling View Post
    They were from that area of Southside VA. Most attribute them to Halifax County originally, one source has them in Mecklenburg, and their children are listed as born in Franklin County in most trees. Technically I think that this area would be Lunenburg County when David Jones (1747-1790) was born. Lunenburg County was formed in 1746. Halifax County was formed from Lunenburg in 1752. Mecklenburg was formed from Lunenburg in 1765. Pittsylvania was formed in 1767 from Halifax and Franklin was formed in 1786. All these counties are within the boundaries of the original 1746 Lunenburg County boundaries.

Searching for my Jones line has been the proverbial needle in a haystack. In the hopes of finding where in Virginia they came from, I traced the families that their children married into, as well as, several neighbors that showed up in Greene County, Ohio around the same time as them. One of their sons married into the Cordell family below, who had ties to Joneses. As far as I can tell, this Jones line doesn't connect to mine, but I didn't know if could tie into yours.

The death record of Macklin Cordell (1813-1910) states that his father is "Zacharia Jones" and his mother is "Cordell". I *think* Zachariah Jones and Zachariah Valentine (ca1766-aft1850) could be one in the same. The reasons I think they are the same are (1) Zachariah Valentine lived with Cordells in the 1850 census; (2) He registered with them in 1841; and (3) He was the surety on a 1789 marriage between Isham Lester and Elizabeth Jones Valentine. (Possible sister? Could be and it ties the Jones and Valentine names.) Here is what I have on him...

Since Zacariah Valentine was 84 years old in the 1850 census, I assume he died shortly afterwards in possibly Gallia County, Ohio. Some of the Cordells stuck around Gallia after 1850. The others moved on the Greene, Clark, and Darke Counties.

1850 Federal Census:
    District No. 42, Green Twp., Gallia County, Ohio; October 22, 1850; page 33 & 34; visit 1734/1744
    John Coddell, 40, male, white, farmer, Virginia, cannot read/write
    Cynthia Coddell, 42, female, white, Virginia, cannot read/write
    Catherine Coddell, 25, female, white, Virginia, cannot read/write
    William Coddell, 11, male, white, Ohio
    Christina Coddell, 8, female, white, Ohio
    Jonas Coddell, 5, male, white, Ohio
    Romane Coddell, 1 female, white, Ohio
    Zachariah Valentine, 84, male, mulatto, nothing, Virginia
    --- and ---
    1850 Federal Census:
    District No. 42, Green Twp., Gallia County, Ohio; October 24, 1850; page 35; visit 1759/1769
    Mac Coddell, 35, male, mulatto, laborer, Virginia, cannot read/write
    Martha Coddell, 30, female, black, Virginia, cannot read/write
    (next door)
    District No. 42, Green Twp., Gallia County, Ohio; October 24, 1850; page 35; visit 1760/1770
    Hamilton Coddell, 25, male, mulatto, laborer, Virginia, cannot read/write
    Harriet Coddell, 25, female, mulatto, Virginia, cannot read/write
    Sarah Coddell, 3, female, mulatto, Ohio

A List of Free Negroes and Mulattos
    Registered on the County of Lunenburg, Virginia
    From 1815 to 1850
    by Willie Ragsdale
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~valunenb/register.htm --> http://vagenweb.org/lunenburg/register.htm
    [page 10 of 13]
    Wyatt Cordle No. 101
    Edwin Cordle No. 102
    Carter Cardle, about 22 years of age, 5 feet 5 inches high, his hair bushy, about his ears, born free in the County of Lunenburg, registered 13 September 1841. No. 108
    Walker Cardle, about 21 years of age, his bushy hair about his ears, born free in the County of Lunenburg, registered 13 September 1841. No. 109
    Zachariah Valentine, age about 74 years of age, dark brown complexion, the hair on his head and his beard grey, 5 feet 10 and three quarter inches high, born and ordered to be
    registered. No. 110
    Maclen Cardle, about 16 years of age, yellow complexion, straight hair, about 5 feet 4 inches high, born free and ordered to be registered. No. 111
    Herbert Cardle, about 14 years of age, yellow complexion, straight hair, 5 feet 5 inches high, he was born free and ordered to be registered. No. 112
    Martha Ann Cardle, about 15 years of age, bright yellow complexion, 5 feet 2 inches high, she was born free, and ordered to be registered. No.113
    Turner Cardle, about 12 years of age, yellow complexion. No. 114
    Larkin Hazlewood, about 45 years old, bright yellow complexion, born free, registered October 1842. No.115

