Thread: Gatewood, Evans, and David Bly of Amherst County, Virginia

Blog Entries

Gatewood, Evans, and David Bly of Amherst County, Virginia

My 5th great-grandfather, David Bly. He bought 130 acres on both sides of the Buffalo River near the Forks of Buffalo for £25 from William and Ann Gatewood on November 5, 1770. Their niece, Elizabeth Gatewood (daughter of William’s brother, Henry), was married to a Thomas Evans. Now, Thomas had a son named Stanhope Evans who was a neighbor of David Bly. Thomas and Elizabeth had a daughter, Mary, born after 1754, and David Bly was born in 1755. Mary is mentioned as the wife of David Bly in a couple of land sales (without her maiden name).

Also, on August 26, 1782, David Bly sold 300 acres on the Buffalo River to William Gatewood, Jr., Elizabeth Gatewood’s cousin whose parents sold David Bly his first land in Amherst County. It was in Lexington Parish.

In addition, on August 5, 1784, David Bly sold more land to William Gatewood, Jr., a son of William and Ann Gatewood. One of the witnesses was Henry Gatewood, a brother of Elizabeth Gatewood.

On December 5, 1785, John Upshaw bought two certain tracts or parcels of land containing 300 acres from Stanhope Evans and David Bly on the branches of the Buffalo River.

I have also researched the other neighbors of David Bly, and none had a neighbor who was old enough to be David Bly’s common law wife. Mary is mentioned on a couple of land sales as David Bly’s wife. Stanhope Evans and the Gatewoods’ are mention several times. His sister, Mary, was indeed common law wife to David.

John Bly, the son of David and Mary, had several children. One was named Elizabeth (perhaps named after Elizabeth Gatewood), and James Henry (perhaps named after Henry Gatewood).

I'm trying to verify this possible connection that David Bly was the common law husband of Mary Evans, the daughter of Thomas Evans and Elizabeth Gatewood, other than land deeds.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Morrissey View Post
    My 5th great-grandfather, David Bly. He bought 130 acres on both sides of the Buffalo River near the Forks of Buffalo for £25 from William and Ann Gatewood on November 5, 1770. Their niece, Elizabeth Gatewood (daughter of William’s brother, Henry), was married to a Thomas Evans. Now, Thomas had a son named Stanhope Evans who was a neighbor of David Bly. Thomas and Elizabeth had a daughter, Mary, born after 1754, and David Bly was born in 1755. Mary is mentioned as the wife of David Bly in a couple of land sales (without her maiden name).
    I've seen an Elizabeth Gatewood in DNA cousins's lines marrying into Collins, Rucker, Allen, Bacon and Merritt. Not sure if she is connected.

Elizabeth Betsey Gatewood b.1771 Amherst VA - 1861 Elbert GA. Daughter of Richard Gatewood 1740 VA - 1794 GA, granddaughter of Henry Gatewood 1690 VA -1778 Spotsylvania VA and Tabitha Collins b 1718 Amherst VA - 1802 Elbert GA.

Also other cousins who descend from other children of Henry Gatewood - like Larkin Gatwood 1736-1805 - also marrying into Penn lines.

Haven't seen Bly lines among DNA cousins though.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Blog Entries

Hello Marc

I'm beginning to think that Mary was of Monacan ancestry, probably half since her son was listed as white in Kentucky and Indiana census records. He died by the age of 40. There were several Monacan women in that era who took the name Mary. It's probably a family secret that the family sure did hide very well.

Ottawa, Canada -unceded Algonquin territory
    Blog Entries
    Lately I've been learning more about Monacan history. Sometimes it seems Saponi is kind of a synonym for Siouan. Like Airy Dixon's article - A Saponi by Any Other Name is Still a Siouan.
    GrandMother - Potter, Jones, Smith, Gates, Walburn, Good, Routh, Redfern, Brower, Bechtel, Buck, Wiley, Beeler, Kyger, Heaton, Stainbrook, Ihinger, McColley, Thomas, Franklin, Warden, Hurst, Schule, Mauler, Weller, Snyder
    GrandFather - Drybread, Wheatley, Marshall, Cotton, Kitchen, Passmore, Harrell, Coppock, Pontius, Zeller, Waters, Charlton, Sager, Barbee, Wimberley, Decker, Nay, Hibbs, Tucker, Irwin, Baker, Cone, Llewellyn, Bayley, Miller->Bunch
    DNA - Parrish, Merritt, White

Blog Entries
    I looked into it, and Elizabeth Gatewood never set foot in Amherst County. She was married to Henry Perkins. And Elizabeth's parents were Katherine Carter and William Gatewood. How someone linked Elizabeth Gatewood to Thomas Evans who passed away in 1776 in Amherst County I have no clue. I read on the Monacan website that my Thomas Evans married a Monacan woman. Now, William and Charles, two of his sons, settled on John's settlement. The other children I can not account for, except Mary, my 5th great-grandmother. Her son, John, passed for 'white' in Rockcastle, Kentucky, in an 1810 Census which was not unusual. The 1790 and 1800 Censuses were supposedly destroyed by the British in the War of 1812.

I can't find the parents of my Thomas Evans anywhere. Maybe he is somehow related to the Evans families of Granville County, VA, or to Trader John Evans. Somehow, someway, I have a feeling that one day I might find out.