Thread: Wildfang/Wildfong family...can anyone help?

Wildfang/Wildfong family...can anyone help?

Hello SaponiTown!

I'm Chris, I live in Ontario (north of Toronto) Canada. I have been doing genealogy research on my mother's side and have traced my ancestry back to a George Wilfong (Wildfong, Wildfang) born around 1725, who married a Sophia Veitheim. One of their sons was a George Wilfong who married a "Susannah Ruth" (not sure if Ruth is a last name, part of her given name, or perhaps name of a deceased former husband). I have been unable to find a shred of evidence about who Susannah Ruth was, but am greatly interested in the chance that she may have been (in part) Native in ancestry. Through online research I noticed that some of your bloggers/posters have quoted this very Wilfong family, particularly in the website:
    http://saponitown.com/forum/showthre...Cropp-Wiseman&

Do you know who I might ask to see if anyone has any information on whether there is Native American ancestry in the Wilfong family and/or associated families? Thank you very much in advance for any help or pointers you might be able to give me!

Sincerely,

Chris

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Mecou, welcome to SaponiTown Chris. Finally another Canuck!

The Wildfang name is not one I've seen before. It sounds German/Dutch. There are early Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants who came to Ontario in the 1700s when the Tutelo and Cayuga were burned out of NY and came to Six Nations in Brantford. Looking for where your ancestors were a few decades before and after 1800 might lead to some more clues.

Ruth is sometimes a variant of Routh. This is a line in my tree that is by several accounts a mixed Saponi line. My lines are descendants of early Quaker Lawrence Routh - who was a first cousin to William Penn (same maternal Jasper grandmother)

peace
    -Marc
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Hi Chris,

I was one of the original posters that you mentioned. My 4th Great-Grandmother is Mary Wilfong. She was born 1795 in either Culpepper or Pendleton County, (West) Virginia. (I have seen both places listed.) She married Henry Stone and they came to Indiana around 1822. If online trees are believable, her father is Jacob Wilfong and her grandparents are George Michael Wilfong and Sophia Veitheim. (I just haven't proven it beyond Mary.)

Most records that I have found so far put them in Pendleton Co, but I have a biography that was done on my Mary & Henry's son and it states that they were natives of Culpeper County, VA and of German and Irish descent. This is my great-grandma's (who I personally knew) line. I was always told that her family was Scottish-Irish, which turned out to be partially true. Her mother's line was part of the Scottish-Irish settlement in Augusta Co, VA. The Wilfong and the Stone (Stein, if you go far enough back) lines were her father's side. I just assumed that they were both German.

That being said, I have wondered if these German lines could have been part of the Germanna Colonies. From my understanding, the Germanna Colonies were on the outskirts of civilization and were the first defense from Indians and also traded with them, so I don't think it wouldn't have been impossible for them to have Indian wives. If you use the search feature, there are lots of posts on Saponitown about Germanna.

Suncerae's family is the one that had stories of Indian ancestry in her line. She hasn't posted in a while, but you might try replying to her original post that you linked to. If there is still a valid email linked, she should get a notice that someone has replied to her thread. :-)

Stacey