Thread: John Adams

John Adams

Hi I have researched my Adams family to the early 1700' s (this was John Adams) to N.Va, John's children moved to Wilkes ,Surrey co. NC.to Tenn. to Ky , Missouri, my line moved to Wv. Other surrnames in the family are Caudill, Mullins, Hall, Blair,Butler , McCoy. there are legends in the family that we are native americans, and recently I have found that these names are associated with Melungeons. any help is greatly appreicated thanks tom

Hi Tom, warm Welcome to you.
    John Adams shares his name with a large number of people. It must have been quite a chore to track his line back to the 1700s.
    If you list some specifics as to dates and locations (county & state) for your John Adams, someone here may have him in their lines or be able to help you further.

John Adams

HI Bill I think that i have the right john adams sr. was born in Sussex or Loudoun co. around 1727 married Ann Cauldill (some say Ann Stephens) I think he was the son of Benjiman Adams born around 1701, in Sussex co. Va.
    you are correct there quite a few John Adams' but I think that is my ancestor. thanks tom

What does your family story say about an Indian connection?

Okay, let's clarify the area we need to look for any existing records in .........
    Louden County was created in 1767 from Fairfax which was created in 1742 from Prince William County, so some of the records are going to be in those other counties. I have a list of Wills and Inventories for various ADAMS's from Louden, Fairfax, Sussex and earlier Surry. Did your John Adams d.abt. 1752 or so in that area? (Wills of Fairfax Co., later Louden Co.)
    Sussex County was created in 1754 from Surry which was created in 1652 from James City so there's not much slippage there.

Is your John Adams from the Adams's of "Mount Gilead", near Centreville in present day Louden Co.? [There's a mess of Wills and such and a letter describing one of them as "of dark complexion with black eyes and hair" ( ! ) and his grandson like-wise (this is the line of Abednego,3 (b.abt.1721); Francis,2; Francis,1)
    - I kid you not.]
    anyway.......
    Did one of his sons settle about 1754 on Tom's Creek, a branch of the New River in S.W. Virginia (lived next to Jacob HARMON) ?

Tell me more about your Adams's that went to NC and about when you think they went there. Probably have a record or two.

Man ! you're in a deep profession "down" there..... once had a "choice" of farming a hillside or helping dig a mine .........
    joined the Service instead 'hat's off to you - it's cold up here.
    Bill

John Adams

hi Bill you are a wise man for not entering the mines
    My John Adams lived in the blueridge foot hills on land that he leased from lord Thomas Fairfax . not sure where this land was but it is described as south side of Blue Ridge on the line of William Fitshugh and the corner of Edmondson by a swamp. I doubt if this helps as you can see I don't get out much.
    John Adams moved to Roaring River NC about 1777 , and his children moved with him or soon after , two of his son fought in the Revol.war. I suspect they finished up there tour before they moved.
    there was never a specific reference but just a general tale that we have indian ancestors, so I have been trying make a connection, to Saponi, pamunkey, powhatton, and now the mattiponi

I'll get back to you.

Hello Tom, and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to say hello and to say you guys are correct about John Adams being a common name. My late husband was from the New England line of President John Adams.

Brenda

HI Brenda thank you for welcoming me to forum,
    Hi Bill thank you for all your help,
    I think that John Adams is as common as John Smith.
    I have been lost in John Adamsville for a long time, sorting through them is very difficult, I am still not sure of some of them.. tom

Tom,
    I'll need some more names to tie anything together.
    One thing of note: Some CAUDILL's in S.E. Ky are of Indian descent and some are living in amongst the COLLINS's of Lee Co, Russell Co., Va and Hawkins/Hancock Co., Tenn.
    Bill

john adams

HI Bill Here is how I have my Adams , I may not be correct, but I really think that it is. John Adams b.1727 in Stafford or Loudoun Co. Va. married Ann Caudill (some claim she was a Stephens which is possible)
    their children. some them
    John Adams Jr. b.1747 in Va, married Nancy Caudill
    Benjiman Adams b.1749 in Va married Henrietta Caudill
    Nancy Caudill and Henrietta were sisters and I think that their father was Benjiman Caudill, I can't find my notes on the Caudills
    Spencer Adams,
    Jacob Adams.
    Francis "Franky" married Stephen Caudill from Luxenberg co. Va

all of the Adams sons moved to Roaring River Nc. or in that area, from their homes in Va.
    I am not sure about John jr., Spencer, or Jacob, but Benjiman was given landgrants in NC. I suspect it was for his war service
    Benjiman , Jacob,Spencer moved to Floyd Co. Ky, which was split to form Perry co. letcher, pike co
    Stephen Caudill , (Henriette's brother) moved to Ky and most of the Caudill's in this area can trace their roots to him.
    Benjiman is my line, his son John W. Adams m. Martha (Patsy) Woofolk , their son s John Washington Adams b 1805 in Tenn. married Polly Hall in Perry co. Ky
    Joseph Adams married Dicie Mullins in Perry co. ky , John Wash. and Joseph moved to what is now Logan co. WV
    I know that someone else's family history is boring so tried to keep it short, but I have more info. if you want it. thaks tom

Thanks for the additional info. Family histories are never boring.
    I've mentioned the Caudill's before.
    Mullins is a name often mentioned on this forum.
    "Old" Floyd Co., Ky., was home to a lot of the ancestors of people on this forum. We'll have to look at the specific families involved with the Adams, but you may have already named them.

Also, Logan County, WV, is one county east of the Big Sandy, which was noted as "Tottero" river on an early explorers map, another word for Tutelo. There are many Blackfoot ID'd descendants in this area, and others family names associated with the VA/NC Siouan.

Hi LInda I have never heard of the tutelo people in Logan, I have been reading everything I can find on them.
    I was told when I was growing up in logan, that the County was named for Chief Logan of the Wyanndots or Guyanndotts cant' really remember the tribe., I never check out the tribes roots. and the town was named Aracoma for Chief Cornstalk's dau. . the name was later changed to Logan.
    the is a lot of history that doesn't make into the books, what a pity. thanks tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom adams View Post
    HI Bill Here is how I have my Adams , I may not be correct, but I really think that it is. John Adams b.1727 in Stafford or Loudoun Co. Va. married Ann Caudill (some claim she was a Stephens which is possible)
    their children. some them
    John Adams Jr. b.1747 in Va, married Nancy Caudill
    Benjiman Adams b.1749 in Va married Henrietta Caudill
    Nancy Caudill and Henrietta were sisters and I think that their father was Benjiman Caudill, I can't find my notes on the Caudills
    Spencer Adams,
    Jacob Adams.
    Francis "Franky" married Stephen Caudill from Luxenberg co. Va

all of the Adams sons moved to Roaring River Nc. or in that area, from their homes in Va.
    I am not sure about John jr., Spencer, or Jacob, but Benjiman was given landgrants in NC. I suspect it was for his war service
    Benjiman , Jacob,Spencer moved to Floyd Co. Ky, which was split to form Perry co. letcher, pike co
    Stephen Caudill , (Henriette's brother) moved to Ky and most of the Caudill's in this area can trace their roots to him.
    Benjiman is my line, his son John W. Adams m. Martha (Patsy) Woofolk , their son s John Washington Adams b 1805 in Tenn. married Polly Hall in Perry co. Ky
    Joseph Adams married Dicie Mullins in Perry co. ky , John Wash. and Joseph moved to what is now Logan co. WV
    I know that someone else's family history is boring so tried to keep it short, but I have more info. if you want it. thaks tom
    Tom my ancestor is John W. Adams, can you give more info on him? I need some proof that Joseph was John's brother. Thanks so much