1840 Federal Census:
    Lunenburg County, Virginia; page 298 (47 & 48 of 53)
    Valentine, Zachariah (F.N.) (10 total; 1 in manufactures and trades)
    1 male under 10 (free colored persons)
    4 males 10 & under 24 (free colored persons)
    1 male 24 & under 36 (free colored persons)
    1 male 55 & under 100 (free colored persons)
    2 females 10 & under 24 (free colored persons)
    1 female 36 & under 55 (free colored persons)

1830 Federal Census:
    Lunenburg County, Virginia; page 29 (55 & 56 of 62)
    Valentine, Zachariah (F.N.) (14 total)
    1 female 40 to 50 (white)
    4 males under 10 (free colored persons)
    4 males 10 to 24 (free colored persons)
    1 male 55 to 100 (free colored persons)
    3 females under 10 (free colored persons)
    1 female 10 to 24 (free colored persons)

1810 Federal Census:
    Lunenburg County, Virginia; page 363 (34 of 38)
    Jane Volentine, 4 "all other free persons"
    Zachariah Valentine, 8 "all other free persons" (index says "Tacharcah Volentine")

MAGAZINE OF vIRGINIA GENEALOGY, VOL. 33, NO. 4 (01-Nov-1995); page 268 (on Ancestry)
    Lunenberg County, Virginia, 1814, Free Negroes
    Name(s):
    Zech. Valentine
    Ritter Lester
    Dolly Cordle, Eddins
    Cordle
    Qty Males: 2
    Qty Females: 2
    Place of Abode: Head of Kettlestick
    Trade &c: Shoemaker & Farmer

Library of Virginia, Lunenburg County, Free Negro & Slave Records, 1802-1803
    http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Lunenburgfree.htm
    May 12
    Lester, Isham, Children Ermin, Faith, Bolling, Jones, Anna, Ellick: 4 Males, 3 Females, Ditto, Farmers
    Valentine, Sarah, Zeckariah Valentine, Jane Valentine: 1 Male/ 2 Females, Kettlestick, Shoemaker & Spinners
    May 18
    Valentine, William: 1 Male, C. Run, Hireling
    Norton, William & Elizabeth his wife--Epes, Allen, Elizabeth Robson: 2 Males/ 2 Females, Bear's Element, Coopers
    Valentine, Sarah, Zachariah Valentine, Jane Valentine, Molly Valentine, Lively Valentine & Child Polly: 1 Male/ 5 Females, Kettlestick, Shoemaker & Farmers
    May 19
    Lester, Isham--Children Faithy, Ermin, Bowling, Jones, Elly, Sally, Anna: 3 Males/ 5 Females, Near Hawkins's, Planter

Lunenburg County, Virginia Marriage Bonds, 1763-1821 (on Ancestry)
    Name: Isam Lester
    Spouse: Elizabeth Jones Vallentine
    Marriage Date: 11 Dec 1789
    Surety, Zachariah Vallentine

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Not seeing a DNA connection between our Jones DNA samples and the Cardle/Cordle/Cordell/Coddell line.

Our Jones ancestors were in Clinton Co OH before Indiana.

Looking at my Potter line the first census that they are in Darke County is 1840. On that census my Thomas Potter is a few houses from Randolph Cutrel. Closest I'm seeing to that name.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White