Thread: Randolph County, Indiana - 1830 Census - Haithcock research + genetic genealogy

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory

Randolph County, Indiana - 1830 Census - Haithcock research + genetic genealogy

In Chief Rick Haithcock's latest book he lists 21 'heads of household' on the 1830 Randolph County, Indiana census:

William Canada
    Henry Canady
    Elias Coleman
    William Gillum
    Jesse Green
    John Guy
    Mark Heathcock
    Olive Heathcock
    Edward Hunt
    William Hunt
    Samuel Jeffrey
    Willis Jeffrey
    Alfred Long
    Aaron Mills
    Ann Mills
    Malichi Nichols
    Aaron Richardson
    David Simmons
    William Stanley
    Lewis Wooten
    (and Asa Jones from Halifax NC who passed in Ohio en route to Indiana)

This list caught my attention as many of my ancestors were in Randolph County, and for the Canada name. The only place I've seen this surname is in Haithcock books and the family trees of some of my DNA cousins. When I looked up William Canada I found he was admitted to the Cherry Grove Monthly Meeting (Quaker) on 11 Dec 1830. My Smith, Routh and Good ancestors were also members of this meeting. My ancestors Isom Good, Mary 'Polly' Routh, and David B Smith are buried in the Cherry Grove Friends cemetery.

I looked at this list a little closer and saw that the majority were in Greensfork Township, Randolph County. I looked at my own ancestors and this is what I found:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jonah_heaton_william_hunt_1820_greensfork.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	1019
    William Hunt is living next to my 5th g-grandfather Jonah Heaton in 1820. Jonah passed 27 Mar 1829 so would not be on the 1830 census. He was born 1788 in Berkeley, WV.

So I called Rick and asked him how he knew William Hunt was Saponi. He told me that William Hunt is a descendant of the Saponi families on Col William Eaton's land in the 1750s in Granville County NC.

This is significant because the best lead I have on who my Smith's were before changing their name is a Parrish line that I traced to Stem NC. As far as I can tell Stem is the same land or within 5 miles of Col William Eaton's land.

Also the Asa Jones who passed in Ohio I have seen mentioned before. Other Jones descendants in Indiana have listed him as a Blackfoot ancestor on affidavits in the 1900s.

So it seems very likely to me that some of my 'Indiana Jones-Smith' ancestors must have come from Col William Eaton's land. At the very least I have a working theory to research going forward.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Stem, NC

Marc, Stem is actually just outside of Oxford, NC in current Granville Co. Col. Eaton's land would be just south of Eaton's Ferry in current Vance or Warren (too lazy to get out a map;-) ..... a distance of 25 or 30 miles .... the same people.... they just spread west as the land opened up. Simon Jeffries land was just west and south of Col Eaton's place..... so ALL of old Granville was settled by mixed-bloods years before Lord Granville began giving out land grants. It was the claims made by this English aristocrat on property that had been occupied for many years that sent many of these families to the new frontier and eventually to Indiana. They refused to pay some Englishman for land that they felt was theirs from many years of occupancy.

Off topic....... about all of this land is in danger of flooding as Mathew slowly drowns us.
    Last edited by Dreaminghawk; 10-08-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Paternal: Dalton, Simpkins, Phillips, Montgomery, Goad, Cox, Quesenberry, Slinker, Strange, Jennings, White, Reed, Duncan, Green, Wade, Johnson, Lawrence,
    Maternal: Newton, Meadows, Lunsford, Satterfield, Jones, Mann, Hailey, Clements, Cozart, Howard, Mangum, Williams, Allen, Grant, Walker, Groves, Canaday, Talley, Rice, Glenn, Richardson, Winn, Bumpass, Gabriel, Tucker, Coleman, Collins, Lewis, Holiday, Miller, Moore, Beasley, Trotter, Evans, Day, Farrar, Lyon, Martin,

That helps. I was looking at the wrong part of the Tar River. It's hard to tell with the old map, but htink I have it right now...

Col William Eaton's Land

Name:	eaton_map.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1020

Those locations and Stem on current map:

Name:	eatons_land_stem.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	1021

Incidently some new cousins who have DNA tested are shedding light on our connections. New evidence is showing Parrish is not on the Smith line. It looks like they are on my grandfather's Marshall-Coppock-Bayley line. The connections are starting to get clearer.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch

Hope the Tar River has settled down. Scary looking flooding. Reminds me of the first time I visited Shamokin and the Susquehanna River area. They had markers showing how high the flood went in 2011.

With this Randolph County list I am seeing more connections. William Caniday is on the same page as our Samuel Bechtel in Stony Creek, Henry, Indiana in 1840.

Name:	william_caniday.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	1027

Name:	samuel_becktell_1840.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	1028

Indiana in 1830:

Name:	indiana1830.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1029

Via DNA we have a Canada cousin. He traces back to Leander 'Lee' Canada of Little Black, Randolph, Arkansas. His parents brick wall in Virgina-Carolina Piedmont. He marries Josephine Weed.

Name:	Leander_Lee_Canada.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	1030

This is Inez Smith's tree - my grandmother's mother, who passed in her thirties. I've circled the three ancestors who I have found living close to NC and IN households identified as Saponi in Rick Haithcock's last book.

Name:	circled.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1031